on 9 April 2012
I ordered this for myself (I am an adult) and I love it. Easy to set up, very lightweight, fits on a standard keyboard stand. Comes with its own A/C adapter so you don't have to bother with batteries if you don't want. Also comes with a slot-in plastic music stand. Sound is good, there is a headphones jack on the back as well. The keys are NOT weighted, bear that in mind. Overall if you want a very nice inexpensive keyboard that is still high quality, this is a good choice.
on 29 December 2011
The Yamaha NP-11 Piaggero Portable Digital Piano is a fine example of a low-budget, beginner to advanced player digital piano.

I recently sold a Korg SP250, which by rights is a proper digital piano (in that it has properly weighted keys, is the full width and weighs a tonne). The Yamaha NP-11, which rocks in at £350 cheaper than the Korg impressed on opening!

It lives up to its reputation in many ways. Much like the Korg, the NP-11 has a realistic grand piano voice, which you would expect for a company with such a historical share of the piano market. I wanted something portable but still piano-like for taking to gigs. The NP-11 has piano-style keys, about half weighted but the correct size. I enjoy the weighting of piano keys over, say, a keyboard, but with full-weight keys comes a heavy piano! The NP-11 weighs around 5kg! You can lift it with one finger. Compared to the Korg (which was about 20kg, this is definitely a 'portable' digital piano.

What is great about the NP-11 is despite being comparatively cheap to other electronic pianos, the quality is still there. It sounds great, feels great to play and even looks fancy, even if it is all plastic.

Due to the weighting of the keys the keyboard is suitable for beginners, especially children. Although it is not a full size piano keyboard, there are enough octaves there to play a wealth of songs. Unless your training to be the next Beethoven you should be fine.

Hidden in the keyboards disappointingly vague control panel are a number of additional tweaks that can be performed to the piano to alter its sounds/effects. Aside from having a small number of voices (which is fine if the intention is to use it as a 'piano'), you can alter the reverberation, octave, touch sensitivity, tuning (and transposition), amongst other things.

The only downside I have found with the keyboard is the control panel being so vague. I personally stuck a bit of masking tape on mine and wrote down the short cuts, but this is to help me when I am playing at a gig and want fast control. In time you will remember how to alter them all without the booklet (which is very clear). For general day to day playing, the piano is great. I prefer it to my £600 Korg in many ways and am glad I made the change.
33 Comments| 167 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 21 September 2011
Style: Digital Piano|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I haven't touched a piano key for thirty years. Probably as a result of being pressured to play by my parents when I just wasn't interested.

Well, things have certainly changed since this Yamaha NP11 Piaggero Portable Digital Piano came, fortuitously, into my life last week via Amazon Vine (thank you, very kind). If this is an `entry level' piano keyboard then the top end ones must be outstanding. The NP11 is beautifully made and the technology used to create it is truly 21st Century. The keys feel like they have a real weight to them and the sound is what I imagine a proper piano to sound like.

I want more. I want to be able to do this instrument justice and I will learn to play it properly. I think we're going to have a lot of fun this time.
11 Comment| 86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 May 2012
I bouth this item for my 7yr old daughter who has just started her Piano lessons. She likes it and it seems to be the right product for some one starting to learn the piano.
The tutor says that it will last at least until my daughter reaches her 3rd grade. I am not expert on this instrument, but it seems to deliver much the same sound as a grand piano. For me and my daughter it does the job with not too much money spent.
on 24 January 2012
Been wanting to get back into playing the Piano for ages (used to take lessons more than 15 years ago).

Did my research and read product reviews and this seemed to be the one! It was delivered very quick, although I had to check the contents of the box on arrival, the box was so LIGHT!

Once unwrapped, I was very pleased with the design of the Piano (loved the red trim on the keys), and how light and compact it was. Having my first play on it was very enjoyable,

I'm just waiting on a few extras (stand, books), before I really get into playing on a more regular basis.
on 21 July 2015
Good purchase, enjoy playing this
on 4 January 2012
My NP11 arrived today and I'm really impressed with it. It looks smart, is just the right size, and the piano style keys are much nicer than the flatter style you often find on keyboards.

There are a number of functions which you can alter too - you can transpose the notes of the keyboard to play different songs, you can adjust the sensitivity of the keys - and if you like you can set it to play a fixed tone when you press a key (as opposed to the touch sensitive options) which might be handy for people starting out.

I also bought a midi cable for mine (Xmidi e-mu interface available on amazon) and connected it to my laptop. I'm using a free bit of software called synthesia (like guitar hero for the piano) which so far is good fun. I can't read music so a program like this makes it easy to start to play songs I'd never be able to ordinarily. Also, the program actually delivers sound to the keyboard, and so if you chose to play with one hand (a good way to learn a song) synthesia will play the other. Or, you can just sit back and watch the whole song.

Overall, I think this keyboard is a great purchase, and well worth the money. I did a lot of research before buying this and I don't think there's anything better out there for this price for people who want a more piano-like experience.

Had I a bit more cash spare, and a bit more space I probably would have opted for the slightly larger version of this keyboard - the 79 key NP-31 but I love the portability and size of the NP-11, and being a student living in a shared house size was important. This fits perfectly in my bedroom which is brilliant. I think my housemates will appreciate the headphones I bought too!

Awesome buy!
11 Comment| 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 June 2012
I had been learning/teaching myself on a tiny keyboard, but ran out of notes. I'm glad I spent a bit more than I needed and got this lovely digital piano. It has a lovely tone and not too many whistles and bells to get me confused. I also bought the Yamaha stand and glad I did as it is very easy to fit and very stable.I can now play proper pieces and they sound pretty good (with the odd bum note from me) I would recommend this.
on 6 January 2012
My keyboard was delivered just over a week ago now, and I have to say that overall i'm very happy with it! First of all the service through Prime was excellent and it was delivered on time (even though it was being delivered to an offshore island). When the keyboard arrived the package was easy to open, and I was also pleased to see that most of the packaging was able to be recycled too.

The keyboard itself is very light and compact, and doesn't take up too much space. It is very easy to operate, especially if you are not too fussed about anything other than a standard piano sound (which I find fairly good). The volume wheel is quite sensitive, so it's easy to get the volume you are after. With only having 61 keys I would imagine it wouldn't be too daunting for someone beginning the piano to get to grips with, but it still offers enough scope to not be too limited for anyone with more advanced skills (especially considering the touch response settings and the option of being able to plug in a sustain pedal).

Some slight negatives I have found are that the keys are very noisy when pressed - so much so that it can sometimes be quite difficult to hear the notes being played over the noise of the keys when the volume is turned down (although using headphones blocks the noise out quite well). I also find that when playing two or more notes together it can be quite difficult to hear all the individual notes being played (although this could quite possibly just be my playing)! Although there are several different touch response settings you can select (fixed, soft, medium and hard) I don't find a great deal of difference between them.

After growing up in a household where there was always a piano around, I wanted to buy a piano keyboard that was suitable for my 3 year old toddler to have a go on (and not too expensive to be that upset if he hammered the heck out of it and caused it's demise), and also for me to get back into playing again. I think the NP 11 would suit beginners or children well as a first piano, and for my personal needs I think it fits the bill perfectly!
on 26 June 2012
I have played this a few times in the local music shop and would recommend it to anyone wanting to learn piano. Limited sounds but then it is supposed to be a small version of a digital piano not a keyboard. Very classy looking and for the price (£165 locally) this is well worth it.