on 2 January 2017
This is a book you can sink your teeth into. The world is fully realised and the novel is long, long enough to create a world with many eccentricities, including a dark, distant past with a hovering, unknown threat. If you like fantasy and you haven't given this series a go, it deserves you to give it a try. I'll be diving into the second book shortly.

The protagonist is spunky, cautious, and incredibly sympathetic. She becomes embroiled in the plans of a flamboyant team of scammers and thieves with an impossible vision - overthrowing the empire. With the empire ruled by a man thought to be a God, this proves no easy task, but the protagonist's spunk will uncover intriguing mysteries along the way, as the deficiencies in her upbringing and knowledge are peeled away. She is essentially a woman in a man's world, but one who doesn't let womanly wiles help her. She fights with the best of them.

My one issue with the book is that some of the fight scenes are long and difficult to get through. There is much technicality in the 'pushing' and 'pulling' of objects, using the mystical powers of Allomancy (a mind bender in itself), but much less emotion in the near misses and hurt in the pains which makes these scenes cumbersome rather than dramatic or tense.

However, what makes this book a great read beyond its fully realised world and realistic characters is how intricate the magic system is, and how well its implications have been reflected in the society that rules them. Every move of Allomancers and trade relating to their abilities has been carefully thought out and is consistent with their existence. And, when it comes to the plot, it's difficult to guess at how the major plot arcs will turn out. By the final fourth, I had guessed correctly, but this didn't make the discovery any less brilliant. I was on tenterhooks till the end.
9 people found this helpful
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 17 September 2017
This is beautifully written and very clever epic fantasy. It is set in a world where ash is falling all the time, people are divided into two classes with the skaa being treated as though they are no people but animals, and where ingesting metals can give certain people special powers. Vin is a skaa with hidden talents who has learned not to trust anyone and Kelsier is also a mistborn and can use all the metals - he is planning a revolution. There is a lot more to this book than that but it is all clear and not confusing and melds together into a great new world with potential for sequels.

I thought that the world building in this novel was superb. The author creates a history and a current situation for the culture which makes sense and does it without dumping information on the reader. The class division is not particularly new but it is done well. Where the book really comes into its own is with the ingesting of metals and the powers that people obtain that way. The author makes use of this in lots of ways in the book and while he is completely consistent what can be done continually surprises. There are still mysteries to uncover about the missing metal.

Although this book is clearly going to be one of a series the story resolves itself in an excellent, if harrowing, finale. The story is well paced and I never found myself being bored. Part of that too was because the characterisation was so good. The minor characters are real people with changeable and not predictable characters - you get the feeling that the author has pretty solid back stories for them all too because they appear very rounded. Vin and Kelsier are excellent - Vin learns this new world while bringing the mistrust of the previous one into it. Kelsier is quixotic and secretive and you have to learn in stages what he is going to do as it is revealed throughout the story.

I was captivated by this excellent fantasy novel and will definitely be reading the next in the series.
4 people found this helpful
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 17 February 2017
I originally heard of this series through a friend of mine who was reading rules for a Mistborn adventure/board game and loved the magic system and said almost in passing it was based on a book series. My curiosity had me buy the books and I loved them. There are now more books in the series available so I am re-reading the original trilogy first before I delve into them and I forgot just how good the first three are.

This book focuses on a young street thief called Vin who despite beatings and mistreatments has continued to survive in the harsh realities of The Final Empire. Vin is a Skaa, a sort of peasant/serf class who are used and killed by the nobility and the Lord Ruler, an immortal god who rules over the empire. During a job with her thieving crew Vin is introduced to a world she doesn't realises existed and is shown there is more that can be done than merely survive.

My synopsis is pretty vague there but I don't want to spoil too much of the story. Brandon Sanderson has a great writing style and sense of pace, while there is a lot of great action scenes it's littered with quieter more character driven moments. Speaking of which, the characters in my opinion are excellent, well written, humorous, and easily rememerable thanks to their stand out personalities and abilities. Seeing Vin grow as the book goes on as she starts to trust people more is really well written and the world she inhabbits is equally both interesting and depressing in equal measure.

The magic system that my friend enjoyed reading game rules is no less fantastic in the actual novels. I say magic but it's more of a power or ability some people have where swallowing small amounts of metals and then burning them in their stomachs like a fuel will allow them to perform certain actions ( being kind of vague again XD ). Depending on the metal swallowed, depends on the ability it can do, there are a limited amount of metals that do anything and not everyone can use every type. The thing I like about it the most I never really felt like there was much of a Deus ex Machina type moment, the power is limiting and at the same time versatile. The reader knows the extend of what the characters can do yet Sanderson often manages to find new ways to use those abilities within those boundaries. It's very clever and feels really unique compared with any other fantasy book i've ever read.

The book is also surprisingly substantial at nearly 700 pages yet never seems to outlive it's welcome. All in all The Final Empire: Mistborn book one is a fantastic fantasy novel and I can't wait to get to the latter books I haven't read yet as well as some of his other works.

Recommended.

+ Characters are great.
+ Well written.
+ Magic/Power system is superb.
+ Interesting setting.
on 20 February 2017
This is a book that is very close to my heart as for a number of years I had stopped reading and very rarely picked up a book. Then a good friend recommended this book to me, so I thought I would give it a shot and see how good it was as, what I experienced in reading this book was nothing like I had ever felt before when reading.

From the start this book will draw you into its world, Brandon Sanderson’s world building here is second to none and it shows as I found it very easy to imagine the world that was being portrayed as well as being very detailed without being cumbersome.

