on 17 August 2013
I shopped around for ages trying to find the best DAB radio and decided on this one. It is made by the trusted Sony brand, has an attractive 'new retro' design and two big speakers. Anything less expensive has smaller speakers, is less pretty to look at, or is made by a less reliable company (in my opinion only).
I have used it for a week now and I'm really pleased with it. It is really good quality-it looks as expensive as it was, or better. The black top part is lovely and smooth shiny black quality plastic (looks like glass-is great) and the dials have a high-quality feel to them and turn very smoothly. The display is simple and attractive. The wood-effect looks great and is easy to clean. The grill in front of the speakers also looks of a high quality. It has two great speakers that provide excellent quality sound as loud as you can stand. No distortion even when you have it loud enough to hear over ear-defenders and a belt sander! Very impressed.
Digital radio far exceeds normal radio and without trying to be drammatic it has changed my life: I am currently refurbishing a farmhouse and having Smooth 70's, Absolute 80's, and Absolute 90's makes boring jobs fun-there is also no sound distortion as I always had with normal radio.
The only possible downside is the price and that it is not battery operated, but most digital radios are expensive compared to normal radios and this one was relatively good value compared to other digital radios. Also I don't mind at all that you have to plug it in for it to work. Great radio, it would make a fantastic present.
on 22 September 2013
Bought this because my friend has the same model but a few years old and white colour! It has a lovely sound bass treble etc
So on the strength of that I bought this new model,only to find that the sound is nowhere near as good the older model sounds bit tinny not the same quality build.
The Pure DAB is much better quality and the sound knocks the Sony out of the window!
Have returned item
on 22 October 2012
Got a great deal on this excellent DAB DAB+ radio which has the usual high Sony quality. I have several DAB radios eg pure, denon, yamaha and the Sony is currently one of the best.

Sound quality = good (but this can be improved by using the stereo 3.5mm jack out; tip: the Revo BLOk in brown is almost a perfect match and triples sound quality)
Tuning = excellent (auto scan is fast and accurate)
Reception = excellent (really long aerial)
Build quality = excellent
Looks = very good, could be a touch smaller perhaps
Features = Above average (DAB+ available but only has 10 presets)
Form factor = Average (buttons unlit are hard to see at night, and all look the same)
Price/Value = Excellent (assuming you get it under £70)

Overall 4/5 (and if you take sound out to hifi etc 5/5)
on 7 June 2012
As long as you have decent DAB reception the sound quality for the price is excellent. You can monitor the strength of the signal on the display panel to find the optimum position. As with all radios it receives the best signal upstairs or on a windowsill. I had to take it upstairs and use the 'all scan' feature, which will pick up everything it can and I was then able to receive a much better signal downstairs. You need to determine final position first then put it straight in place. If you move it again you will have to start the process all over! Even though the BBC stations are described as 'fair' for this area I have excellent reception, the FM signal is less impressive but the PURE radio I previously purchased was even worse. Neither compare with a decades old Roberts radio for FM reception. Overall, it sounds better than the PURE evoke one, which I returned due to poor performance.

It seems pretty solid and I like the retro look. It would have been nice to have real wood and chrome rather than laminate and silver plastic but I guess I'd rather have the lower price on balance. It's remarkably similar to my much loved 80's Robert's radio.

It was very easy to get started straight out of the box, I didn't need to refer to the instruction book. You can store 10 DAB and 10 FM stations and it has a timer for 60, 45, 30 and 15 minutes if you want to nod off with it. It automatically displayed the correct date and time as soon as it was plugged in. It doesn't have an external antennae port but does sport a standard headphone jack. It will only run off mains power, which is fine with me as I'd rather not pay for something I don't need.

All in all very pleased, it's a great little kitchen or bedroom radio with the added bonus of DAB+.
on 6 September 2011
DAB reception was good, but FM was very poor (considerably worse than my cheap analogue 20 year old boom-box radio) with lots of hiss, interference, and poor signal strength.

Rang Sony and they were very helpful, but could only suggest re-setting the radio, which didn't help.

Sound quallity was reasonable. The design could be improved with the addition of a line-out socket and some way of attaching an external aerial.
on 19 December 2012
Bought this on the strength of reviews and it was in the daily deals (£40). First impressions out of the box are good, it looks good but how does it perform?
Setting up is easy, plug in the select auto-scan via the menu. Sound quality is very good and it goes fairly loud, depends on where your using it. I am using it in my bedroom so no need for excessive volume. If your using it downstairs in the lounge then hook it up to your hi-fi via the 3.5mm headphone jack and it will shine.
The LCD is fairly bright and there is no way to turn it down, a dimmer feature would have been nice and because of this lack of feature I gave it 4 instead of 5 stars.

Someone reviewed this unit and said there were no presets - There are 10 presets for DAB and 10 presets for FM

I have 2 other DAB sets, both PURE and this unit is far superior to them.
on 18 June 2013
I just received this today and I'm very pleased with it. The sound is clear and well balanced, and the volume can be turned up quite loud - easily loud enough for the front room. I listen to radio 2 & 4 and the speech is very clear, more so than other radios I tried. It's easy to use and tuning is very fast. I had it up and running in seconds. I moved it round the house, upstairs and downstairs, and it works fine anywhere with the aerial up. I've found there's no need for presets - I only listen to two stations so just turn the dial to locate them. My only niggle is the same as everyone else's which is that you have to press a separate button away from the dial to make a selection, but it's not so bad that I'd drop a star from the rating. On top of all it's good points, it looks brilliant. I'd recommend this radio to anyone.
on 17 September 2013
I bought this radio after buying a smaller Sony clock radio which impressed me with it's quality of sound. I am equally pleased with this larger stereo version which I have on my desk for general background listening.It is straightforward to use and provides a good range of stations on DAB or FM. I would say it's not the most stylish of the DAB radios on the market,but at a good discount on the full normal price I'm very pleased.
on 10 December 2012
I bought one of these for my husband to have in his new shed and he was so impressed with the lovely clear reception that we have bought another one for his elderly mum. The controls are simple and the retro looks will not scare her off using it!
on 29 December 2013
Mine arrived on 28 December. Having ordered it on Boxing Day and paid over the odds to get it quickly, it arrived promptly.

I wanted an addition to my existing Panasonic DAB radio which, like that one, has a good long aerial. Signal strength isn't brilliant where I live. (I did buy a Pure Mini about 3 years ago but the short aerial on that meant reception kept cutting out - and the sound wasn't impressive either - so it was effectively unusable). No reception problems at all with this Sony radio.

It worked straight out of the box. The moment it was switched on, it scanned for digital stations. Lack of individual preset buttons is no problem. I always forget which button is which on my old one anyway, and recalling the presets on this is no problem.

The sound quality is pretty good, as you'd expect from Sony. It might not do for a true audiophile but sounds fine to me, and is more than acceptable for something costing less than £100. There's plenty of volume: turned halfway up it fills the room.

The appearance is comfortably retro and really rather elegant. While the "wood" is by all accounts really plastic veneer, it doesn't look cheap and nasty.

I originally gave it four stars, because there's no carrying handle and it doesn't take batteries, (though since it's going to stay in one room those weren't going to be problems in my case). But having had it four days now, I like it so much it must have five. Classic FM is on at the moment with a Beethoven piano sonata and it sounds great.

Some people have complained about the display, but it's clear and very readable. It would be nice to be able to dim it, but as it's not next to my bed to keep me awake, that's OK too. My Panasonic has various EQ settings plus optional surround-sound, but I don't miss them on this.

It's a simple uncluttered design which sounds good and I'd buy the same again.

See one answered question