on 11 May 2012
After recently downloading the MP3 album Shakespeare: The Sonnets I dug out my copy of 'The Complete Works of William Shakespeare' to see the words as I listened to the music. I bought it for thirteen shillings (65p) in 1970 and the forty plus years since then have not been kind to it (browned considerably) nor my eyesight - the font is tiny! So when I saw this Kindle book I was delighted. It is absolutely perfect for me and I did not have to pay a penny for it.

On my Kindle for PC I can have the font supersize if I want and I also have all 154 Sonnets at my fingertips for when I am ready to go beyond the eleven on the album. I am so very pleased with it.

Regarding its very basic format, viz one Sonnet after another with no 'contents' or index, you could do as I have just done and add a note to every Sonnet. It takes a little while but it is so worth doing. So far I have just listed their numbers (standard Arabic) and it has been a positive exercise for I have been reminded of the Roman numeral system. Later I will be adding the first line of each Sonnet.

I'm actually quite glad that this book is so basic. By getting involved in its structure and providing the contents myself I will be more inclined to read the Sonnets rather than have them 'gathering dust' as my old Hardback has.
This is a perfectly decent reading version of Shakespeare's Sonnets. I find that I have to set the type slightly smaller than I'd like for them to format properly, but it's not a big problem. The texts seem accurate and overall it's a good, serviceable e-edition – and excellent value for free, of course.

(I would not presume to attempt a review of the Sonnets themselves.)
on 5 March 2015
What more can be said about Shakespeare? These sonnets show a wonderful range of feelings; love and loss, hope and joy, all expressed in peerless terms. He can be ironic, even sarcastic, mocking, almost aggressive in opinion. SRhakespeare is a master of the form, and this is a pleasure to study or merely read for pleasure, to read large chunks or merely dip in when the mood takes.Read it, if only to say you tried!
on 6 November 2012
Shakespeare's sonnet invention of having cross rhymes in the first twelve lines with the last two lines as a couplet certainly gives the poet room to move and to move his readers. Even though this is in an olden style of English, I was still able to lightly trip through most of them and understand their meaning. He uses some clever debating and contrasting ploys, but of course they are all essentially about love. I sought phrases and lines that have not been previously highlighted as infamous Shakespeare quotes and felt well rewarded in Sonnets XV, LX, LXIV. I particularly liked the line in Sonnet L "My grief lies onward, and my joy behind". My three favourite sonnets were XXVII which starts "Weary with toil, I haste me to my bed ..." , XLVII which begins "Betwixt mine eye and heart a league is took ..." and LXXVI beginning with "Why is my verse so barren of new pride ...". I wonder what he would think of them if he could come back and read through them again. I only gave my review four stars because I yearned for Shakespeare to write some sonnets on other topics!
on 26 July 2014
You can only admire such writing by a man from centuries past. I bought this after reading how the Sonnets inspired and continue to inspire Simon Callow, the actor. Shakespeare did not inspire me greatly in my school days, I must admit but I like to think that age has given me a better understanding.
on 13 March 2014
Ashamed to say, it has taken me until I'm well into my fifth decade, to get around to reading these and how I wish I'd made the effort sooner!

These are stunningly good. A Mater making best use of his tools. This is the English language best used, with elegance and understanding.

Found it helped to read the sonnets out loud, to truly appreciate the rhythm and cadence.

Breathtakingly brilliant!!
on 10 April 2013
Shakespeare's sonnets hardly need reviewing! This Kindle version though is the best value way of reading and re-reading them in order to know them better. I discovered a great many details that I had never noticed before, and as someone who aspires to write poetry I learned a lot and was re-inspired. Is there a better value way to explore The Bard's poetry? Four stars, not five?? . . . Only because in the end nothing beats holding the actual book in your hand as you read. No other reason.
on 26 April 2017
I love the sonnets, and it's nice to have them in printed form. The book itself was printed on nice paper and well presented until the contents, which were all over the place - I'm not sure if this was a printing error just in my copy, but the formatting was bizarre and there seemed to be no coherent presentation. Still, they are beautiful.
on 26 August 2015
I have always enjoyed Shakespeare's works, and perhaps, as we go through different periods of our lives, our likes and dislikes change but I really did not enjoy this. It's another book waiting for a new home!
on 28 March 2013
I used to dislike these when I had to deal with them in school but now I have favourites. I think it was the quoting of one of the sonnets in Sense & Sensibility which made me look at them again, & although there are still some I'm not keen on, as a little light reading they are a pleasure.