on 3 March 2014
Very informative without pushing you into a corner, it gives you the facts and lets you decide the rest. Alicia comes across very humble in the book and they're are some great vegan recipes in the book too.
on 22 November 2015
The book spreads a fantastic message, however Alecia relies too heavily on obscure ingredients. I was looking for a Cook book which would show plant-based versions of "normal" foods. Like chili, burritos, fajitas, burgers, lasagne, pasta, mac & "cheese", cookies, cakes and so on. I did not want to see "sea vegetables", "umeboshi plums" and other impossible to find and ridiculously expensive ingredients in most recipes there. The first part of the book about the kind diet is nice, but the recipes are a big disappointment.
on 25 December 2010
I saw the author promoting her book on Oprah Winfrey and was interested in her discussion about protecting animals. However this book really opened my eyes to how cruelly animals are treated in being bred for the meat industry especially at birds having their beaks removed and that 30 per cent of cows are not stunned properly before they killed so are literally skinned alive. It made me feel so passionate about not eating meat that I didnt want to eat the turkey I had cooked for christmas dinner for today. I found the facts in this book very interesting especially how breeding animals causes methane gas and uses considerable amount of water that takes away the availlabibilty for human consumption

The book is divided into three sections, flirt, vegan or superhero. I am going to start with the flirt which eases the reader into this way of eating slowly such as using soya milk in drinks or ordering a vegan meal in a restaurant.

I found this book inspiring
on 1 July 2010
Alicia gives the facts, no judgement, pure facts, an eye opener I recommend this book to anyone who feels the need for a radical change that can actually start with the way we eat, how we treat our planet, our fellow animals and ultimately our souls, brilliant read!
on 11 July 2012
You get ALOT for your money with this book. I bought it expecting a recipe book only, but this is a recipe book plus loooads more information on diet and health which is extremely interesting. The food is great too - not rabbit food!!
on 13 February 2016
I had thought about being a Vegan for a while.
I downloaded this book on Kindle one Saturday morning. Half and hour later I was in tears and decided to be a Vegan that day.
I have never looked back and a year later I am not even tempted in the slightest. Its incredibly easy, I am very happy with my Vegan self.
After only three days I felt like a new person:
Bags of energy
VERY happy
And I sleep like a log (all the way through without stopping every night!)

I read the whole book in a few hours. Thank you Alicia xx
on 6 October 2012
Alicia writes with a lovely easy style- the whole book is very 'friendly' and easy to follow. Lovely quality paper and the pictures are first class. She speaks with compassion and sense, showing why we should think more about what we eat and how it is sourced and produced. This book would be useful to anyone thinking of the environment and how to do their bit, but it gives all the reasons why being a vegan is THE way to live. She herself has taken vegan living to the next step and follows a macrobiotic lifestyle and this is also looked at in this book - and shows that its not as difficult as it seems! There are loads of excellent and yummy recipes to follow and what is nice is that these are in three sections - section one for those who want to dip in and try at times, section 2 the vegan way for those who want to commit fully and section three - the macrobiotic way of eating for those who want to take it a step further. All of these plans can be mixed and matched. Even though this is an American book, I had no trouble sourcing any of the ingredients - not that there are many in the book which cannot be found in Britain.

There is a lovely website which compliments the book - [...]

If you are thinking of exploring the vegan way of life - or macrobiotic, then this book is a definite must for you! Or if you are just deciding to eat and live more responsibly with greater respect for yourself and the world then this book will be a big help to you.

Don't dismiss this book as a 'do-goody' read and not for you. It's a beautiful book getting across a big message in a friendly, relaxed way and has great recipes! A cookbook with added oomph!!

Would make a great Christmas present!
VINE VOICEon 28 March 2010
This was really great! It came up in my recommendations because of the other books I'd bought and my first thought was "huh, Alicia Silverstone's a vegan?" So then I had a quick read about it and decided I wanted to read it. It arrived on Friday and I finished it yesterday. The wonderful thing about this book which I didn't notice from the blurb is that not only is it vegan it is also MACROBIOTIC!!! I was so happy, I even risked taking it to the bath on Friday night, even though it's hardcover. There were some reviews like "who needs a book by yet another celeb" but actually it's really very good. I had only read 40 pages on Friday and already I was thinking of people I would like to send it to (if I could afford it).

The book has a preface by Paul McCartney and a foreword by Dr Neal Barnard MD (Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM)) and is in three parts - the first part is all about food - what's good, what's not, and why, the second part is about changing your diet, stocking your kitchen, getting fit etc, and the third part is recipes. Alicia also tells her own story of how she went from meat eater to vegetarian to vegan to macrobiotic vegan along with her husband. There are also plenty of inspiring stories about other people who have changed their food and saved their lives, plenty of examples of vegan athletes like Carl Lewis, Martina Navratilova, Edwin Moses, Chris Evert, Bill Pearl (Mr Universe bodybuilder) and many more. Also Christina Pirello who I haven't heard of before but she has a cooking show in the US so perhaps someone else has heard of her?

"Christina Pirello, MFN, CCN is one of America's preeminent authorities on natural and whole foods with a radiant personality that only serves to make her message more powerful. At age 26, she was diagnosed with terminal leukemia. By the time her illness was identified, the cancer had already advanced to an acute stage. Her doctors gave her little reason to have hope for the effectiveness of conventional medical therapies and told her she had only months to live. Then a co-worker introduced her to Robert Pirello, a whole foods advocate who helped her adapt her lifestyle and diet based on whole, unprocessed food. With love, dedication and death-defying discipline, Christina overcame the odds, and in the process developed an expertise in cooking with whole foods. After just two months of eating beans, grains and vegetables, her doctors noticed a significant improvement in her condition. In fourteen months, her cancer was gone. "

Anyway, this is not a new subject for me, I have been reading about food and nutrition for years and have been vegetarian for many years, and attempted to go vegan several times, and I thought this book was excellent and very accessible and down to earth, especially for people who have no previous knowledge, and very inspirational for everyone, even those who do.
on 2 July 2010
This is one of the best books for people wanting to change their lifestyle & live a far healthier, cruelty-free life. Extremely well written, easy to follow & loads of delicious recipes. I've been vegan for two months now and have seen the difference for myself. Natural weight loss, feel stronger, no more illness & best of all I have learnt about new food that offer tremendous benefits for my body & mind. I have purchased several copies for friends & family...a definite must read for all. Highly recommended.
on 4 May 2013
Really enjoyed reading this, its split into sections so you aren't overwhelmed with information at once. Great recipes, the peanut butter cups are delicious- i've been making them nearly every 4 days because they get eaten so quickly. Iv'e tried vegetarianism and veganism before but have found some great tips when it comes to substituting veg in and ideas for different meals so i haven't become bored with it and have been veggie now for over a month. Highly recommended.