on 22 July 2011
I bought this TV to replace an ageing Sony 27" CRT.

The TV installed well & was easy to configure with the Blueray & Sky HD boxes. The remote control works both the Sony Blueray & TV boxes. The Sky remote works the TV as well as the Sky box. I did not setup Freeview, as we already have Sky.

On installation, the TV although quite large, is very light in weight. Anyone with small children or large dogs, may want to firmly attach the TV to it's table top, Otherwise it is quite easy to knock over.

For my first step into flat screen TVs, I am happy with the picture quality, although I have got used to the picture quality very quickly, so there is no longer any "wow" effect. What is disappointing, is the very poor sound quality. The sound is not very loud & had no bass. This does let itself down especially when watching films. I have been hunting for a suitable sound bar ever since turning on the TV, so you may need to consider factoring in the cost of a sound bar with this TV. Although Sony list two of their own models of sound bar for this TV, it does not seem to be possible to buy them anywhere. 1 star knocked off for poor sound.
22 Comments| 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 February 2012
Having had my trusty old Sony Trinitron for approx 12 years, took the plunge and bought a new 46" Bravia 3D TV.

Wow, how times have moved on !

First of all, let me just say it is a thing of beauty. It sits in the living room, sleek and elegant with its gloss black finish. More inputs and outputs than you need, but the true joy comes when you switch it on.

The picture quality is simply superb even with the factory default settings, the menu system is intuitive to use and navigate to where you want.

Plugging a lan cable into the router, internet content is available again very easy to use.

The TV arrived ion Friday, spent Saturday morning setting it up (along with the Sony Surround system ordered) and have enjoyed the TV and surround sound experience with no difficulties or teething problems.

I can't comment on the 3D aspects as I'm not sure the price Sony charge for their glasses is worth it. More interested in the HD 2D picture, and only opted for the 3D TV as it was actually cheaper than Sony's equivalent 2D TV !!! (Go figure)

All in all, I would not hesitate to recommend this TV to anyone.
on 29 August 2011
For the price, which I feel is very good, this Sony 3D TV is worth every penny. It really has everything and much, much more. It is also very easy to set up even for me. I was a Samsung person but I am converted to Sony. I was pleasantly surprised on how much this 3D TV can really do. And it looks good too.
on 9 April 2012
This is a great tv for the money, it has all of the smart tv features including iplayer. You either need to purchase the WiFi dongle or buy a set of home plugs to connect to the internet. The picture is great out of the box, I have hardly had to alter the setting at all, unlike the Samsung tv I recently purchased. It has the 200hz motion flow system, the it is actually 100hz, but you can definitely tell the difference, especially on sports. No juddering like on my 50hz tv.
It even has a motion sensor that will turn off the tv if no-one is detected.

The only niggle I have is that the remote doesn't have a last channel button which allows you to quickly skip back to the last channel you were watching. So you have to go back into the guide or remember the channel number.

It also records programmes to a USB stick, although it only has one tuner so you have to watch what you are recording.

The sound is poor, lacking any bass or midrange. This is due to the thin nature of the set, I have hooked mine up to the hifi via the output jack on the side, or you could purchase some pc speakers (which arent expensive).
on 12 September 2011
I recommend this TV for it's excellent picture quality and huge number of features.

Freeview HD is superb, internet connectivity (I have the TV hard-wired to my router) works really well, BBC iPlayer, 5 on demand, YouTube and Lovefilm as well as Sony's Qriocity services mean that you can watch loads of stuff, any time you like. All the features work well and the TV reacts quickly to the remote control.

It works seamlessly with my Sony DVD player, even using the TV's remote. I have the DVD player in the cupboard below the TV and it still works with the doors shut as the remote commands are sent via the TV through the HDMI cable.

The record to hard disk feature works well but don't expect it to replace your PVR. You can set it to record using the TV guide, but it is of limited use as it will only record the channel you are watching and won't let you pause live TV etc. The disk has to be registered to the TV, so you can't transfer the disk from TV to TV.

I've not tried the 3D functionality yet as I have neither the glasses (not included with the TV) or any way of playing 3D through it.

My only problem is the sound quality. I didn't expect great things, but it is very weak and tinny. It is very easily upgradeable though. If you plug a stereo into the headphone socket, the volume is controlled by the remote as usual or you can set it as a fixed volume line out. There is also an optical audio out or you can use ARC (on HDMI 1) if you have a home cinema setup.

