on 20 January 2012
I purchased this solely to replace a photocopier which had died. It operates easily as a photocopier, without being installed on any computer. The images are good and scan time is quite quick, although it takes 20 seconds from power-up before it's ready to do the first copy. The menus for zooming are tedious, as are those for adjusting the brightness of the image, as compared to a photocopier which has these controls on the operating panel, which is why I've given it only 4 stars
on 30 December 2013
After unboxing and plugging in to the computer (Windows 8.1) the printer worked straight away as a plug-and-play; scanning, copying and printing. No need to install any of the software that comes with the printer.

I work with HP 2025's, 5550's and 4250's and personally prefer this Brother printer: it is a great size, fast, VERY cheap toners and feels sturdy/robust.

If you are looking for a business standard mono printer, with scanning capabilities I would strongly recommend this printer.
on 6 March 2013
I bought this when my previous Brother printer, a 7030, died after years of faithful service. The 7055 seems an adequate replacement and good value. I've none of the noise problems other reviewers have mentioned.

My main reservation so far is that I'm getting far fewer copies per 'compatible' ink cartridge (the 'official' ones are hideously expensive, half the cost of the machine) -- than I did with the 7030. I've tried cartridges from several sources at prices ranging from £14 to £24 apiece and none give me more than about 250 A4 copies (of admittedly a fairly busy page) - about 6p a page at best. I was getting 500-600 on the 7030, and paying no more than £15 a cart. This may be because the 7055 cartridges are slightly smaller, which brings me to my main gripe - why can't Brother design machines that accept carts and drums from other models? When the 7030 failed I was left with its drum and several spare carts, and they're a few millimetres too big to fit the new machine. Profit for Brother, I suppose, but very irritating.

All that said, it's a neat, fast and efficient machine and as far as I can see as good as anything else on the market - recommended for everyday use, but you mght think twice if you want to do long runs.
on 3 April 2013
The laser printer is far better than the previous normal clour printer I had that I purchased because I was told the ink is the cheapest in the market but the sales people forgot to tell me the ink only lasted for about 340 copies less than half the competition and it turned out to be the most expensive but the laser printer doesn't use ink and will last about 1000 copies. The print spped is so fast and quiet.

I'm so pleased I purchased and only spent about £80
on 28 February 2014
It hurt that after I ordered it they chopped a fiver off the price. But that's ebay.
The only thing i dont' like is that the paper draw sticks out the back, stopping the machine from being pushed flush against the back. Frequently the thing won't work because i've pushed the machine back. Annoying.

Haven't managed to get the OCR working for scanning. Possibly I don't understand the machine properly yet.
on 20 February 2014
This Brother printer is great for my home office. Printing time is fast and also comes with a toner for the price
on 9 February 2012
good all round printer !! estatic about it, value for money and doesnt take up any space, bargain, reccomend you also get two
on 20 September 2013
Well, I purchased this printer because of its fantastic reviews and good price. What a bad decision. The printer prints with no problem, and copies with no problem. But scanning is another story. It just would not communicate with the computer. I installed all of the appropriate brother software on a pc running windows 7. And when that did not work I installed the complete brother control center., nothing. So, I then installed all software on a mac running OSX 10.5.8. Exactly the same fault persists. In total I have spent 10 hours trying to get this to work, and going by my research this is a problem for others who have purchased this printer. The 3rd party company purchased from refuse to take it as a return. And the Brother help line is only open from 09.00 to 17.30 Monday to Friday. Useless when you have to work. So, I will be cutting my losses and listing it as a print only item on an auction site.
NOT HAPPY
on 17 October 2012
This has been a great buy having struggled with an ancient laser printer that kept running out of memory. This nifty machine does everything except make the tea! Great for scanning and copying. Printing of envelopes is a little tricky since it involves fiddling with the back of the machine. Otherwise it is brilliant.
on 7 August 2013
The printer is exactly what I wanted and was a very reasonable price. It is very neat and sits well on my desk. I had no trouble in setting it up. As an elderly woman who has had little experience with setting things up that is a plus . Thank you.