on 27 April 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The software is very simple and easy-to-use. You install it, point it at the backup drive you want to use, the drives you want to backup, and that's it, it will start backing up everything. There are very few options and settings you can change. For example, I would have liked the ability to exclude certain directories (temporary files) and file types (virtual machine drive files), but SaveMe pretty much just backs up everything.

One quick tip: a little-advertised fact is that Rebit's software is available for a free 30-day trial period. Go to Rebit.com's support forums and look for the "latest version" discussion thread, where you'll find download links for Rebit's software.

A second quick tip: You still ought to get an offsite backup IN ADDITION to this! What if there's a fire? Or a burglar steals your computer _and_ the backup drive?! What I do is use a free Dropbox account. It's only 2GB, for the free package, but that's _plenty_ for all my irreplaceable Word documents, Excel Spreadsheets etc.
VINE VOICEon 12 May 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
All you get is a case with a serial number. You have to download the software from their site then after the 90day trial period, you need to enter the keycode. Easy enough, quite why some of the other reviewerc couldn't figure this out I'm not sure.

Now to the set-up & the interface; there's not much to say. Agree Ts & Cs, select the drive to back-up to, then select the drive you want to back-up. Simple!

However, now follows my greatest problem with this software. You cannot select the individual folder to back-up! You're forced into having the wait hours and hours whilst this horrible little bit of software backs up your entire c-drive.

The reason I got this software was with a view to back-up of my vast photo collection (and ONLY my photo collection) onto an external drive. Hopefully it would automatically back-up the added files once they had been uploaded to my PC. I doesn't do either of these exactly as I want.

My final gripe is that It's soooo slow and once backup has started, you can't stop it!

Overall this is a neat & simple bit of software but it's too simple for me. By the way, as I write this, after an hour it's backed-up 3.3% of 105gb of data.. can I hear tumbleweed?
VINE VOICEon 14 June 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
When phishing, cybercrime and hacking are not only becoming everyday news items but also gaining entry to the Oxford English Dictionary it is reassuring that the software exists to protect, or at least backup, all those valuable photos, documents and mp3 files on your computer.
Rebit 5 works so quietly and unobtrusively that I sometimes think it's not actually doing anything. One check though and it's obvious that everything I transfer from a digital camera or download from Amazon's mp3 site is being carefully stored and protected. The software itself is simple to install and once it's running is very efficient - it doesn't appear to affect the speed of my computer at all. PX Software claim that Rebit 5 also offers a quick and easy recovery of data from crashes and viruses - hopefully I will have to take them at their word but I'd rather feel safe than become another sorry victim of the cyber criminals.
VINE VOICEon 15 July 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a useful product which does the job. I found rebit very easy to install on my Vaio VPCEB4E4E. This computer is quite new and I havent had a chance to fill it with junk yet so everything progressed smoothly. However I do have an extensive iTunes library and stacks of photos which I want to keep safe since I dont want to have to cut my CD's again and certainly dont want to lose the pictures.

I have several major issues with this in that the plastic, environmentally/landfill filling box was empty and I had to download the software. This is especially confusing since the back of the box lists a "CD Disk drive" as a pre-requisite. However if I were not a computer expert there is a strong possibility that I would open the box, see the disc missing and immediately return it. PX Software are not helping their users there.

A second issue, which is obvious to a techie such as myself, is that of course to back up at least part, if not all of ones computer, one will need a medium to back up to; either lots of DVDs or in this day and age a second (external) hard drive. The software does say this on the back of the box, however I feel that it should be more obvious for less computer literate users; perhaps a colourful sticker to the front of the box making clear that extra hardware is required.

Having said that the software was easy to install and use. The instructions are clear and it was very straightforward to back up the harddrive. Similarly, accessing backed up files is very straightforward and clear.

This tool is recommended as it does its job, however be prepared for the flaws mentioned above.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The first surprise on receiving this product is that despite being supplied in a DVD case there was no DVD/CD in there. There were instructions to download the program along with the activation code but this was quite straightforward and quick.

The second surprise was that the initial backup took over 24 hours and I was wondering what on earth when W7 back up only takes 3 to 4 hours. I was quite prepared to stop using it. However I persevered and eventually all was ready.

I don't think that the initial backup is helped on modern systems that have several background programs all working at the same time and most wanting to check for updates thus slowing everything down. Even Windows Media Centre wants to go online to update the program guide; HP looks for updates as well as Adobe, Kaspersky, Nvidia and not forgetting Windows itself and MS Office and an awful lot of others.

Now that the program is installed it seems impressive. It just trundles away, not noticeably, in the background just doing its stuff. That stuff means not only checking for changes every minute (or less) but backing up when needed and also keeping previous versions of changed documents etc. These checks are very fast.

There is very little in the way of settings for the user to tinker with. The user can choose what drives to back up and where to back them up to. Rebit 5 then seems to back up everything on the chosen drive(s). It is always best to backup to a device that is separate from the computer drives that you wish to back up - ie not an internal hard drive.

The files in the backup are `read only'. The user would need to save the backup file to their computer and then use that file. This is a good idea as it prevents the backup files from being accidently changed. Restoring files in this way is dead easy.

The program also makes recovery points which seem to duplicate Windows restore function. In addition the user can make a recovery disk to "recover your computer in case of disaster".

