Size: One|Change

on 7 September 2011
This is a good cover for occasional use in wet weather and as my video proves is does work fine underwater. As all waterproof cases the touch screen will not work underwater due to the water pressure. I will stick to using it walking to work in the rain and not swimming though. I have put a couple of videos on YouTube under my user name of TechRichie .
I also like the sealing design of the case, its not like others I have looked at which use a zip seal like those cheap freezer bags which might fail,this uses equal compression between four locking slides.
Also on a plus side if you do drop it in the sea or pool it floats.
on 30 June 2012
I ordered two of these waterproof iPad cases, one for me and one for my partner. We haven't used them yet. However, when they arrived the instructions mentioned to test the cases first, to check if all the seams are OK. And indeed there was a leak with one of the cases. I just requested a return and received my money back for the item without problems. But I'm now slightly concerned to how long the seams of the other case will last...
on 23 January 2012
Was more than a little nervous about this.

What I wanted was effectively a modern version of the Map holders I used to have my ordnance survey maps in whilst doing expeditions.

It simply needed to hold the iPAD2 whilst displaying OS maps - UKMaps and MotionX GPS and keep it dry in any rain I found myself in.

The ideal would be if I could interact with the device using the Geocache app to update cache finds etc.

Outcome ...

It's perfect.

I did think it may hold the iPAD in it's plastic side / rear cover (magnetic cover removed). It does ... but it is a little tight ... so I now take the case off before I put the iPAD in.

Basically ... if you want to use your iPAD whilst walking or boating where you may get rain (basically everyday in England) ... you won't go wrong with this.
on 8 September 2012
I needed a waterproof case for my iPad 2 because I wanted to use it in the bath. I initially bought a Tunewear Waterwear Water-Resistant Case for iPad 2/iPad/Samsung Galaxy Tab/Amazon Kindle/Tablet PC with Strap that proved way too large and cumbersome, so I returned it.

With more research I ordered this case and have been delighted with it over the 9 months that I've had it. In terms of size, the iPad fits inside the case perfectly - there's no need for spacers and you don't need to fold the case.

Getting the iPad into the case and sealing it is very quick and effective. The case uses a simple mechanism where you pull 4 plastic tabs to create the seal and it takes only a few seconds and you're ready to go.

You can of course use your fingers to interact with the iPad through the front clear plastic. You do get more friction than you would on the clear glass of the iPad but I haven't found this to be a problem myself. The buttons on the side and top of the iPad, such as the volume button, aren't easy to get to, but you can get to them with a bit of manipulation.

The soft plastic that the case is made of feels like it can take some punishment and you'd have to work very hard to penetrate it and cause a hole. Also the back of the case has a sleeve to help you hold it more securely.

Most importantly, the case does keep your iPad waterproof. I don't go out of my way to immerse the iPad into the water, but a couple of accidents have been averted through using the case.

I have no hesitation in recommending this case for anyone who wants to use their iPad in and around water. For me, the OverBoard case ticks all the important boxes, and while it isn't cheap it's certainly been worth every penny to me.
on 23 November 2011
I use this to protect an ipad on our boat. The waterproofing seems rock solid, even if it only has to cope with splashes. The rubber back is also great, meaning the ipad can be put on a flat surface and won't slide around.

I suppose the main disadvantage of having a case like this is that you can get some airbubbles between the ipad screen and the case, but this has never been a problem. The touch screen works well through the case.

This is the only waterproof ipad case I have used but I can't imagine getting something better in this price range. I would have happily paid double for this case!
on 10 December 2011
I love this product. I use my iPad with the excellent Viewranger app and this keeps my iPad dry in the worst of weather. It has a clear circle for taking pics should you wish to and the touch screen works a treat through it. Highly recommended.
on 16 April 2016
Bought this as an identical replacement for my previous one, as I had slightly split the clear screen cover during a fall (it caught on a sharp stone or stick). Otherwise the previous one had seen regular service for years with no signs of deterioration - superb quality item.
on 19 February 2016
Over Board? over priced. This is the second one of these i have had, the first one looked as though it had been used, finger prints and smears on the clear? plastic cover. So sent back for replacement, the second one was just the same, tried cleaning the face as shown in the instructions but to no avail. also the catches on the top keep snagging when opening so all in all not impressed.

I am going to try one of the cheaper models.
on 27 February 2013
I bought this case for the missus, who likes to watch her iPad3 while relaxing in the bath. Having a 5 year-old daughter, I had visions of disaster when the balanced arrangement of iPad leaning against toiletries while stood atop the washing basket all went tumbling towards the soapy depths below....

Thankfully, this case means that should that ever happen, we won't have ruined our iPad. The case feels well built and tidily designed, and the large sturdy clips at the seam make it easy to seal, as well as providing a visual indicator that the bag is sealed (perhaps in a future version they could make it even more obvious with colours or something).

Aside from the initial test, I don't envision that we'll deliberately submerge it per se, but what it does do for me is really enables the device when in bad weather or in a splash zone. Most importantly for us, when we next go on holiday, we'll be able to take the iPad along with us without worrying about splashes by the poolside - which was the singular reason we left it behind last year.

I'm now considering buying the iPhone/iPod version because I know it would get used.
on 17 January 2014
Like most scenarios, one has to think and be prepared to trust these kinds of cases when using them in wet environments. Luckily I have not been dissapointed so I am pleased with it and what it set out to do.

Having purchased the IPad Air, there is no issues with compatibility. I've only used the IPad Air without any shells or hard backs but I can imagine this will not be a problem.

My only issue was with the hole at the back for the camera. Its big enough but somehow the camera lens doesnt locate centerally and often feared taking pictures with half the lens covered. This hasn't happened after hundreds of photos so I wouldnt want to deter potential buyers.