As well as the world building the characterisation is exceptional, from the start you are drawn into Vin and Kelsier’s world and their minds. When a character grows you to grow with them as Brandon Sanderson makes you care for the characters and what they are going through.

The magic system in the book revolves around the digesting of certain metals to give you particular abilities and it shows that a lot of though went into the development of it. I enjoy the traditional trope of magic systems that quite a few books have but the one developed in the book is outstanding as it is very well constructed and you are always wanting to learn more about it and the properties each different metal has as well as strategies developed for them.

This book is a true page turner and without giving away any spoilers it will make you laugh, cry and angry due to how much you care about the world and its characters. All I can say is that are some truly brilliants shocks and twists in this book that once you finish it you will want to immediately pick up the sequel.

This book helped me re-find my love for books and it is for this reason I always highly recommend this book to anyone I know and it is a great book that everyone should read. Some people might not agree but I would put this on the same level of greatness as The Lord Of The Rings.
on 22 December 2015
I am so glad I finally read this book. I've seen the author and this series kicking around in my periphery for a long time (I guess up to 9 years, looking at the original publication date!) but it just happened along on a good Kindle deal recently, so finally I did.

Such a cool magic system, really believable and understandable, but still absolutely magical. It reminded me of falling in love with Melanie Rawn's Sunrunners for the first time all those years ago :)

Some of the plot was a bit tropes-by-numbers - thieving crews, poor waif from the streets who has learned not to trust anyone and now has to learn how to trust new people, evil all-powerful dictator, etc. However, Sanderson wove such good characters and great plot twists in amongst it all that the foundations became part of a whole greater than its parts.

I felt the book was a little bit long and that made it drag overall, although I'm not sure I could identify any particular parts that dragged in and of themselves, so I'm not really sure whether that could have been remedied or where. There were a lot of showdowns that weren't actually the final showdown and that did start to grate on me a little, but then the final showdown was so cool that I forgave it in the end.

Pacing issues aside, this was a fantastic fantasy romp and really moving in parts. Definitely recommended.
One person found this helpful
on 31 January 2017
This was my first experience with a Sanderson novel, I came into it "by chance" rather than the usual route of his most famous series contribution. I was very pleased to have found it. The fantasy setting and "physics" behind magic in the world is dark, foreboding and very fresh. I spent much of the novel visualising the world: its dark mists, and its strange, metal consuming magic where "mistborn" can push towards or pull away from metal objects, either moving the object or themselves depending on which was heaviest. It would make a most unusual and thrilling computer game system.

But more importantly, the novel is filled with characters that have depth and meaning behind their actions, they drive the story rather than are driven by it. I don't mean to say that the characterization is always deep and perfect, because there are some of the peripheral characters that edge towards one-dimension, but the core is rich and satisfying. The main characters, a teenage girl street urchin called Vin and her violent yet principled mentor Kelsier, grow and change as events unfold and feel very convincing throughout. Their magic is limited by interesting, understandable "physics" that makes the difficulty of their task - ending a terrible caste system whereby most of the population are slaves, by defeating the god-like Lord Ruler and his powerful administration - feel plausibly hopeless and desperate. Finally, it is the story arc in this series that I like most. It does not feel like evil itself is the problem that is most difficult to overcome - but instead, making something good.

If you are considering reading this book, then you probably should.
on 6 April 2018
For a while, I think fantasy got hooked on Tolkien. That's not a bad thing; Lord of the Rings was great and so were books like the Dragonlance saga. Recently, I feel like writers have remembered that Conan's Cymeria and the city of Lankhmar once existed. What this book does so very well is to take a bit of Lankhmar's grit, some of Tolkien's powerful heroic fantasy, but then adds a dash of something new. What's best is that it takes these bits and makes them the start of something. I thought I was reading a one-off novel and then I remembered it was part one of a trilogy. The pacing is so good, the magic system at once logical and esoteric, the characters so human... It's just what I need while I continue to mourn the end of Leigh Bardugo's Six of Crows duology and wait to see where Scott Lynch takes the Gentleman Bastards series. Best of all; there are three more Mistborn books sitting by my bed for me to read.
on 5 April 2017
This is a good story with great attention to the clever and imaginative magical elements of allomancy and feruchemistry. The characters too are well imagined with a plot that twists and turns, staying true to itself. This author is prepared to shock and surprise the reader. I did find some of the fight sections long and laborious, but all in all enjoyed this book enough to seriously consider seeking out the sequel.
2 people found this helpful
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 9 October 2016
I picked this up some time ago and was, at first, quite reluctant to really get into it. It didn't feel like it would really be my sort of book. For the first 100ish pages, I think that first impression was almost spot on. I wasn't THAT impressed and was tempted to look for something else.

I stuck with it though and was rewarded well. It became intricate, with characters revealing themselves as more 3D than they originally had been portrayed. The story also transformed itself and became better and better as it built itself up.

I don't think Sanderson's work is for everybody. He has a different and unique style and uses well-explained magic systems to explain how the universe works. I've not had a 100% hit rate with recommendations for this because of his style though. Overall though, I still recommend to nearly anyone (even if they're interested outside of the sci-fi or fantasy genre) to give this book a try. Heck, there's not much excuse anymore, considering you can pick up a used copy of this book for 1p + delivery.
on 2 April 2017
Loved it, characters have depth and follow interesting story arcs. Coming of age tale hinges around novel form of internal magic called allomancy. Court life, battles, intense bullet time stand-offs and the inquisition, a true page turner!
3 people found this helpful