Customer reviews

Mass Effect 3 (PS3)
Platform: PlayStation3|Edition: Standard|Format: Box|Change

on 18 March 2012
As a huge fan of the mass effect trilogy I was excited about playing the new edition, and to be entirely fair to Bioware, there is much in this game that delivers, however there is also much that lets it down, and shattered my enjoyment for the title.

The good: The gameplay is more fluid than the previous titles, and whilst keeping some of the more important aspects has added new dimensions such as jumping that make the game a more enjoyable experience. Much of the storyline is fantastic,seeing old and new faces, as well as old and new locations made the game enjoyable from the get go, never before have I wanted to shed a tear over a video game, nor felt proud of a character within one, but this game made me feel both of these emotions no matter how hard I tried not to! of course as a fan who has played since the start you're always going to have niggles, but even these were few and far between.

The DLC 'from ashes' was also very enjoyable and well worth the extra money I paid for it, it added a whole new dimension in the game and perspective of the galaxy.

Also, as someone who generally isn't very good at shooter games, and has never previously touched online gameplay, I found this element very enjoyable, with how it ties into the main game without being a direct part being an added bonus.

The bad: There were a large amount of glitches in the game, the worst of which rendered much of the first section of my game unplayable as I could not access an entire area, as everytime I tried to do so my ps3 crashed, which meant starting it back up and waiting for it to check there were no issues.

The ugly: The worst part of this game, and most of the reason for the 3 stars is because Bioware took a formula that I love and abandoned it at the last moment, the ending of this game is appauling, and it seems the more time goes by since my colour coded ending, the more questions I get. Never before have I come across such an appauling end to any series, I have more questions than answers and certainly more than when I went into the game, as well as an overwhelming feeling of dissapointment.

I won't say don't buy it, as for the most part Bioware should be proud, once again they've outdone themselves in my eyes and delivered another fantastic game, but I will say be prepared to feel dissapointed by your lack of involvement in the end, and maybe wait until there is confirmation that the glitches have been fixed.
on 8 April 2012
Upon completion of ME3 I was left with a feeling of awe. Awe at what had been done to a brilliant series. As everyone knows, the last 10 minutes of the game itself are truly horrendous, but allover the game is thoroughly disappointing.
The majority of the game is entertaining and had me enthralled, completing it over the course of only 3 days (roughly 45hours play time), but the factor that made ME1 and ME2 such great games, the characters, has been completely ruined in ME3. The dreamteam, the squad you spent hours building up and growing to love in ME2 has been completely disbanded and the stories that you hear of their ventures since the previous game left me up in arms.
Mass Effect 3 could have been the best game I ever played, but due to a poor ending, poor character completion (not making me care for my squad [Just who the hell is James Vega anyway?]) and spending far too much time on the Citadel has left me disappointed and with a sour taste in my mouth.
on 6 October 2012
I don't usually write reviews at Amazon, but the large volume of terrible reviews for this game are giving such a misleading impression that I thought I should add one this time. It is an excellent galaxy spanning adventure with a great script, compelling characters, imaginative visuals, is generally great fun to play and has tremendous production values. Some of the more boring elements of earlier versions of the game have been honed or removed. The real pleasure is reconnecting with old characters and seeing them further develop. The ending seems to have put a lot of people's backs up, but there are very few games that have truly great ending and I thought this one was solid - at least it gives you a choice, unlike most games, and there was a fair degree of imagination and ambition in what they tried to achieve. I say "tried" as they probably did not quite pull it off (why this is only four stars), but still an excellent game. Sad it's over.
on 21 June 2013
This game's average play time is roughly 20 hours but is much more than that if you consider the amount of times you can play through, with different results every time. I am a HUGE FAN of the Mass Effect series, the only downside for me is that i own a ps3 therefore i cannot play the very first one without buying the trilogy or buying it off the PSN store since i own a Playstation 3. This is a fantastic game and i am going to break it down into pros and cons:

Pros:
Good Graphics
Good Storyline (Whatever you make it)
Great Multiplayer (Endless Fun after story is complete)
Wide Range of Characters Such as Krogan, (Brute Alien Race) Salarian, (Super Intelligent Alien Race) Quarian, (Super Advanced Technology Experts) Geth. (Robotic Alien Race) And thats just a few there are many more.

