on 23 September 2012
This product does what it says on the packet. It cuts out most of the light from the sun and allows you to view its surface safely-provided of course that you make a filter to cover the entire light capturing opening of the telescope.
I use it on my 4.5" reflector. The opening is about 6" in diameter and I made a filter to cover this. I found it almost impossible to avoid a few waves in the filter but, in the event, the slight irregularities made no discernable difference.
I am now able to see sun spots on the sun's surface but I was sorry to see that I could make out no other details. I had hoped to be able to see granulation on the surface but I could see no details of any sort apart from the sunspots. I have been told that a Solar Continuum filter used in conjunction with the Baader filter should enable me to see granulation but the filters cost about £50-£60 so I have not yet taken the plunge and bought one.
7 people found this helpful
on 25 June 2012
This is much better value than a conventional filter, promptly delivered, although the instructions were not great. There are two films on either side, one tissue and one clear. It is easily ripped and wrinkled so great care is needed when creating your filter. This started as a filter for my telescope and ended up as a filter for my binoculars! (it would have been a struggle anyway: an A4 sheet would fit less than 6 inch dia telescope, I estimate). It is a basic filter so good for sunspots, eclipses, transit of venus (if you can wait over 100 years for the next one, assuming there are no clouds) but will not show the sort of detail you might see in astronomy mag photos.
5 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 7 March 2014
Arrived safe and sound. We had pre-built the frame to which this was to be stuck to.
In no time at all it was stuck down and we was out side with it fitted to the telescope, at the time we were viewing the sun there was quite a lot of solar activity so plenty of spots to view.
This really has made our astronomy more enjoyable, it is easy to use and if you follow the instructions it is safe. To keep the filter safe and sound we have found it fits nicely in celebrations plastic box.
One person found this helpful
on 8 June 2012
I had thought to buy the more expensive solar filters for viewing the sun but came upon the Baader filters by accident after reading about the forthcoming transition of Venus in an astronomy magazine. When the filter arrived I had to enlist my husband's help (unfortunately!) but bless him he did a sterling job with a cereal packet and some duck tape. A true Blue Peter moment. Now it is really easy to use and gives you amazing views of our Sun. As long as you check the filter each time before use and make sure it's secure...happy viewing. Just a shame it was cloudy here in South Wales the morning of the transition. Typical! I wholeheartedly recommend these filters.
on 24 November 2016
I bought a filter with this product as part of the unit. It was expensive, so decided to buy the film and make my own holder. The film works really well and allows me to view the sun with complete safety. Recommended.
on 28 April 2013
I am in love with this stuff ! Shows the sun in its 'natural' colour. Very thin, like working with plastic bako-foil - be patient when handling it and take time to get it settled right. Don't stretch it nor leave wrinkles - instructions are supplied how to make it into a working filter. Got some nice images of sun-spots using this. Never use cheap glass filters to look at the sun - especially ones that fit at the eyepeice end of scoope = not good !
on 17 May 2012
I'm still a newcomer to astronomy and I don't have heaps of cash to throw around, but I really wanted to look at the sun. So after buying this I took out my telescope, attached the film and aimed...All I can say is WOW. With this film you can see that the sun is alive.
review imagereview image
10 people found this helpful
on 30 June 2012
if you want to use a telescope to view the sun you must have a proper solar filter. used as described by the supplier, you will get the cheapest best solution. if you are no good with handicrafts then this may not be for you! requires some 'blue peter' style cutting and sticking. make sure you remove both the protective films.
4 people found this helpful
on 23 March 2014
used with my 6 inch telescope and a camera that fits into the eyepiece to take some great photos of sunspots. Be aware this shows the sun in black and white and you can't see any coronal ejections. You need a different kind of filter for the type of shots you see on the t.v.
on 20 August 2017
Does exactly what it says on the packet. Already seen sunspot 2670 and 2671. Brilliant.