Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 3 July 2011
I heard Sarah play live in Seattle in June and was taken by the tone and stength of her voice, and the mix of country plus a whole set of unexpected musical instruments. Country meets folk with cello, violin, and some simple mixes. Her voice live is outstanding. This album captures her songs and melodies well. Personally I'd prefer less 'studio production' but am happily listening to this album. I've also got 'Song up in her head', Sarah's earlier album. Someone to watch.
on 2 May 2013
I saw Sarah at a Bluegrass Festival in Texas when she was in a 'family around the Mic' band as a 14 year old and was impressed then, but when I came across her again a few years later I was bowled over at her progress. Americans are good at encouraging young talent so that they can get the stage maturity early. I absolutely love her smooth yet slightly raspy vocal (giving Alison Krauss a run for her money) and also having access to the best Bluegrass musicians gives her the best possible start. I have this album on continuous play in the Car and my favourite is 'Gypsy' with Jerry Douglas (Dobro/weissenborn).. Aaaahh More please..
on 12 February 2014
One of the best albums I've bought in years (I've not bought many this century, I admit, but the fact I knuckled down and bought this one surely speaks volumes for its awesomeness).

American folk/bluegrass with a little bit of new-ness and a whole lot of exceptional musicianship. Annabelle Lee is a killer. But it's certainly not the only one on here.
on 28 July 2014
A very talented young lady...I enjoy her sound, her playing and her lyrics. Very tasty sidemen as well...well worth the listen.
on 27 January 2016
Always good
on 22 July 2014
New artiste to me but really growing on me!
on 28 June 2011
I ordered this CD in the spirit of adventure following an accidental encounter on Amazon. In short it is absolutely brilliant. It is the first CD in a long time that I have played all the way through and then immediately on its finishing played again. The fact that Shawn Colvin sings harmony on the opening track helps of course. (The latter is to my mind the best Singer/Songwriter of the last two decades). But each track continues to build on the last. She is multi-talented. A beautiful voice and master of several instruments including the Banjo, Guitar and Piano. There is also a great deal of musical variety.
For the Audiophile, this record is superbly mastered and makes a great Demo Recording. For a change the recording has a clear clean and undistorted quality. A superb utilisation of Strings for backing.
Apart from Paul Simon's latest, this is the Record, thus far, of the Year.
on 30 December 2012
A lovely album from this talented singer/multi-instrumentalist.
Some of the earlier comments about her limited (?) vocal range are unfair as i feel it's her gorgeous voice that actually breathes life into this album although there's no doubt some excellent musical backing too, notably some beautiful violin playing.
She has written most of the tracks herself, in fact my least favourite track is the Bob Dylan cover "ring them bells", and she also does a fine cover of Radiohead's "the tourist". Her mandolin & banjo playing is also excellent and she even makes "annabelle lee" sound like a bygone classic although that may be partly due to the fact it's an adaption of an Edgar Allan Poe poem?
There's almost a hoedown on "floating in the balance" and a jig on "old smitty" making it a varied and interesting album being basically i suppose a country/folk/bluegrass amalgam of high quality.
on 28 February 2013
My wife and I have seen Sarah live in a small 100 audience.
This album will not dissapoint.

Keep up your good work Sarah!

Thank you for sharing the gift you have.

Andy 'n' Nicky.
on 23 January 2013
My brother-in-law always make a Christmas list so he always gets what he wants, so I'm presuming he's happy with all the gifts we got him