on 3 August 2016
This is half what I expected; half not.
First, my prior knowledge of the Three Musketeers was the film with Michael York, Oliver Reid etc. and the cartoon version 'Dogtanian and the Muskerhounds' which I watched when I was eight years old.
It turns out that the latter stuck to the original plot, remarkably faithfully, at least for the first half of the book; the former keeps to the spirit very well.
You can see why this was a sensation in the 19th century, with a great hero, arguably THE supreme femme fatale and a terrific supporting cast. There's a lot of bed-hopping, sword play, drunkenness and general bravado. All this is also why it's regularly put on screen, I guess.
What is a romp in the 19th century isn't so fast paced now, so be prepared for quite a long read. it's also got a more downbeat, dark edge than you might expect. Through the lot of Milady, the reader is asked to consider the powerlessness of women in the society of the time.
Milady de Winter.
Seriously enjoyable.
on 13 October 2017
I thought Camus was long, but this one really takes its time. I am a great fan of both Dumas's and this is a real old-fashioned sword swinging romance. I am not familiar with this period of French history and there is a danger in taking fiction as historical fact. But though written a couple of hundred years after the events portrayed, you do feel it must have been sort-of like this, an era of peacock men who would fix up a duel at the slightest provocation, and manipulative, scheming women at the top The lackeys and handmaids had not such a nice time of course, but that was ever the way. I like the way the story is based on facts, like the assassination of the Duke of Buckingham by John Felton. All in all a rattling good read by a master story teller,
on 4 November 2014
This is an old classic, and I've read it before, many years ago, in Norwegian, but I didn't remember that much. The language is a bit oldfashioned, but you get used to it. I guess in some ways it's an adventure book for boys, but I like history andperiod costumes, and I don't know much about France in the 1600s, so I found it interesting in that way. It's a bit stereotyped, e.g. one woman is unbelievably evil, the others are all pure and innocent and have to be rescued. The Musketters, the heroes of the story, can always get out of every quandary, even if they may get wounded in the process. I was not impressed with their morals, but according to the author those were the morals of that time. Still, an entertaining read.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 20 September 2017
The writing style in translation is dated now but there is nothing that stops this from being a rip-roaring adventure story, told with tongue firmly in cheek.

Recent films have gone too far with the tongue-in-cheek side of things. It is worth returning to the original, suspending critical faculties and just enjoying a good read that has stood the test of time.
VINE VOICEon 16 December 2012
To anyone skipping through these reviews I would say 'Go on, give it a go!'. You may think you know the story from Sunday evening tele or a blockbuster film (depending on your age) but there is so much more in the book to enjoy.

It is also free and, personally, I had no problems with the kindle version. In fact, it was quite handy to use the Notes tools and also avoid forearm cramp.

This is a very easy read from a great story-teller. You can't help feeling that Dumas enjoyed writing this, often with tongue firmly in cheek. Of course it is long, but it sped by. There's more humour than you may expect and 'Milady' is a memorable villainess.
on 20 April 2014
It is a wonderful thing , to choose , and read one of the classic tales. Having seen the many motion picture productions adapted from this book, I found , as many of us do, that the book contains far more that film ever does.
The characters are beautifully written , the agent of fear in the story isn't the one that Hollywood usually portrays.
The evil in this story is , in fact a female. "Milady". Working for Cardinal Richelieu as his spy and assassin she becomes embroiled in the lives of our hero marketeers. Royalty , Cardinals , murder , warfare and true love all together in a rollicking great adventure.
All for one , and one for all!
on 22 September 2014
If you've seen the films, any of them, this has little in common with any of them other than the names of the main characters. It is a far better story than the Hollywood interpretations although the ending was slightly disappointing. Not going to say why you have to read it for yourself and arrive at your own conclusion. I've subsequently read 20 Years After and intend to read Dumas' other works.
on 28 January 2017
Well written and full of plots and counterplots. Brings memories of old TV attempts at creating programs based on this book which never quite created the atmosphere the book creates in your own mind as you read it
on 10 June 2015
At first I didn't think I was going to like this old classic - too little boyish - but I got into it and thoroughly enjoyed it. Dumas got a bit carried away at times, especially when the wicked Milady was fabricating the tale of the injustice she had endured (to Felton) but, nevertheless, it was a marvellous bit of pretence.

The kindle reader had difficulty deciphering French names but it was funny, as was the writing, which surprised me. I'm so glad I persevered.
on 18 February 2014
This is a great swashbuckling adventure story about a bull-headed young man called d'agtanion and his 3 muskateer friends. It is funny and sad and I wish I had read it as a child, but it's never too late. This novel is fun, but hasn't got the gravitas of The Count of Monte Cristo. I gave this particular e-book 4 stars because the translation was a little old fashioned; however, it was a free download.