Chopin: The Nocturnes
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 23 February 2014
Maria Joao Pires has a great reputation playing Chopin and this recording of all 21 of his Nocturnes shows us why. Her refined and sparkling technique really brings out the detail in all these Nocturnes and got me to appreciate ones I didn't know so well. I have already heard her live in Glasgow playing Chopin's two Piano Concertos and was quite taken with her beautiful playing. As well as purchasing recordings of those Piano Concertos I just had to get the Nocturnes too. I would recommend you do the same.
on 21 February 2018
A real pleasure to own this recording.
on 30 September 2017
Pires' version of the nocturnes is unsurpassed in my view. Exquisitely beautiful.
on 29 May 2016
Beautiful rendering of all 26 pieces by an expressive artist
on 18 April 2015
excellent selection of pieces, beautifully played.
on 29 December 2015
Fine performance
on 5 February 2011
Having read the other reviews, I see that these performances are controversial. I find myself firmly on the "pro" side. Chopin has never been a favourite composer of mine, but these interpretations of the Nocturnes have done what those of Ashkenazy, Argerich, Vasary and Pizarro (good though they all are) have not: convinced me of the greatness of Chopin. In her hands he is up there with Beethoven, Brahms, Mozart and Schubert.

There is something about her interpretations that just convinces me at least that her view of this music is right. And if you don't know them listen to some of her Mozart, Bach or Schumann recordings, or the Brahms violin sonatas with Augustin Dumay. (I don't enthuse about her Schubert, so don't think I'm an uncritical worshipper.)

DG's recording is, as usual, first-class, and if you want to demonstrate your hi-fi, you may choose to use one of these CDs.
on 25 May 2012
Pires plays Chopin's 21 Nocturnes most beautifully. She brings out the languid feeling of the pieces. The light and shade of the nuance are expressed very well.

She uses rubato judiciously and effectively. When rubato is done with genuine artistry - as in the case of Pires - the effect shows an admirable sense of freedom and spontaneity.

I have always liked Rubinstein's recordings made in the mid-1960s (in his late years). But, he plays only 19 pieces, missing out the two last pieces published posthumously. Pires plays them - particularly No.20 in C sharp minor - beautifully.

The digital recording, made in the mid-1990s, is warm and most realistic. This 2-CD set is highly recommendable.
on 8 October 2013
Brilliant pianist playing my favourite music. How anyone can play with such mastery is beyond me. I intend
To buy more of her work in future.
on 30 October 2013
Maria Joao Pires' interpretations of piano music by Chopin and Schubert are among the most integrated and emotionally charged I have heard in my life.