Colour Name: Black|Change

on 13 February 2013
Bought specifically because it will carry a DSLR and small laptop, I loaded my kit into the bag. As others have said, it is a bit short of Velcro dividers - and I was particularly sad that the long tripod slot is smooth-sided and so cannot be subdivided by those, like me, who have a "proper" tripod and no particular wish to buy a compact one just to put into the little slot.

The reason for disappointment, though, is that (loaded with a Nikon 300S, 18-200 lens, Speedlight, spare battery and charger, small bean bag and 14" "thin and light" laptop) the bag becomes a roly-poly dumpling of a bag that is seriously uncomfortable to carry. It is like stapping a medicine ball on your back.

So, despite the bag looking good and well made, it is going back and my search for a good dual-purpose bag continues. I think this bag has a "big brother" that might be worth a try.

Other comments...

They make much of the Easy Access compartment at the top. Fastened by two zips, a strip of Velcro and an enormous plastic clip, this is hardly "easy access"! I quite like the straps for attaching an external tripod (in my case, more often that will be a monopod), disguised as a decorative stripe down the back. The side pockets are just big enough to carry some CDs, out of any packaging but are too small to be of a great deal of use. There is nowhere obvious to carry some of the standard stuff that I want. On a journey, I want a book, a bottle of water and some travel documents to be easily available. I like to keep the instruction manual for the camera in case of need. I need a notebook when out on a photo shoot. All these things can be squeezed in (apart from the water- I'll not put that in beside my camera!) but they don't seem to be at home there.

Sad, because it looks a nice bag!
on 12 February 2013
I'm very pleased with this backpack. It's just the right size for me. Not too small, not too big. I was thinking to get the Veloce VII but that looked huge. I'm 169cm and I wouldn't want anything bigger than Veloce V. It fits my D90 with the battery grip and 18-200mm lens, 105mm VR lens, 50mm lens, filters, flash gun and some other smaller accessories and there's still plenty of space. I don't carry any small tripod inside the bag so that gives me the extra space.

Quality of the bag seems to be great and it's very comfortable to wear. The shoulder straps are so thick and soft that I don't even feel like I'm carrying any bag on my back all day. Side pockets are bit too small but good for things like keys, chewing gum, lip balm, etc.

I can't keep my camera in the upper compartment with the battery grip attached but I use it for things like wallet and other personal items so it's really handy. I've been looking at loads of bags before purchasing this and I don't regret I've decided for this one.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 28 June 2012
Colour Name: Bungee Cord|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is certainly a sturdy and well made back pack, of decent size and not too heavy. You can fit in a camera with lens attached plus another couple of lenses. The lens compartments are on the big side so I would have preferred a one or two more Velcro dividers to hold everything more snugly and allow you to put in extra lenses, although I can probably find a couple of spare pieces from older bags to do the job. There is also room for a small tripod to be stored in a separate compartment inside the bag. Whilst this might be useful it does rather limit the space for kit. I've read on one review on amazon.com that some of the dividers are fixed. This certainly isn't the case with my bag - all the dividers are Velcro-type, it is just that I would have liked more of them.

The cover/lid has a few pockets for memory cards etc and there is a well padded section into which you can slide a laptop/tablet. A small section at the top of the pack can be accessed without opening the main body of the bag. I don't think it is designed to hold a camera and access for a camera with lens attached would be awkward, for me at least. It might be OK for accessories although the compartment is a little on the big side and has no divider so things would rattle around a bit (I would be more inclined to use the two external side pockets for smaller bits of kit). It might be useful for holding a foldaway mac or lunch/drink on a hike, although you would have to careful to ensure a drinks bottle was screwed tight as the camera section lies immediately below.

The padded back is excellent, with ventilation channels and the pack is held slightly away from the body which I think will make it more comfortable on a hot day or in exotic climes. It also means the pack doesn't rest on the small of your back. The zip is on the side of the bag closest to the body. I am 'either/or' about this although it is probably better from a security point of view and even if the zip is open whilst you are wearing the pack, the shoulder straps will hold it to your body and prevent it from falling open.

Unfortunately I couldn't get the bag to fit comfortably, particularly on the shoulder straps - I am only 5 feet tall and have had this problem with backpacks before. I don't think I am tall enough or have wide enough shoulders for it to fit properly. That said my other half (5'10" and normal build) found the pack fitted perfectly - comfortable & well-balanced.
on 10 September 2014
Great backpack. Fits my MacBook Air, D7000 and a selection of lenses and accessories in without any trouble. Everything is well padded and comfortable when on the back.
on 8 November 2015
Very comfortable and usable photo bag.
A bit on the big side.
Enough place for normal laptop.
on 26 May 2015
Great bag, very good quality.
on 15 February 2013
it was just what i was looking for and i like the zip opening to see all my camera and lens

See one answered question