on 14 April 2011
I bought this book for my mum as a gift. She is an accomplished knitter but had never tried knitting socks before....now she's hooked. Knitting socks can be addictive. Initially she had to take some time to work out what types of wool were required because the terminology is American, but that was the only difficulty. Her prefered way of knitting socks is on 4 needles and she found the instructions clear and straight forward and would recommend this book for someone who can already knit, and is attempting to knit socks for the first time.
on 2 January 2011
while the authour is nuts about socks and her book boasts 17 creative patterns, the instructions are rather incoherant. I found myself having to repeatedly refer to you tube and the internet for a clearer description of how to shape the heel gussets etc.
on 13 February 2015
Very attractive book, with detailed instructions. Particularly good as it includes the use of at least two different weights of non specific yarn brands. Difficult to judge whether the patterns are suitable for beginners but definitely be welcomed by an enthusiastic knitter.
on 23 January 2016
A fab book. As a completely novice sock knitter I have found this book indispensable and have recommended it to a couple of my friends already. The patterns start with a basic stockinette sock which is brilliant to get started. The front of the book provides some really useful sections covering the basics and written in a easily accessible way. As I said, I'd never knitted a sock before, but now I'm comlpletely hooked and am onto my 3rd pair!
I would advise that before beginning to knit a sock you have the basics of knit and purl, but once you've got those mastered there's no reason why you shouldn't give this a try!
on 7 December 2013
I had to grab this as it was only a pound or two. This is a really comprehensive start to finish, beginner to expert book which really does have everything a sock knitter, or a knitter wishing to start knitting socks, could possibly need. The patterns are all lovely, with enough simple ones to get novices started as well as more detailed ones, and each is thouroughly explained step by step.
It enables you to start increasing your sock knitting skills and gives confidence to try new techniques.
However, the instructions to many of the patterns are in 'boxes' and rather than simply increasing the text size then being able to turn the pages keeping the same size text, you have to hard press on the boxes and zoom in, which makes flicking through patterns a hassle. Unless you have amazing eyesight ( which many knitters do not) you need to go through this every time you want to switch between the text and the instruction boxes. Why they couldn't format it to make it all flow better is beyond me, but maybe this is why the price was cheap.
I would - and will - definitely recommend this book, but in hard copy version!
on 3 May 2013
Like it a lot .one star missing because I think it's too exactly instructed, too many words makes it a little difficult to find back
on 18 November 2013
I shall enjoy the challenge Another book that I shall enjoy knitting from but I feel that some of the patterns are not to my liking.
on 7 September 2014
Lots of socks , good tips and great patterns to try.. would have been 5 if there had been patterns larger patterns for men
on 26 January 2015
Bit unexciting. I already know how to knit socks and was looking for some funky new designs. This didn't do it for me.
on 17 June 2015
really good something for all the family-loved it