Customer reviews

on 6 May 2016
I'm a life long martial artist and have studied traditional and modern systems. What is missing from some ( possibly most styles) is reality based training techniques. There are lots of books that claim to have training systems that provide training for "real world combat" but what sets this book apart is the no nonsense (and by that i don't mean macho posturing) approach that clearly illustrates that Rory Miller has learned his lessons from experience but more importantly he has also thought it out and has developed a philosophy/system to really pass this knowledge on. I've met many great martial artists and many scarily effective fighters and brawlers but I've only met a handful of great teachers , I have never met Miller but from what I read in this book I suspect he's probably in that ratified few.
I would say that this book is probably most useful to those who have already done some training, its not a how to fight book, it does not teach techniques/moves. Its a training exercise book that will help you develop your reactions and understanding of certain scenarios. I'm 30 years training and I got a lot out of this book, it even explained some things that I instinctually knew from experience but never managed to intellectualise, like how you unbalance an opponent.....I could do it but I never thought about what the theory of it was.....I just knew what did and did not work. The concept that I knew something but (prior to reading the book) i could not verbalize it. I found to be very interesting. I highly recommend this to all martial artists or anybody training in some combat system. Especially those who teach!
22 Comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 23 July 2014
I have no hesitation in recommending anything written by Rory Miller. He says himself that he seems to have found his niche audience in those who've trained in martial arts and yet found themselves asking even more questions when their 'art' fails to deliver in terms of reality based training. The drills contained within this e-book begin with the most basic of concepts and progress steadily. For anyone who wishes to incorporate reality based training, and in particular instructors who wish to give students something really worth while then this is a very useful tool to get you going.
on 24 July 2017
Really good. Fills in the spaces, and respects the differences. But true learning is trying and working with it - which should be the next natural step.
on 28 March 2011
Recently I have become quite reflective about my own MA training and on situations in which I have found myself in the past. I began questioning where my training falls down, what my weak points are, how I can improve what I do, to what aim I am actually training. I read a lot of books. Recently I have read a lot on violence, on the physical and the psychological aspects of violence. Enter Rory Miller.

Meditations on violence was a very interesting book that helped me to question what I believe. This book, well this one helps me to do something about it. The drills in here are so diverse. There are so many ways to practice different elements of conflict and this book is an astonishing starting point for that. It addresses physical, psychological and emotional responses (and more), and yet it is written so accessibly and organised in an extremely sensible manner. Warning: some of the ideas in this book can provoke extreme emotional responses during training. This may be a good thing, depending on your viewpoint, or it may not. The choice is yours.

If you are interested in conflict, or if you wonder how you would respond in extreme circumstances and would like to test yourself a bit, I would definitely recommend this book.
on 10 March 2013
As a martial arts enthusiast I have been trying to fill the gap from dojo to street. I recently attended one of Rory Millers seminars and was so impressed with the drills and the knowledge I received, I immediately purchased this manual to refresh my memory for when I needed it. What makes this unique from other MA drill books is the fact it doesn't concentrate solely on physical drills but the use of ones mind and psyche in a violent situation ie being something else as in the plastic mind drill and tactically thinking finding options using walls,environment,space as in the one step drill. For the price this is a real gem for all martial enthusiasts or those interested in the study of violence.
on 1 July 2014
A great book from an expert in the field. Easy to understand and use the drills. You will need a background in some form of martial art or self-defence to get the benefits. If you run a club focused on practical self-defence, for example, this is a great way to find new and useful ways to enhance your training.
on 27 June 2011
For anyone who practises martial arts, but especially instructors, this is a treasure-trove of ideas on how to create a training environment that bridges the gap between classical martial arts and unplanned, unscripted self-defence situations.
on 3 October 2013
Not as engaging or eye opening as Meditations on Violence or Facing Violence, but will give marial artists some great practical ideas to take in to the classroom. We've tried a few out and they are very effective.
on 20 November 2016
Realistic. Applicable. Practical. Rational. Cuts through all the bulls*** and gets to the core of what self protection is really about: making it out alive
on 16 November 2016
If you want practical tips on how to train in realistic self-defence, look no further, you need to read this book