Format: Audio CD|Change

on 23 May 2011
I picked up a copy of this cd at Jon's gig on Friday night and gave it a few spins over the weekend. His debut album was so good that it was always going to be difficult to follow up, but this is a mighty fine effort. The sound is more refined and the whole album rather more produced than Dead Mans Suit, and therefore probably more radio friendly. It's also more musically diverse than DMS with different influences creeping in. To me he remains at his best when the songs are pared back and the backing vocals and horns on the title track are a mistake, but it is still a great collection of songs beautifully sung. It makes me look forward to album number three as much as I looked forward to this one. The final song is a little masterpiece called Last Orders and concludes with the line 'and the bells of goodbye never sound' an appropriate thought for his carear which is still on the up. For a taster checkout Jon's facebook page where half the album is being streamed.
on 7 September 2011
I fisrt heard this on radio 2 and liked his voice so much I decided to get the album and I don't regreat it one bit, it is a very enjoyable cd to listen too. I look forward to hearing more from this artist.
on 26 February 2014
I have both of this guy's albums and cannot decide which I like best. I did not anticipate him bettering Dead Man's Suit, but he has come very close, with a real mix of catchy lyrics, such as in Stealing Away, lovely songs like Last Orders, Joanna. I for one can't wait for his next and wonder why he doesn't get the recognition he deserves.
on 30 July 2011
Do you remember the Rutles' Beatles parody, when every song in the film/on the album sounded just like a particular Beatles' song? Well, we have a modern day equivalent. My wife introduced this to me a couple of weeks back and on listening to her favourite track I thought' this song sounds just like `here there and everywhere'. Then I heard another and thought `this sounds just like Bob Dylan's `Just like a woman'. Other songs may strike a chord with fans of Elkie Brooks, Rod Stewart, Stealers's Wheel, Dylan (again),Gladys Knight and.....well, the list is almost as long as the track listing.
If you can get the similarities out of your head it's perfectly reasonable AOR, which sounds for the most part like, given Allen's husky delivery, a cross between Chris Rea, late Rod Stewart and Bryan Adams in mellower mood. Having heard it several times it's not bad, although in this market I think James Blunt writes the better (and more original-sounding) songs
on 10 November 2011
This is one of my favourite albums of the year - I absolutely love it. Jon Allen's voice and overall songwritting skills are superb. I was also lucky enough to see him live in London at the Borderline with his band, the only downside being that the songs sounded even better live than on the album.

The great thing about this album is that every track is good and there is a variety of material from catchy folk/pop, bluesy shuffles and soulful ballads. Yes, one could accuse Jon Allen of deriving strong influences from the likes of Dylan, Al Stewart, Paul McCartney, J J Cale etc. but these are all good influences and if you stand back the work hangs together as undeniably his own. Oh, and this is real music. Will be buying this for a load of friends to spread the gospel. Buy this and try and see him if you can.
on 26 July 2011
I caught Jon Allen originally via tha Radio 2 playlist when his last album was released and was also lucky enough to see him live. He also appeared on Radio 2's Drivetime show recently and, apart from performing numbers from Sweet Defeat, did a tremendous rendition of the Rolling Stones' "Angie" for their Great British Songbook.
Writing a follow-up to Dead Man's Suit must have been a pretty hard task, but this a great album. It has a mix of rocky & bluesy numbers, along with some wistful love songs. Jon is a terrific young singer/song-writer and deserves to succeed with this latest offering.
on 22 July 2011
this dvd is just fantastic after listening to this i had to buy his first album,he reminds me of so many people all rolled into one...just to mention a few..dylan,leonard cohen,bryan addams,donavon,the beatles,stereophonics and more...would recomend this artist to everyone,just waiting for him to do his next album now..and hoping that he puts a song by him called sarah this is a beautiful song done with mark knopfler (if that`s how you spell it?)just brilliant.
on 6 October 2014
Ignore the obvious - yes he does sound a little like Rod Stewart but this guy is a real talent believe me. Rarely do you get an album where EVERY track is a really good one but on the strength of the title track, which I heard on the radio, I bought this album and I was blown away. He only has three albums out, this is his second. I immediately ordered the other two. I would recommend you do the same, you will NOT be disappointed !
on 23 September 2011
I love this album. I have bought many albums in the past and always found that I like some songs but not others, but this on is different as I love all of them. My kids, who have completely different musical tastes, also now say their favourite songs come from this album. There are beautiful sad songs, jazzy uptempo songs, and lovely ballads. I loved this album so much I bought it for my relations and friends as birthday presents.
on 1 July 2011
Jon Allen is a very talented young singer songwriter.I have attended several live performances
and found him to be a wonderful entertainer.This new album is even better than the first.
His voice is unique and I love it.