• Pala

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 18 May 2017
My favourite album, it's stunning.
on 20 July 2011
What to say, where to start... the eighties influences are there, and if you close your eyes you can imagine snatches of Scritti Politi a la "cupid and psyche", level 42, Duran Duran even... but this recording has its own life and identity.
From the moment I slipped it into the player on its first spin right to the end I had a huge grin on my face. Just an amazing piece of music with beats and rhythms to really lose yourself in. For me the title track, and Blue Cassette and Hawaiian Air are the stand-outs.... but really there isn't a bad not all the way through.
Sit in the sun, open something cold and enjoy.
on 24 July 2015
One of my all time favourite albums, so getting a vinyl copy was a must. There's no bad song on here, and even though some of the tracks sound quite similar, it doesn't take anything away from such a good record. Love it.
on 20 May 2011
... and because I am no one to you this probably means nothing. But I think everyone gets an album like this maybe once a year (or twice if you're lucky). It is an absolute physical and mental joy to fall in love with the truly excellent music on Friendly Fires' second album. Just before I hit play for the first time I worried momentarily that they would not out do, or even level, with their first album but - what a watse of ten seconds. I was hooked with the first song from radio play, and then as I listened entranced to the second, third, fourth... album track I knew this was my album of the year. The rhythms and riffs automatically get your ass shaking like you're in the middle of a field surrounded by bright sunshine, loud music and other drunken dancing people. I honestly can't stop listening to it and truth be told I am in the debt of my wonderful boyfriend for putting this on pre-order and giving me the best musical surprise ever (unless he gets us big chill tickets...) Big love and enjoy y'all! Friendly fires forever!! Go shake that ass!!!
on 29 September 2013
i got this shortly after seeing friendly fires live. it's an excellent album, a bit more varied i found than their last one and overall just good. get it son.
on 31 May 2011
What an invigorating album this is. At a time when the same indie guitar-by-numbers sound is grating ad nauseum, and even the introduction of synths isn't producing any particularly special bands or albums, this comes along in even better shape than their first album.

'The sound of summer' is a cliche but it is truly apt for this collection of smart, funky songs. This takes me back to Level 42 in their prime, and I have unashamedly started wearing white socks again. And despite the other references, it is Level 42 that beats at the heart of this album, given a 21st century make over and emerging all shiny and new.

There isn't a duff track on here, absolutely no filler, but tracks like opener 'Live These Days Tonight' is the album's perfect calling card and 'Hawaiian Air' is so fresh and full of simple joie de vivre it is simply wonderful. In such a cynical 'been there done that' post-modern world, it is really up-lifting to hear a song about the excitement of a holiday in Hawaii with your girlfriend, without any arch irony or embarrassment. A simple, un-guilty pleasure.

'Blue Cassette,' a reflection on finding an old tape in the garden with an old girlfriends voice on it- we've all been there in some way or another, haven't we?- is another good example of how these great grooves are also lyrically little gems about real life and emotions.

Great stuff. If only more young bands were as adventurous [and clever] as this lot. Five star plus.
on 8 June 2011
They say dont judge a book by its cover but sometimes I can tell what sort of album a band release from looking at the cover.

I might be wrong but if its a dark cover full of black and grey then from my experience its a "Disintegration" or a "Closer", on the other hand if its bright colours then prepare to boogey down.

In this particular example I can honestly say I was spot on with Pala.

It is a bright bold and infectious album full of dancy beats, unforgetable choruses and big production.

Usually the second album is the toughest to do for any band but Friendly Fires went against the norm on Pala.

The six minute opener Live those Days tonight sets the tone with lovely beats and melodic keys splattered all over it

In addition, there's some dancefloor belters like Running away, Show me lights, Helpless and Pull me back to earth.

Then there is the gorgeous haunting title track which Tony Hadley and Spandau Ballet wish they wrote as their own ballad.

Listening to this album remind me a bit of Kajagoogoo & Spandau Ballet which is not a bad thing if you liked that type of music in the 80'S. TOTP on a Thursday night anyone.

Tough to make second album, not to Friendly Fires. A joy to listen to over and over again. Cheers.
on 12 April 2013
Thank you for this Great CD. Thoroughly enjoyed it and is always on my IPod. I love the drumming and the mood of the music.
on 16 May 2011
Friendly Fires made their debut in 2009 with their phenomenally beautiful album self-titled. It displayed a band up and coming and with their distinctful sounds of Samba/Dance/Retro Pop and Electronic Synth it was literally an album that defined the summer of that year and many many more to come!

Pala has really set them a brand new standard. Based on the fictional tale of a fictional paradise, this album really presents a luscious visual display with their music and vocals, this sense of this Amazonian paradise fuelled with colour and sweaty musk with a few ounces of glitter to match.

Pala is a sensational album not only due to it really delivering on all angles but also it really reflects the sounds of the 1980 Synth Pop....think Madonna meets Prince meets New Wave style massive anthemic top standard Pop tunes. And the rise of Dance/Club music across that decade. It is melancholic and blissful yet also experimental with its sounds.

There is also a distinctful 90s sound, the trip Hop vibe of Bjork, the Ray Of Light meets Music Electronica of Madonna, the massive Island music uprising across that decade, maybe some Primal Scream and Moby summery styles of sonics. And even Ed Macfarlane said himself some 90s Boy Band influences there too.

This is the sound that will define the year as a whole and possibly for the rest of the decade! It is so very Friendly Fires in delivery, you can dance and you can connect with each beat, bassline, unearthly vocal of Ed! It really is hauntingly beautiful.

Live Those Days Tonight has proved to be an up and coming summer anthem on the radio, empowering and defining. Hawaiian Air is magically something wonderful , Blue Cassette is so charming and yet subtly tragically lovely, Show Me Lights is an audio masterpiece in fusion and demands listening, the title track is their slowest Dance song yet but really is a display of unique beauty, Running Away you can really command the dance floor with, Pull Me Back To Earth is a wonderful anthemic style song and there is so much more the album has to give.

Of course Pala will demand many re-listens i mean i have owned the album in 24 hours and across that time i have had several spins already to process each song as there is such variation and beauty on Pala that really requires so much reinterpretating and enjoyment!

Pala, is the epitome of an audio feast, literally taking you into the trios adventures and displays, conceptually it is phenomenal!

the songs themselves -

Pull Me Back To Earth
Chimes
&
Helpless

Friendly Fires are by far my favourite band out there right now alongside The Naked & Famous (who i also recommend by the way!) and FF are all set headlining and performing at summer festivals this year and have already performed at Radio 1 Big Weekend the past weekend and really brought themselves to new attention....the mainstream market!

If you love to Dance, Indie, Rock, Trance, Synth, Unearthly Vocals, Retro.....Pala has it all!

Let Ed Macfarlane, Jack Savidge and Edd Gibson enchant you forever......welcome to PARADISE 2011.

10/10
on 7 June 2011
did not think that they could have topped their great first album, but they have! Would agree with a lot of what the other reviewers have said about the album. It has a feel good and familiar vibe (80's influences!), so much so that you will want to shake your booty! Have to say it is the best album I have heard in a while and all the tracks on the album are really good. Normally there are always one or two stinkers on an album or those songs that you just don't connect with. I waited as I listened to the album for the first time for the inevitable song(s) that I would be skipping through in the future, but they never came. I have found myself playing it constantly since I got it and still have not managed to skip a song, that in it's self says a lot to me about the album.

On the back of the album I have booked tickets for their November gig at the Brixton Academy, can't wait.

Go buy it if you like FF, you won't be disappointed. I highly recommend it.