on 9 December 2011
I bought this case after comparing everything i could find on the web and being really confused as to why Otter Box (my normal favourite for this type of thing) has not put a hard clear screen protector on the ipad2 Defender case along with everyone else. I checked out the Griffin Military Spec one which is super heavy, bulbous and looks massively over the top. I wanted protection for my ipad2 when in my rucksack, outside in the workshop, at work and most of all from the jammy fingers of my 3 year old son. I had no need of a stand so i thought i'd give this a go.

I was more than a little apprehensive but i shouldn't have worried, it looks brilliant and fitted tightly and securely around my ipad. True the instructions were either missing or they are limited to the images on the pack but it was fairly obviously and i believe there are some online. I did install a clear film screen protector to my pad first just in case anything got in between the hard screen and the pad but after fitting it i doubt that is possible its so tight. Still better safe than sorry.

The only difficulty i have found is the flap for the charging port is super tight to bend out of the way i wonder whether it might cause trouble with the charger eventually. But i guess being super tight its better than being floppy and not covering the port at all. So as i'm very impressed with the rest i'll ignore for the moment.

I also like the fact that i can buy a different colour screen protector when i get bored of the red.

Compared to my friends Griffin i think its a little slimmer and lighter and probably not quite as ready for a trip to to the front line but for everyday use and children its perfect.

on 18 April 2012
I've been using my this case to protect my iPad 2 for the past few days. Having previously owned a Griffin Survivor case for my iPhone 4s, I decided to opt for Gumdrop over Griffin based on the reviews on this site.

My Gumdrop didn't come with any instructions, just a box and the case. I suppose you don't need any instructions on fitting it, but it would of been a nice gesture.

My initial impression of the Gumdrop was that it changes a premium build device into something slightly tacky and cheap. The screen frame isn't exactly flush with the body frame, revealing a slight gap between the red frames.

I find the Griffin uses a Silicone material, which is more flexible (other may say this has more chance of the flaps breaking off). The Gumdrop has more of a rubberised feel to it. So much, the back of the case is remarkably similar to a car tyre. The more I use the case, the more I love the feeling of the rubber texture - maybe I'm a closet gimp.

The rubber does have it's drawbacks. The flap used to cover the charging port isn't that flexible. This makes it difficult plugging in the charging cable, and when plugged in, the flap bends the charging plug against the iPad. This is my biggest gripe with the product. I've ended up wedging a wooden lolly pop stick between the case and iPad to keep the flap open.

The built in screen protector has a slight gap between itself and the screen, especially at the bottom of the screen. This gives a false impression of touching the keyboard, when you actually haven't pressed the button. I expect the gap will disappear with use.

I've previously used a TeckNet iPad 2 Premium Folio Case costing £10. I had no issues with this case whatsoever (other than the magnetic screen lock doesn't work with an iPad 3).

The case is growing on me, and I'll probably keep it. Adding a layer of protection on an iPad will have it's drawbacks and I'm willing to accept them. However, £40 is expensive for this product.

Update: After using the case for a few months I'm happier with the case. The rubber around the charging port is a bit more flexible making it easier to open. After seeing my 2 + 4 year old kids through my iPad 2 around the room, this case is worth every penny.
on 17 March 2012
Every now and then, you buy something that makes you question where it's been all your life. I predict that you will feel the same for this case, as I did.

Aesthetically, it looks better in your hands than it looks on a website. Sure, its lines aren't as svelte and pristine as those of a 'naked' iPad; but when you see the undiminished prettiness of the iPad's screen framed by a mutated bicycle tyre, the contrast brings a sense of rugged fun that - in my opinion - makes an iPad even more enjoyable to use. Its reassuringly sturdy on the fingers, which means you won't feel as insecure about handling it; underneath you'll know it's still a precious work of art, but you can chuck it about a bit (metaphorically speaking!), knowing that the case can handle it.

