on 5 March 2015
What more can be said about Shakespeare? These sonnets show a wonderful range of feelings; love and loss, hope and joy, all expressed in peerless terms. He can be ironic, even sarcastic, mocking, almost aggressive in opinion. SRhakespeare is a master of the form, and this is a pleasure to study or merely read for pleasure, to read large chunks or merely dip in when the mood takes.Read it, if only to say you tried!
on 6 November 2012
Shakespeare's sonnet invention of having cross rhymes in the first twelve lines with the last two lines as a couplet certainly gives the poet room to move and to move his readers. Even though this is in an olden style of English, I was still able to lightly trip through most of them and understand their meaning. He uses some clever debating and contrasting ploys, but of course they are all essentially about love. I sought phrases and lines that have not been previously highlighted as infamous Shakespeare quotes and felt well rewarded in Sonnets XV, LX, LXIV. I particularly liked the line in Sonnet L "My grief lies onward, and my joy behind". My three favourite sonnets were XXVII which starts "Weary with toil, I haste me to my bed ..." , XLVII which begins "Betwixt mine eye and heart a league is took ..." and LXXVI beginning with "Why is my verse so barren of new pride ...". I wonder what he would think of them if he could come back and read through them again. I only gave my review four stars because I yearned for Shakespeare to write some sonnets on other topics!
on 10 April 2013
Shakespeare's sonnets hardly need reviewing! This Kindle version though is the best value way of reading and re-reading them in order to know them better. I discovered a great many details that I had never noticed before, and as someone who aspires to write poetry I learned a lot and was re-inspired. Is there a better value way to explore The Bard's poetry? Four stars, not five?? . . . Only because in the end nothing beats holding the actual book in your hand as you read. No other reason.
on 26 July 2014
You can only admire such writing by a man from centuries past. I bought this after reading how the Sonnets inspired and continue to inspire Simon Callow, the actor. Shakespeare did not inspire me greatly in my school days, I must admit but I like to think that age has given me a better understanding.
VINE VOICEon 8 February 2009
The Dover Thrift edition of Shakespeare's sonnets contains all his sonnets with no adornment, no commentary, and no "translation". All it contains is the great man's words - what more do you need ? There is a very brief introduction and a short glossary of some word meanings, but nothing compared to the analysis and commentary you get in other editions. It is a slim book on fairly cheap paper - easy to carry about with you; and what do you expect for £1.25 ? I love it !
on 15 September 2014
This rating is not judge of Shakespeare's writing, as I feel he has been reviewed so many times by this point, I don't feel have much more to add, instead I would judge this copy.

I will admit, I bought this copy solely for the cheap price, but it does feel very cheap. The paper quality is poor, the layout, with multiple sonnets per page is rather disappointing.
on 1 July 2017
Dreadful. The layout is so bad you have no idea where one sonnet end and the other begins. Very poor use of punctuation and capital letters which made it hard to read. I have deleted this book from my kindle.
on 26 November 2012
La temática de los sonetos de William Shakespeare va más allá del amor cortés y toca temas como el sexo, la política y las rivalidades literarias. Shakespeare no innovó en cuanto a forma, pues el verso llamado "shakesperiano" no fue invención suya, pero si lo hizo en el tratamiento de los temas, como podemos apreciar en el soneto número 130 con una descripción de su amada que se haya lejos del ideal de la madona de Petrarca, o en el soneto número uno, donde se compara el amor con el hambre.
Ríos de tinta se han vertido sobre las figuras que se encuentran detrás de los misteriosos "fair youth" y "dark lady", se ha querido ver en ellos a personalidades de la época como William Herbet, a quien dedicó alguna de sus primeras obras, o a Henrey Wriothesley como el joven misterioso y como la dama terrible a Emilia Lanier o a Mary Fitton, pero como otros muchos detalles de la vida del autor, existen más teorías que certezas.

La edición que nos ocupa hoy es de reducido tamaño, el justo para albergar un soneto en cada página, con una primorosa presentación: tapa dura, con un punto de lectura en escarlata y filigrana dorada en su papel de biblia. Perfecto para contener poemas. La única pega que se le puede encontrar es lo suave del papel y la falta de anotaciones, pero para ello es más recomendable adquirir una edición como las de Arden.
on 26 April 2017
I love the sonnets, and it's nice to have them in printed form. The book itself was printed on nice paper and well presented until the contents, which were all over the place - I'm not sure if this was a printing error just in my copy, but the formatting was bizarre and there seemed to be no coherent presentation. Still, they are beautiful.
on 18 July 2017
They're Shakespeare's sonnets - if you love the plays you'll love the sonnets.