Customer reviews

Format: Vinyl|Change

on 9 April 2017
Cracking album filled with great songs. Thoroughly enjoyable.
on 17 November 2016
very happy
on 27 December 2015
Given as present can't comment
on 4 June 2016
Great album, not a poor track among them
The Arctic Monkeys' fourth album was certainly very different to the first two in it's style, but a change of direction had already begun in 2009 with 'Humbug', their third album. Unlike several of my friends, I started playing 2010's 'Suck It And See' on repeat virtually straight away. The album is very experimental, with songs that are less dark and fast, and largely more slower and wistful, this is quality guitar pop, with smart lyrics and the usual energy throughout. Some of the tracks aren't as instantly engaging or memorable as those on Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not, so I'd recommend that you give them a few spins over before you make your final judgement.

What I like about this one is that it has a real vintage, psychedelic feel to it, very 1970s in it's flavour, but with a modern-day twist. The lads were maturing nicely with this album, and progressing further as serious contemporary, but always original artists. That's not to say that I personally regard it as a masterpiece (I reserve that title for their latest record AM) in terms of the complete package, as do with a lot of the early stuff, but I still rate 'Suck It and See' very highly. It didn't spawn any really big hit singles, but songs like 'Reckless Serenade', 'She's Thunderstorms', ''Library Pictures', 'Black Treacle', 'Don't Sit Down 'Cause I've Moved Your Chair ', and 'Brick By Brick' are all solid tunes. You also get a re-recorded version of the 'Submarine' movie tune 'Piledriver Waltz', although, if I'm honest, as good as this is, I still favour Alex Tuners' sublime solo version.

Polished, overlooked and underrated, I suggest that you do buy this album and give it a chance. 4.5 stars!
on 2 December 2011
I was never really sure about the Arctic Monkeys until this album. Over five years ago when they came onto the scene I thought they were heavily overrated and I still stand by the opinion that they were overhyped with typical ridiculous NME proclamations like 'best band since The Beatles etc'. Since then, I've listened to their work and it has grown on me over the years, but still sceptical of their ability to add a lot more to their songwriting. Well this album shows me that there is a lot of life in this band yet and that they're not one trick ponies. There have been some mumblings from fans that this album doesn't nearly match their first two but I completely disagree. Suck It And See is the album that brings a lot more emotional depth to this band, and for a bunch of 25 years old, it's amazing to see the maturity of these songs compared to the relentless and raw first two albums. Albeit those two albums are fantastic, but Suck It And See brings more qualities to the band. Alex Turner croons his lyrics and is arguably his finest vocal performance yet, and you get echoes of Morrissey in this album also. For the most part, the sound is less raw and more sophisticated, taking a few ideas from the mixed bag of an album Humbug. The title track provides the best example while arguably being the band's most beautiful sounding song yet. For me, this is their best album yet. And they're still a young band so whatever they come up with next is going to be fascinating.
on 30 April 2013
I was in a record shop when this was playing, I have to admit I always thought the Arctic Monkeys were crap. They most definitely are not. This is great! I bought it straight away and love it, it might be sacrilege but I wasn't too keen on the first album, they have been maturing into a top quality band, good playing smart lyrics and a real energy about them. I always read the 1* reviews on amazon for a laugh and to see what people really dislike about albums, there are some corkers on this one, ignore them this is the sound of a good band losing their obvious influences and getting better.
on 6 June 2011
The Arctic Monkeys rose to prominence with a style of music that was fairly upbeat, lively and more rock orientated and with each new album they move further away from their early template, shedding fans with each new release along the way.

With the band's previous album, Humbug, the music became more difficult and experimental, with production duties being handled in part by legendary QOTSA/Kyuss musician Josh Homme.

For fans who were very turned off by Humbug, this latest album, Suck It And See is not the glorious return to the style of their debut album that you may be hoping for.

The musical direction suggested by excellent single `Don't Sit Down `Cause I Moved Your Chair,' and the drummer-singing pre-release track `Brick By Brick,' may have been misleading as the overall tone is less rock orientated than previous Arctic Monkeys material.

The album rather, is a mixture of the slower, more ballad style material such as Alex's solo work and Arctic Monkeys works like the B Side `The Bakery,' or `505,' from Favourite Worst Nightmare, with the experimental style found on Humbug (here especially on tracks such as the weird `Library Pictures,' and on `All My Own Stunts' where Josh Homme makes his fifth guest vocal appearance with the band)

Cleaner, more acoustic or quiet tracks such as `Reckless Serenade,' and `The Hellcat Spangled Shalalala,' form the majority of the album and there is even a reworking of Alex's solo ballad from the Submarine EP `Piledriver Waltz.'

Ignoring musical direction however, the album is very strong, with a diverse and musically interesting set of songs with the same vocal and lyrical style and quality you can always find in Arctic Monkeys music.

Overall, this album is worth checking out if you are a fan of everything the band do, and are happy with their progression and shifts in direction over the years, but I would not recommend it to fans who vastly prefer the style found on Whatever People Say I Am That's What I'm Not because this album is perhaps the polar opposite of that album, where a consistent set of sharp and direct songs are replaced with either subtle and ponderous or just downright weird ones.
44 Comments| 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 June 2015
Can't really fault this. Humbug was a tad dark for my taste, and though this album retains the Monkeys' sardonic view, with the usual brilliant lyrics (that's not a skirt girl, that's a sawn-off shotgun etc...) it's also got cracking tunes, something which a couple of tracks were missing from Humbug. Still my go-to AMs album, years after its release. If you've got a turntable, get it on vinyl, it's worth the extra dosh.
on 20 June 2011
When you're no good, you get compared to others. When you're great, you get compared to yourself. That seems to be what's happening here. The Arctic Monkeys are having a hard time living up to their previous efforts. I didn't like like Humbug, but this album is far better than Humbug, and it's every bit as good as Favourite Worst Nightmare. I also believe that if this were the first offering from this band, they would be the toast of England...the next big thing. The first 3 songs on this album are the worst 3 on the album. I'm not sure that's how I'd start an album having so much good material to choose from and after releasing something like Humbug, but that's what they chose to do. Start with track 4 and go to the end. You won't be disappointed. After that, tracks 1-3 will be more palatable. This is a great album, and this is a great band.