Cons:
Bad Ending.
on 16 July 2012
The game was okay, felt mass effect 2 story line was better, but overall a solid game. The multiplayer is medicore, as all you do is fight off waves of enemies with 3 other online players. I got the game for £20 pounds, which is an excellent price for a decent game.
on 1 February 2013
Well, what can I say about Mas Effect that hasn't been said a hundred times before? immersive? Yes! Leaves you wanting more? You bet!

I said no quibbles BUT the elephant in the room is the ropey ending. It has to be said that Shepard's demise was handled pretty badly - for those of us who have followed him through all three games, it was a bit of a let down and the subsequent storm of protest should not have come as a shock to the games creators. That said, I would still recommend the game as it totally looks the part and plays brilliantly. When games developers think of characters and plots for future games they are thinking of producing, they could do a lot worse than reflect on the success of the Mass Effect universe. Just put a bit more effort in the stories conclusion.
on 29 December 2012
This is an Amazing game and gives you a lot to do but it needs more to it because once you start playing you just want MORE and MORE and to get more you have to start the game again
But still I love this game and I recommend buying it
on 9 August 2012
I loved Mass Effect 2, with its deep engaging plot, great characters, and many side missions and worlds to explore, you really get your money's worth...with this, however...

GOOD:

The combat overall is significantly better and bigger than ME2 despite not usually having access to heavy weapons...rolling gets on my names as you rarely need to roll and it just gets on your nerves when you're trying to vault or run...the enemies are great, especially the reapers...feels like a fitting end to the series where the battles are concerned for the most part, and it's cool that you end up visiting everyone's home world in the process...

(Most of) the plot - the sole focus on the reapers here is really engaging and well written, the game as a whole clearly makes a few nods to terminator in my view - in the war against the machines...some of the reaper troops even sound like the Terminator, there are some cool Judgement Day-inspired dream sequences, and the end setting in London feels a lot like the intense future battleground seen in the films

Part of the whole battle setting I guess but weapons and weapon mods are better in this game...because the game is much more limited though there seem to be a lot less upgrades overall than ME2

BAD:

As for the exploration/adventure: There is none...the game often seems like a lay, stripped down version of the 2nd which worked so well...whereas in ME2 you had so many side missions to do by scanning planets, talking to squad members and exploring the four main worlds of Omega, Citadel, Ilium and Tuchanka, in ME3, the Citadel is all there is - with most of the "missions" on it you basically end up either inspecting things on the citadel or scanning planets for crap to give to people...exciting stuff...

Another issue I had is with the limited characters and clearly favoritism of the first game over the 2nd. Sure, the whole War Assets thing is original and clever, but your main squad is basically the same as in the first game minus whoever dies in the original plus a couple of new additions....the great characters from the 2nd game pop up here and there in what are little more than cameo roles...very disappointing...

The galaxy map is also frustrating...as said it is a really stripped down version of the ME2 map with no exploration of scanned planets whatsoever (or indeed any planets apart from the main missions and the Citadel)...Also alerting the reapers every time you scan for things to find just becomes really tedious, making the process of completing side missions really long winded...I thought the slow scanning of every planet of the 2nd game could get dull at times but it was much better than this

Then there is the ending, I don't see why this seems to be the sole focus of criticism to be honest as there are much bigger problems as I have just mentioned...but it is rather an anti-climax, the end setting is cool and Terminator-esque, but it just seems over too quickly, there is no boss battle, apparently the 'choices' at the end have pretty much the same outcome and the end movie is pretty short and dull as well...

Overall: judged on its own merits still a great game and worth getting, but it just pales in comparison to the 2nd for me...such a shame, cold have been even bigger and better, but it wasn't...
on 17 October 2013
if you liked the other Mass Effect games, you'll like this. There are a few subtle differences and on the whole ME2 is probably slightly better, but this is still a great game and a great (if controversial!) way of tying up the Shepard saga. If you are new to Mass Effect, I would recommend at least playing " first, and the first game if possible, as this will give you background and the more of the games you play the more it enriches the game world as the choices you make impact subsequent games. Went straight into my top 10 games ever, if you like video games you will like this. Highly recommended.
on 13 September 2013
I'm still playing this game at the time of this review, but with 40h of playtime, I might as well share my opinion on this game. I've played the previous two games, and while this one continues with a great story line - perhaps a bit better than the previous games - the gameplay has suffered a bit. I don't know what has changed, but during battles, you can get a bit frustrated because Shepard does not do what it is your intention to do. And bear in mind, I do not think that I am clumsy with the PS3 controller :)

Bottom line, if you liked the other two titles, I highly recommend this one!