on 1 September 2015
The content is excellent. Anyone who can master the key techniques introduced here is well on the way to becoming an accomplished performer. The book is detailed and thorough. It seems to me to be all the more a pity that the explanations are not clearer and more simply expressed. The author’s dexterity with cards does not extend to words, alas. The drawings are largely redundant, certainly not clarifying the words.

Readers also need to be aware that all here depends on sleight of hand, when there are of course some marvellous tricks that involve deception of quite different kinds. For anyone who has the persistence and determination to penetrate to Hugard’s and Braue’s meaning and to put in the many hours of practice required to master the skills, they will acquire impressive expertise, but a beginner is likely to become quickly discouraged. For those well on the road to proficiency this book has much to offer and probably repays the struggle with less than transparent elucidation of principles.
on 29 December 2014
This is about as good a book as you could hope for on card magic. It's written by somebody who not only explains the tricks, but how to "perform" them. Lots of tips about how to keep your patter amusing, and keeping the audience entertained.

My major problem with the book though is that slight of hand is very hard to explain in text. You really need to see it in action in order to be able to emulate it. I'm sorry, but the diagrams (for me) are quite hard to fathom.

But this is definitely worth a read. It's got some cracking card tricks in here, and I definitely intend to try a few out on my mates.
on 20 July 2016
Very thorough and easy to pick up. This is THE card magic tutor YOU NEED! I'm a complete beginner and within a month I can already do a man shuffle control, false shuffles, etc.
Most magicians will tell you, this is the card magicians BIBLE.
Buy it, study well and become a student of the art of magic. You will be rewarded! Good luck!
on 14 May 2017
Very good for anyone starting out and also for a refresh of techniques for the more experienced. One point is that you have to put the practice in before moving too quickly through the book as you will struggle otherwise.
on 14 April 2016
I'm not sure if it's just me but I find it really difficult to make sense of the descriptions in this book because I can't visualise them. I've never seen the word phalange so many times in my life. Every sentence that starts talking about where I should place my phalanges I end up being unable to understand. YMMV because I may just have comprehension issues, but be warned if you suspect you might struggle too.
on 12 October 2014
I bought this for my husband as he wanted a new hobby, it's opened his eyes to a whole new world of things to do with cards and everyone he speaks to regarding magic (inc our local magic shop owners) say it's a good book to be learning from. He's now surprising me often with new tricks that I cannot figure out and his collection of cards has grown exponentially. I would recommend this book and a pack of cards to anyone who wants to learn.
on 3 March 2016
Looks like lots of fun. Am already enjoying the kudos . . . (smile) But then the one eyed man is always King in the land of the blind. The hardest discipline is not to divulge 'how it is done!' Buy this, you will be delighted.
on 29 April 2017
Excellent book very detailed
on 1 May 2017
Kids love it & kids described it as 'Epic' the magic tricks do work .... Just need a little practice & it's a world of fun trying :)
on 14 February 2012
This book will not introduce anything you cannot understand clearly.
It is designed for the card novice but even after the first chapter you'll feel you are producing miracles.

The material is arranged in progression. Introducing a new method and then showing you tricks you can do with it.
You never feel like you're out of your depth.

It's the first book I've bought like this and it's given me a hobby that I would love to perfect.
Also don't underestimate the value of watching some of the things mentioned. Tap in some of the things on Youtube and there are many people who have set out to help you understand this book if you search for the right thing. Or of course there's the pricier option of purchasing a DVD set along with the book. This is an excellent investment and will help you to move quickly :)