on 23 December 1999
An unusual book that reflects Dumas's views of both honour and chivalry as well as his interest in esoteric societies. Woven into the adventure romp are countless referernces to the philosophical dilemas that confront man's existence and most of all regarding his relationship with fellow man. It is hard not to identify with the politically incorrect charcters of the four heroes and even the villains lack any real malice.
By far and away the best aspect (for me) is the astoundingly uplifting quality of the narrative. Comparable to three pints of Youngs on an empty stomach after half a chapter you will feel that all is right with the world and after the battle scenes you may feel it necessary to re-enact the sword play with an old golf club.
Far outshines the authors other work and will provide you with many hours priceless entertainment.
on 3 June 2011
Having read The Three Musketeers several times over the years, I wished to read the 'e' version by way of a test. It has been my first Kindle-book.

I have been very disappointed to find so very many errors of spelling, and translation. it's as though someone has very rapidly transposed the novel from page to computer, with no proof-reading afterwards. A great shame to spoil so wonderful a book.
on 27 March 2013
With a timeless classic like this, there is no doubt that the storyline will be great, but with it being a foreign classic, translations are always an issue. Sometimes they don't read well, sometimes they stray too far from the point that the author was trying to convey. This Wordsworth edition has it spot on!
A definite must-read!
I think everyone must know the story of D'Artagnan, how he wants to join the King's Musketeers, and makes friends with Athos, Porthos and Aramis who are already musketeers. Fighting against the intrigues of the cardinal, Richelieu, they also come up against Milady, as they carry out a secret mission for the Queen.

Over the years this has appeared in many editions, and many media formats, and I expect that like myself most people read it when they were still quite young. But this is a tale that is always worth reading for any age. It has romance, intrigue and loads of adventure, and is most definitely fast paced. So if you have never read this before, or are thinking about re-reading it again, then download this copy to your kindle and escape to a different world.
on 2 June 2003
My first introduction to 'the three musketeers' was during my childhood when I used to avidly watch 'dogtanian and the three muskehounds' - you may well laugh, but years later my fond memories of this cartoon impelled me to read the book. Yes the book is much better than any cartoon or film version, but when you read it you realise why. Basically, the characters are initially introduced in a rather sketchy manner - you only 'get to know' the characters as you read through the book. It is therefore understandable that this is difficult to portray in a film - hence reading the book is a must, it is a classic.
on 5 November 2011
Having some of the classics free for e-books has allowed me to delve into some of these older books,that otherwise I might not have read at all. I read a similar version when I was a lot younger and like most people have enjoyed the various films about the musketeers, and perish the thought that I should forget Dogtanian and the three muskehounds(showing my age here).

I thoroughly enjoyed this book it has some great characters who are covered in great depth so that you feel you know them.The interactions between them, both heroes and villains,are both realistic and varied.
The story itself is well known and has a good pace with sub-plots for all the characters interlacing the main plot. I was quite surprised how long the book was, some of the other classics I have read would not even be half the size of this book, but it was still never boring or slow.
I must mention that although there are the four main heroes of the book, the lackeys/servants of the musketeers play an important part in keeping the book interesting,the mention of d'artagnan's planchet always make me think of Roy kinnear who played a very good planchet in one of the films of the three musketeers, who sadly died while making the last film. The memory of his long suffering but loyal planchet made it easier to relate to the poor lackeys who shine in the story but never get the glory.

An excellent read especially not to be missed while it is free or cheap, I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys a good book.

Hope this helps
on 29 June 2009
I'd always wanted to read this book, having seen numerous films. However, all of those paled compared to this wonderful historical novel. I'm not one for lengthy descriptions normally, but the narratvie had the perfect mix of description and dialogue. I read it over three weeks, (when I should have been revising for my incredibly important, life changing exams oops) and felt that the chararcters were all well crafted and didn't always seem to fit the allegorical roles, with even the antagonists having their moments and the protagonists having their failings.
Overall, this is truly an epic and I enjoyed the history, and although not always accurate I felt it was still plausible enough to class as historical fiction.
on 18 February 2014
This is a great swashbuckling adventure story about a bull-headed young man called d'agtanion and his 3 muskateer friends. It is funny and sad and I wish I had read it as a child, but it's never too late. This novel is fun, but hasn't got the gravitas of The Count of Monte Cristo. I gave this particular e-book 4 stars because the translation was a little old fashioned; however, it was a free download.
on 27 March 2014
This book I read many years ago and to read it again was a pleasure. For those looking for something similar to the BBC TV series the book is deeper and although some of the ideas are (at a very high level) similar the program can not live up to the book.

A very good read
on 4 November 2014
This is an old classic, and I've read it before, many years ago, in Norwegian, but I didn't remember that much. The language is a bit oldfashioned, but you get used to it. I guess in some ways it's an adventure book for boys, but I like history andperiod costumes, and I don't know much about France in the 1600s, so I found it interesting in that way. It's a bit stereotyped, e.g. one woman is unbelievably evil, the others are all pure and innocent and have to be rescued. The Musketters, the heroes of the story, can always get out of every quandary, even if they may get wounded in the process. I was not impressed with their morals, but according to the author those were the morals of that time. Still, an entertaining read.