• Pala

Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 18 May 2017
My favourite album, it's stunning.
on 31 May 2011
What an invigorating album this is. At a time when the same indie guitar-by-numbers sound is grating ad nauseum, and even the introduction of synths isn't producing any particularly special bands or albums, this comes along in even better shape than their first album.

'The sound of summer' is a cliche but it is truly apt for this collection of smart, funky songs. This takes me back to Level 42 in their prime, and I have unashamedly started wearing white socks again. And despite the other references, it is Level 42 that beats at the heart of this album, given a 21st century make over and emerging all shiny and new.

There isn't a duff track on here, absolutely no filler, but tracks like opener 'Live These Days Tonight' is the album's perfect calling card and 'Hawaiian Air' is so fresh and full of simple joie de vivre it is simply wonderful. In such a cynical 'been there done that' post-modern world, it is really up-lifting to hear a song about the excitement of a holiday in Hawaii with your girlfriend, without any arch irony or embarrassment. A simple, un-guilty pleasure.

'Blue Cassette,' a reflection on finding an old tape in the garden with an old girlfriends voice on it- we've all been there in some way or another, haven't we?- is another good example of how these great grooves are also lyrically little gems about real life and emotions.

Great stuff. If only more young bands were as adventurous [and clever] as this lot. Five star plus.
on 20 July 2011
What to say, where to start... the eighties influences are there, and if you close your eyes you can imagine snatches of Scritti Politi a la "cupid and psyche", level 42, Duran Duran even... but this recording has its own life and identity.
From the moment I slipped it into the player on its first spin right to the end I had a huge grin on my face. Just an amazing piece of music with beats and rhythms to really lose yourself in. For me the title track, and Blue Cassette and Hawaiian Air are the stand-outs.... but really there isn't a bad not all the way through.
Sit in the sun, open something cold and enjoy.
on 24 July 2015
One of my all time favourite albums, so getting a vinyl copy was a must. There's no bad song on here, and even though some of the tracks sound quite similar, it doesn't take anything away from such a good record. Love it.
on 20 May 2011
... and because I am no one to you this probably means nothing. But I think everyone gets an album like this maybe once a year (or twice if you're lucky). It is an absolute physical and mental joy to fall in love with the truly excellent music on Friendly Fires' second album. Just before I hit play for the first time I worried momentarily that they would not out do, or even level, with their first album but - what a watse of ten seconds. I was hooked with the first song from radio play, and then as I listened entranced to the second, third, fourth... album track I knew this was my album of the year. The rhythms and riffs automatically get your ass shaking like you're in the middle of a field surrounded by bright sunshine, loud music and other drunken dancing people. I honestly can't stop listening to it and truth be told I am in the debt of my wonderful boyfriend for putting this on pre-order and giving me the best musical surprise ever (unless he gets us big chill tickets...) Big love and enjoy y'all! Friendly fires forever!! Go shake that ass!!!
on 22 January 2012
I bought this as a Christmas present for my 23 year old daughter who had only heard one track off it, Blue Cassette, but loved it. She now plays it all the time and says it's the best cd she has had for ages.
on 29 September 2013
i got this shortly after seeing friendly fires live. it's an excellent album, a bit more varied i found than their last one and overall just good. get it son.
on 10 July 2012
After really enjoying their first album, this was a disappointment with not a memorable song on it. The best part of the CD is the striking picture on the front of the CD case, which is ashame, as their first album was so promising.
on 8 June 2011
They say dont judge a book by its cover but sometimes I can tell what sort of album a band release from looking at the cover.

I might be wrong but if its a dark cover full of black and grey then from my experience its a "Disintegration" or a "Closer", on the other hand if its bright colours then prepare to boogey down.

In this particular example I can honestly say I was spot on with Pala.

It is a bright bold and infectious album full of dancy beats, unforgetable choruses and big production.

Usually the second album is the toughest to do for any band but Friendly Fires went against the norm on Pala.

The six minute opener Live those Days tonight sets the tone with lovely beats and melodic keys splattered all over it

In addition, there's some dancefloor belters like Running away, Show me lights, Helpless and Pull me back to earth.

Then there is the gorgeous haunting title track which Tony Hadley and Spandau Ballet wish they wrote as their own ballad.

Listening to this album remind me a bit of Kajagoogoo & Spandau Ballet which is not a bad thing if you liked that type of music in the 80'S. TOTP on a Thursday night anyone.

Tough to make second album, not to Friendly Fires. A joy to listen to over and over again. Cheers.
on 12 April 2013
Thank you for this Great CD. Thoroughly enjoyed it and is always on my IPod. I love the drumming and the mood of the music.