on 20 May 2017
great item fast delivery
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 17 September 2017
Good pace, exciting and emotional in all the right places. Without giving anything away I'm sincerely hoping one particular part is an easter egg!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 8 April 2015
Could not put this book down! Can't wait to read the next book. If it's half as good as this one I'll be happy
on 13 February 2016
Picked up this book as a Christmas present for a young nephew, but sadly he never got it.
The reason being that I picked it up and could not put it down (I am 56 and don't normally read this type of material). Have to say that it is a very well written story and I have since read all 5 books, each as well written as this one. Totally enjoyed the idea that heritage, history and the supernatural have been brought together in such an enjoyable read. Not too far fetched as to be unbelieveable, highly imaginative and would make an excellent film (in my opinion).
on 8 July 2013
I absolutely loved this! As a children's librarian I spend a lot of time reading not very good teenage fiction but this pulled me in from the first page. Gruesome and intriguing with a superb cast this really did tick all the boxes. I have recommended it to boys and girls who have enjoyed it equally which is extremely unusual. The next two books in the series are also superb and it just keeps getting better. Can't wait for the next book. Give yourself a treat enjoy!!!
VINE VOICEon 4 February 2011
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Fourteen year old Jamie's life changes irrevocably as he is plunged into the secret world of Department 19, a.k.a. Blacklight and finds out his family's connection to it. Plenty of drama and slayings. Although another book based on the eternally (!) popular vampire theme, I felt that this book will appeal equally to boys and girls for a change because it incorporates high-tech gadgetry, lots of action, has just a touch of romance and is written from a male point of view. I am not sure that the Frankenstein element helped draw the reader into the story but overall it was very readable considering the age group that it is aimed at. I would recommend this for older teens due to the graphic description of some killings and the horror.
on 7 August 2011
I really, really, really wanted to love Department 19. I'd heard so many good things about it I thought I had to read it as soon as possible. Unfortunately for me it didn't quite live up to my expectations. If anything it was a book of two halves.

Bits of it were very good and bit of it were for me not quite so. I loved for example virtually every chapter with Jamie in and I loved the idea of their being a secret agency which was looking after our backs when vampires are lurking behind every corner - something that I would certainly hope existed if the time ever came - eek!

But there were bits which for me slowed the story right down and in places I struggled to keep reading. I didn't like most of the chapters which filled in backstory (although there were exceptions to this).

Having said this I loved Larissa - she immediately jumped off the page and very quickly become my favourite character - If anything I kept reading because of her I just would have like to have seen more of her in there!

I also loved how the story tied in characters from vampire mythology, Dracula's story for example crops up and I think it will play quite a big role in the next book. we also see reference made to Van Helsing and my favourite monster of the lot (though calling him a monster in this book is somewhat unfair) - Frankenstein :D

The story did take some interesting twists which I didn't see coming and the main evil vampire fairly deserves the title ultimate villain - he was mean and cruel and generally not very pleasant. This leads to an ending which satisfyingly closes all the loose ends while (if you read the epilogue's) at the same time leave's a massive cliffhanger for the next book.

I would strongly advise reading other reviews of Department 19 rather than relying on mine as as I said at the start all the other blogs I've seen reviewing it are full of praise for it and I think I'm the odd one out :p
VINE VOICEon 1 April 2011
If I had to sum up Department 19 in a few words they would be these: fast paced action adventure story for boys (and non wussy girls!!) with MI5 style vampire hunters who quite frankly kickass.

I don't often read YA books aimed more at boys than girls but this book has made me think that I should do more often.

The story revolves around Jamie Carpenter, an ordinary book who has just found out that vampires exist, his late father was a vampire hunter working for a MI5 style organisation and that his mother has been taken captive by the second oldest vampire in the world. Jamie is an awesome lead character. He steps up to the challenges thrown at him, is brave and courageous (and loves his mum). I loved following his story and watching him grow within Department 19 despite the obstacles he was facing. I can't wait to see more of him in future books and can definitely see him turning into a bit of a heartbreaker.

I really enjoyed being introduced to Department 19 through Jamie's eyes and via the flashback chapters. Seeing through Jamie was brilliant as things started to become clearly and untangle themselves the deeper he got into the organisation. I enjoyed sharing in his fascination in this new world and following him as he found his place in it. I loved how the story then used flashbacks to tell more of the background to the story of Department 19. The historian in me went mad for the bits set in the late 1800s and early 1900s. I liked how the author used stories from that time like Dracula and Frankenstein and tied them into the history of his own story.

One thing this book delivers well is its action. The scenes in which things kicked off were gripping. the gadgets the team had were very cool in a James Bondesque way and certainly something that I think would draw the boys in. Even wimpy old girly me wanted to go out in a department 19 issue suit and kill some vampires with a T-Bone after reading this

All in all a stunning debut novel which was thoroughly engaging throughout. I am already looking forward to the sequel.
on 9 December 2014
Just read the entire series back to back. There are no spoilers below. Okay let's clear up something - to call these young adult stories is to suggest a limited audience - nothing could be more wrong. If this was made into a film series and if there is any justice it will be (it would blow Twilight out of the ball park, the car park and into the next town) you could probably only do justice to it with an 18+ certificate. The nearest thing would be the style of the old 'Ultra-violet' tv series (also brilliant!) Yep you are going to need to take just two leaps of faith, vampires exist and so does Frankenstien. From them on you are the world of special forces, strong characters and a full developed realistic and rational world. Yes there is the sweet teenage romance...no hang on there isn't...here we have the main character Jamie coming to terms with what is happening in his life in the department and Larissa who can tear your head off. Yes they work brilliantly as characters but definitely not 'sweet'! This series offers a strangly believable and gradually more terrifying world with each story. The violence is graphic but never pointless and is necessary to create the tension. Now I just have to wait for the concluding book! My recommendation is to buy it but give yourself time because once you start you will want read the rest!
on 22 April 2015
I received an arc copy of this from the Publishers via NetGalley in return for an honest review.

I would describe this as a super fast action packed thriller aimed at young adults, with a thirst for vampires, Frankenstein and the likes. Well written, dramatic, bits of violence,

Jamie Carpenter lands in Department 19, he discovers his late father was a vampire hunter for the government like a type of MI5 organisation. His mother is taken by another vampire (2nd eldest in the world). Jamie loves his mum and will do anything to get her back. Many obstacles are put in his way, you will love the flashbacks and descriptions provided, making it thoroughly enjoyable and interesting. It really is fast paced and I am sure boys, men and perhaps a few gutsy girls will love this book. Watch out for Jamie, looks like this lad could become a lead character in spin offs from this book, as there is much room for the author to do so.

Loved it even though I am far from being young or male, but I do love thrillers, and vampires so this was a great read for me.