I used a portable Iomega drive and while Rebit 5 worked well I don't think the Iomega is suited to constant use as it gets very hot. I have 6 USB ports, 4 at the rear and 2 at the front. All the rears are in use and the Iomega cable uses 2 USBs leaving me with none. However Rebit 5 does not seem to mind if it is disconnected temporarily when the ports are needed for another purpose. Rebit 5 just resumes without fuss when the USB drive is reconnected. Rebit really needs to be connected out of the way and then forgotten about and just left to do its stuff. (Yes - I know about USB hubs but I did not have one at the time.)

I do think the Rebit would be outstanding for somebody who needs constant backups and has a NAS system on a faster connection than USB2.

I think it needs 5 stars for its abilities in data loss critical situations but the average home user would need to decide if the better backups Rebit gives over Windows are worth the price of Rebit itself and any necessary back up devices.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The premise of Rebit is a good one and, apart from one or two other reviews so far, I had no issues with the functionality of the Rebit software. This is perhaps because I already work in IT, and have well established tolerance levels where the speed of backing up data is concerned.

Please note the minimum PC requirements on the Amazon page differ from what Rebit has on its case. The case states in full, as follows:

+ it is definitely not compatible with Windows XP x64, but it is compatible with all other varieties of XP SP2 and later, as well as Vista and Windows 7

+ the media is NOT CD-ROM based, it is an internet download and auto installer

+ Pentium 4+ or AMD Athlon+ processor required

+ 2GB RAM

It doesn't give minimum hard drive space requirements - it just states "a customer supplied hard disk drive or network drive larger than the computer system drive"

There is also a picture of a disc on the reverse of the jewel case under the heading "install the software". Not to be a pedant, but just to point out to literal readers, you will not receive a CD with your Rebit software, you will be expected to download it. *Please* do not throw away the wispy bits of paper you receive in the case, you'll be throwing out your license key.

I can't believe it would be beyond the company to simply produce a disc with little autorun and a key file on it, but the software does auto install as part of the download routine, which makes it easier for the end user.

One the software is up and running, there is a clear and easy to use graphical interface showing your detected disks and backup status - the dashboard and product really is that easy to use!

As someone else has already mentioned, it would be a far superior product if it also provided for internet backup even to a small level. This would make it a superior and robust product - however as it stands, it is simply a clear, easy to use basic localised backup solution. If your hard drive bites the dust in a terminal way, so will your data. Still, for the cost, it is decent value for money for what it provides.

If you want to store data on the internet and haven't already, you can use your Hotmail or Windows Live account to use "Skydrive" - a 25GB capacity store. Note though, that individual files are limited to 50MB in size.
on 17 November 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
...nothing out of the ordinary. It can backup to any USB device (mass storage devices) or any NAS linked drive. This program is very much a 1-click solution, in that you can't specify what you want to back up, it just copies the whole harddrive. This is great for new computer users as it means they won#t miss out on any important files, but it is wasteful of HDD space and time. However, what was most disappointing was the complete lack of any online backup ability. Local backup is fine, but what if you get flooded or there is a fire? Online backup, at least for vital documents, should always be available in any such software. It could simply look for XML, Word, .txt files etc and back them up automatically. A couple of gigabytes would be more than enough and would cost next to nothing for the people behind ReBit to provide.

So, if you only want local backup, this will do. It's cheap and works acceptably.If not, look elsewhere.
VINE VOICEon 6 August 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a basic solution for netbooks, the box contains instructions to download the product i if you are expecting a CD-ROM for a laptop then you need to purchase another version - this comes in a box which is effectively empty!!

It finds your hardrive and copies everything. It really is quite basic - it does the job and saves you doing it manually but you can't select particular options or certain files. It is a good solution but i'd recommend VERY important files on an online back-up also, it would be good if the product came with this option also!

All in all a simple basic solution for netbooks.
VINE VOICEon 5 July 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Software like this is evidently useful as few of us are enthusiastic about backing up until disaster strikes. It reminds me a little bit of the wonderful Memeo software bundled with some Seagate drives but it differs in that it will also backup apps. The program works well and is easy to use.
However, I have to be critical and deduct a point for packaging waste. There is nothing in it. Of course, this is for netbooks that don't have optical drives, but it would be better to just make it a download without packaging. Though I can sympathise with the manufacturer as this is perhaps their only way to get it to the attention of Amazon customers.
VINE VOICEon 17 May 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I ordered this to use and review through the Amazon vine programme. I opened the sealed CD box and found no CD. After contemplating contacting Amazon about this 'mistake' I looked through the papers enclosed and found a web address with instructions to download this software from the website.
I followed the instructions which were pretty easy and included entering a code which was printed on the enclosed paperwork.
After I had downloaded it and run the software I proceeded to follow the instructions, when asked to select which drive was to be backed up from the two shown I selected it but then nothing happened. I went back through it and tried again but still nothing happened.
I decided the best thing to do would be to uninstall it and re-install. I did this but got exactly the same thing.
I then asked my son, who is a games programmer, to try this thinking that I was missing something (I have a very basic understanding of pc's and need installation to be straight forward). He also got the same result. The message was that it could not find the drive to back up. I gave up after this. This software is not so straight forward to use.