Customer reviews

Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.99

VINE VOICEon 19 March 2011
I have to admit that last time out, JB had, maybe, just lost a bit of direction, but then that was possibly more down to the location where he recorded Black Rock....."never trust Greek's bearing gifts", I believe is the expression....however, it was not a bad album, just not one of his best.
So, what do we have here in the form of Dust Bowl...."a veritable gem", I believe is the expression - a real return to form.
Kicking off with Slow Train, we hear a "train" gathering momentum until Joe cuts over the top with his trademark guitar and vocals on a slice of mid-paced blues which cuts to the haunting title track that many of us had been presented with as a taster to the album by Planet Rock, and I have to admit that the album version is even more attention grabbing than the radio play with more reverb giving the haunting impression of the desolation of a true dust bowl.
Tennessee Plates cuts a country pose with John Hiatt sharing the vocals before the shining glory of The Meaning Of The Blues gives us searing JB guitar in great dollops....this is what the punters want, and the vocals come back out of the higher reaches, which it has to be said, is where JB's vocals sit much better.
Black Lung Heartache still runs the vestiges of Black Rock and therefore is possibly the weakest track resultant, but you rapidly forget this as you are swallowed up by the rest of the album with The Last Matador Of Bayonne, No Love On The Street and Prisoner all ably demonstrating why this iconic bluesman is going to be pushing the blues envelope for many years to come.
And, a mention has to be made of the great packaging that this Limited Edition comes in. The tale of JB's roots cuts an interesting bit of history along with junior JB photos makes for a brilliant product experience....well, what more could you want?
Do you really need me to tell you more? Just do yourself a big favour and buy Dust Bowl, you will not regret it!
on 26 March 2014
This is my first album by Joe Bonamassa,and what a great album it is,I first heard the track Dust Bowl on the radio and I said I must get this album,every track is good if you like Blues & Rock,anyway Joe really knows how to play his guitars, it's well worth 5 stars,so enjoy it!.
[ROCK/BLUES]
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 18 March 2011
I pre-ordered this a while ago. Not sure why it has turned up a few days ahead of the alleged release date, but very pleased that it has.

I have been a Joe fan for quite a while now, and I just love all of his work - up until I bought Black Rock that is. I don't know what it is about that album, it is just... weird. I don't like it. I was worried.

But I was blown away by Black Country Communion, and so I have been eagerly awaiting his next solo effort. Here it is. Joe is back. This is spine tingling blues, I love it. Never mind all the "if you like this artist or that artist" recommendations - if you like Joe Bonamassa, you will like this :-)

The book accompanying this deluxe edition looks interesting, but I am going to need some new reading glasses, its weird font in brown on brown is not the most legible thing I've ever seen. But I didn't buy this to read the book.

Buy it, you will love it. Can't give a "best track" yet, I need a few listens first... track 4 Meaning of the Blues is a contender so far though!

UPDATE: After several plays, I am slightly reluctant to give a best track, because they are all worthy, there is not one duff track on here, a truly brilliant album and a real return to top form after Black Rock. But if I was popping to the shops and this was in the car and I only had time for one track, it would be number 9, No Love On The Street. It's just GLORIOUS. I'll say it again - BUY THIS, you will not be disappointed.

ANOTHER UPDATE: Just figured why I like track 9 so much - it is very similar to another fave of mine, Sloe Gin - and I now realise that is because it is another old Tim Curry song, also written by Michael Kamen. It's got the same sirens in it, might even be the same sample! Whatever - love it.

YET ANOTHER UPDATE: I knew I knew the name Michael Kamen from somewhere in the deep recesses of my brain other than just for Sloe Gin (forgive me, I'm a bit slow sometimes!), and having just recently re-watched the original series of Edge Of Darkness on DVD, it has finally hit me - he co-wrote the brilliant music for that landmark series with Eric Clapton. He has also written many other huge film scores - check him out.
44 Comments| 67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 March 2017
Just brilliant, Joe at his best.
on 26 April 2017
Ever so nice LP.
on 28 May 2017
Love this album only recently heard of this artist
on 5 June 2017
Joe at his best
on 20 February 2015
Classic Joe, love it.
on 19 March 2011
The first thing I noticed in Bonamassa's introductory notes to this album was that it was again recorded in the Black Rock studios in Greece. Not being a fan of the muddy sound of the Black Rock album, this didn't bode too well. I shouldn't have worried...

To get straight to the point, Dustbowl is the best and most complete album from Joe since Sloe Gin. I've found the albums since then to be patchy, albeit worthy, as he stretches himself musically and stylistically into areas of music outside of blues and rock. The world music experiments of Black Rock were interesting but not outstanding while the Jeff Beck-style fusions of John Henry were a little too close to the man himself for my liking. Dustbowl is a perfect combination of slow blues, up-tempo rockers and foot-tapping rockabilly ('Tennesee Plates').

His singing on this album is the best yet and along with the awesome guitar playing adds an extra dimension to tracks like 'The Last Matador of Bayonne'. Glenn Hughes duets on 'Heartbreaker', a better track than anything on the disappointing Black Country Communion album, and vocal honours end up even which just proves Hughes needs Joe far more than vice versa.

The limited edition deluxe version of this album contains a biography of Joe's career so far, which is an interesting read but the only reason to buy this album is the music. I tend to dip into the last 2 or 3 albums and play odd tracks but each time I've played this in the last few days it's been from beginning to end. Yes, it's that good.
on 20 March 2011
Yet another "goodie" from Mr.Bonamassa. From the first chords chug,chug,chug of SLOW TRAIN all the way through this is a blues/rock gem. Personally one minor critism I personally prefer the John Hiatt original (Tennessee Plates), but that apart, excellent. Being a big fan of Free prior to lisening to the "Heartbreaker" track I didn't know if I would like it, but Joe's collaberation with Glenn Hughes on this song is a barnstormer. If you're into JB then you'll probably purchase it anyway, (if in doubt, get it). If on the other hand you're new to the name, treat yourself and hopefully you'll LOVE IT.