In summary, a good quality TV with loads of really useful features and a few I will probably never use.

Update: I've just discovered that I can send photos and videos and music straight from my android phone to the TV. Photos and videos (supported formats only) show full screen and with smooth video. When playing music, the album artwork shows on the screen. Cool. The tv needs to be connected to you home network (wifi or ethernet) for this to work though.
on 21 May 2011
Excellent tv, hd picture is amazing and 3d very good(no need for 3d sync unit). Internet tv gets used everyday for iplayer or love film, track id is useful. There are more than enough hdmi connections and the tv looks amazing very pleased.
22 Comments| 68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 April 2012
I recently spoilt myself on a new tv, upgrading from a Samsung 32" HD ready. SO WORTH IT.

Full HD / 3D / HD Freeview / Internet TV and the fantastic Sony Playstation Home menu makes this tv a breeze to setup and a joy to watch.

Best experienced with a Sony Cinema System, with a simple hdmi cable and an optical cable comes automatic sound switch over (smart switch for the tv to mute and all sound to come from the surround, turn it off and the tv turns its sound back on)

With the Sony Home you can turn on the Sony appliances with a touch of a button.

Also works very well with PS3, turns on as well through the tv with a touch of a button from the Sony Home.

Both the ps3 and Sony cinema system allow full access with the one and only tv remote, just like using the original. (Of course for the ps3 you would want to switch back to a controller when playing games).

Only thing to remember when buying a tv like this is:
1) 3d glasses, they cost around 80-120 pounds each. Keep them safe!
2) HDMI Cables - Best to get the newset needed for 3d playback (version 1.4 3D compatible)
3) Full integration with a Sony Cinema System needs an Optical Wire
4) PS3 3D needs the newest HDMI cable to work (1.4 3D compatible)
5) Sony Internet TV will only work wirelessly with Sony Toggle (80 pound approx), LAN is available.

Enjoy this amazing TV now!
on 1 November 2011
I've had this TV for just 1 month and so far I'm very pleased with it

Positives:
Nice looking TV, thin and surprisingly light
Very easy to set up
Picture quality of HD programmes on Freeview HD is excellent, SD is good too.
The 100Hz refresh gives nice smooth action
The intenet connectivity was very easy to set up and works really well even though my internet connection is average at best.(I used wired not wireless as my TV is close to my router)

Negatives:
Sound quality is average, I bought a digital cable and play back through my audio system.
Too many options on the menus make them a little confusing

I haven't tried the 3D yet as I don't have a suitable source, I really got this as a future proofing option.
Buying through Amazon was the usual good experience.
In all, I'm really happy with my purchase.
on 8 May 2011
This really is a wonderful TV, worth every penny. The hardest part of getting it to work was putting the batteries into the remote! the set-up is exceptionally easy. The quality and depth of the picture is really out of this world, and I haven't even tried the 3D element as I am waiting on the arrival of my glasses. The look of the TV is great though I cannot comment too much on the sound as I run mine through an audio system. Amazon have been very very helpful except......why oh why do they use City link as carriers? 2 days I lost, waiting home for the arrival of my goods. It finally arrived at 20.13hrs on the day after it was supposed to arrive. I would suggest Amazon ditch City Link and seek a more reliable carrier as this is not my first problematic experience with City Link failing to deliver when expected. Their (City Link) web page is a joke and it is practically impossible to get through on the phone to them. It costs you a fortune when you finally do get a response to your call. But I can't thank Amazon enough.

Received my 3D glasses from Sony. Effect on Sky 3D channel 217 is brilliant. I can't understand why they don't work with Blu Ray 3D though. The sony 3D glasses now work perfect with the TV and 3D dvd Blu-Ray player could not ask for Better.
1515 Comments| 61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 April 2012
The EX723 range is excellent, especially now that prices have dropped from initial launch. I bought two. But like many of the Sony TVs released over the last year, the HDD recording facility does not work properly. Conveniently, programmes can be recorded to a USB HDD via the TV's EPG. But the programmes then appear in the recording/title list with the name of the previous, unrelated programme! Which means that it is difficult to find your recorded programme again and makes the facility all but unusable. Sony know that this problem exists but are batting away complaints. It could be fixed via software/firmware, but they show no sign of doing so. This is a poor show. I am a long-time fan of Sony but am beginning to wonder.....