Brilliant. Best £36 I've spent in years. Get one.
on 22 February 2012
Since I bought my fist iPad when it was released, I have owned numerous cases. Initially, I thought, I'd like something as slim and invisible as possible, so as not to spoil the sleek lines of the device, nor add weight.

As time has gone on, I have evolved the realisation that what I care most about is protecting the iPad. I want to carry it with me always, and not worry about it. As well as rain, moisture and dust, I don't want to have to treat it with kid gloves - I use the thing every day. So I started looking at the roughy-toughy cases. I bought my son an Ottorbox case for his birthday - which is good, but has it's faults - some of them major. I bought the Griffin Army case, which is great, but very heavy and bulky, and the doors over the ports and especially the camera are appalling in use.

Then I finally got this case from Gumdrop. It is simply superb. The hard polycarbonate frame covers the front and edges only, and includes a screen cover sealed to the frame, and which is effectively invisible in use. The silicone rubber case then wraps over the frame; it fits perfectly, is no thicker than it needs to be, and has a gorgeous non-slip feel to it. All the ports, switches etc are perfectly accessible, and easy to find by feel - they work brilliantly.

I had been put off by the 'tyre-tread' pattern on the case, but now enjoy the tactility it adds to the iPad.

In summary - it ticks all the boxes, as far as I can see; I happily carry my iPad everywhere, and don't worry too much about it. I read books in the bath, use it outdoors, stick it in the glovebox of the car without worrying - perfect.

My wife has the red and black version, and I the army green one - which is a nice subtle muted green. What more can I say?
on 26 March 2016
Beautifully grippy, I've been using this for a few years now and it continues to protect my now rather elderly iPad 2 with no fuss. I guess at some point I'll be upgrading my iPad, at that point I'll also upgrade to a Gumdrop case for the new one.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 6 January 2013
Protects your iPad against hard knocks, definitely... but be prepared for it to also feel like your device has doubled in overall weight and has suddenly become really bloody awkward to plug in peripheries like headphones and charging/sync cables. There's also (to my knowledge) not a dock on the planet it'll fit into while it's wearing this suit... and from experience, you won't want to be peeling it out of this case every time, just to get it to do so. It also has a raised protective surrounding edge to the built-in screen protection which can restrict the 'chunkier fingered' user when it comes to 'page dragging' or selecting items displayed near the screen edges. And it has an integrated grille/mesh style opening for the speaker so it's NOT entirely as splash or as dust resistant as it looks either (not that it claims to be such...)

However, it's hard to not recommend it... particularly if you want to be that 'favourite baby-sitting uncle' who hands over their iPad in an attempt to keep the squabbling seven year-old nephews quiet... safe in the knowledge that it should survive even their best attempts to kill each other for it...
on 15 April 2012
I ordered this product in an attempt to protect my ipad2 for use by my 3 year old daughter and it is brilliant ! Easy to put on, fits perfectly with all buttons and ports functional and accessible and the screen protector does not interfere with viewing or use. Whilst I have not tested it by dropping my iPad I am much less worried when little hands are carrying it around ! The downside perhaps is that it is not a subtle look / style but to be honest that was a completely secondary requirement for me. Really great product wish it hadn't taken me so long to find it !!
on 12 March 2012
I just wanted to add, I bought this a while back of a website, can't remember the name, but I brought this baby with me to Africa, and it was a treat having it, my son who's 3 years old, he plays on it, and I feel very safe knowing the gumdrop case is on there, I got the military green edition, it was an exclusive, offers excellent protection, best case for the iPad
on 2 January 2012
This product is brilliant, it is so robust that even my accident prone husband can't damage his I-Pad when its in this cover.
on 18 December 2011
Got this to cover up an ipad2 for use by the kids 2+3 year olds.
Great fit and feels great, could do with a stand but otherwise its still very good.
Going to buy another one for a second ipad for sure, tough and sturdy does add a bit more weight but at least a great fit and colour.