on 11 January 2014
I'm a pro photographer and have 4 of these. They are just as good as the far more expensive ones, in fact it's amazing what you can do with a couple of these on light stands. Excellent value for money!
44 Comments| 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 March 2017
I think this light is brilliant! I use it for video work and for the money you can't beat it. I mis read the instructions to begin with about attaching the sony NP series batteries and stayed with aa batteries which seem to last for ages. You don't need a connector for the NP's they go straight into the bit where the aa's would go. You can't use the big NP F970 batteries but it's fine with the smaller ones (it list which are compatible on instructions). I use these lights on manfrotto nano stands, no wires, no electricity, and they don't get hot! For basic interviews they are a god send if you want to travel light and at £28 it's not a big deal if they break. I got the soft box to go with it which takes at least half the light away which isn't great but it does soften it. It's a fraction of the cost of other brands, I'm going to order more in case the run out!
review image
on 29 December 2016
As a keen photographer and amateur Egyptologist, I spend a lot of time in such places as Egyptian temples where lighting either doesn't exist at all, or is unreliable and poor quality (typically a fluorescent light tube on the floor that's so encrusted with grime that it sheds only a dim light). My Nikon D7200 DSLR can take reasonable pictures in such conditions, but the resulting very slow shutter speeds and high ISO settings make photograph challenging, and the results often grainy and/or slightly blurred (which is not always apparent on the camera's LCD screen). Flash photography is not allowed in many places, but battery operated lights are, hence my quest for decent portable lighting. For a while I've been using a powerful LED torch, which works OK, but doesn't really illuminate a sufficient area of a wall to allow me to take a picture of a whole wall scene (which might be perhaps 3x4m in size).

So, in my quest for decent portable lighting, I've bought the CN160 LED light array and it's absolutely perfect for my needs. With the diffuser filter in place it can evenly illuminate a sufficient area of wall from a distance of perhaps 4-5m to allow me to get decent shots with my 16mm wide-angle lens. Previously my exposures were typically around 1/10th sec at ISO2500 (challenging for hand-held photography, even with an image-stabilised lens); with the light I'm now typically shooting at 1/60th sec at ISO400, which is giving me enormously sharper and less grainy pictures. The light easily mounts on the hotshoe on top of my DSLR (it's a purely mechanical fit - there's no electrical connection between the camera and light), and the light is sufficiently lightweight not to make holding the camera awkward. Most of the time, though, I prefer to have someone hold the light for me rather than mounting it on the camera.

For power, I bought the matching Neewer® (2 Pack) 2600mAh NP-F550/570/530 Replacement Battery+Dual Charger for Sony HandyCams, Neewer Nanguang CN-160, CN-216, CN-126 and other LED On-Camera Video Lights Which Using NP-F550 which works very well. Each battery will power the light at full intensity for around 90 minutes before the brightness starts to fall off. Given that I turn the light off when I'm not actually shooting, the two batteries will easily last me through a whole day of photography. Using the alternative power source of 6 AA batteries should last considerably longer than the NP-F550 does, but I find the NP-F550 more convenient to use.

Highly recommended, and perfect for my requirements.
on 4 November 2016
Love it,

Read and watched tons of reviews hyping these lights so decided to have a low cost gamble...
it arrived and ive played with it for a while now and i tottaly love it,
kicks out light with no flicker doesnt get too hot.

cons-
got to be some when its this cheap but nothing major
1. the plastic isn't the greatest but solid enough to do the job.
2. the exposed battery cover......holds the batteries in place but has a cut out so you can see them... why?
3. eats AA's

apart from that i highly recommend these but id also buy the DSTE® 2x NP-F550 Rechargeable Li-ion Battery +... from on here to save money on AA's, another bargain at £18

i also purchased the filter/diffuser kit and some of the colour choices are strange but again decent value

some pics included of some toy pictures i took whilst playing around with the light and filters
review image review image review image review image
on 6 February 2017
I bought three of these for some product photo jobs. All I can say is you get what you pay for. The light themselves work as advertised, but they consume AA batteries (6 per light) very rapidly. By the time I finished my first shoot the batteries were gone. And no I didn't have them on all the time, only when shooting. If you buy, be sure and get the rechargeable batteries.
on 11 July 2017
Excellent value lamp and incredibly bright!

I've had 4 AA batteries in it for the past 3 weeks, and it's still going strong (no idea how much longer for)
But I still seem to be on 3/4 batter according to the read-out on the lamp itself.

The two included filters are a nice edition, and come in a handy carrying case.

Also comes with a re-chargeable battery adaptor, which I will probably investigate further once the AA's in there die.
But as of yet I cannot comment on.
on 21 February 2016
Love the amount of light this provides for small filming projects or interviews. The light is impressive and is just right for a camera. They are a little bit big because they are LED lights, but we use them on rigs with much bigger cameras so there is no balance issues.
review image
on 11 May 2017
Very pleased with this light and suggested battery purchase, dimmable and simple to use LED light.

The cold shoe mount is just plastic and doesn't feel like it would hold up to much over use.
on 26 April 2017
Have bought this but to date haven't had reason to use it, but appears to give good light which brightness can be controlled by means of a wheel switch - just need to find how severe it is on battery power and for that reason reluctant to award 5*
on 22 July 2017
Good LCD light but it’s a shame you can’t get a adapter to attach it to a wall power source and no warning when the power is going to go.... it just goes