Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop now Learn more Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Pre-order now Shop Men's Shop Women's

on 14 August 2010
Very clearly written and extremely well laid out. Lots of good ideas to improve your memory and goes out of its way to dispel popular claims and myths about memory. Refreshingly better than the average books on this subject. Recommended.
on 26 September 2011
I had some great hopes for this book, but now I wish I didn't buy it. I guess the fact that the author is a neuroscientist particularly lured me in, but I'm afraid I'm not impressed at all. If you're looking for a book with specific methods and tips to increase your memory past the obvious "get rest and exercise!" then I would recommend you keep looking.

Each Brilliant Idea gets its own chapter, and each chapter follows the same rigorous recipe. This could perhaps have worked if the chapters were longer and more thorough, and if the recipe perfectly fit each topic, but I find myself quite annoyed when I read the book as after reading for a few paragraphs I'm suddenly confronted with a "Here's an idea for you.." part which can sometimes be as long as a sizeable chunk of the chapter, a "Defining idea" which is a quote by someone famous related to the topic, and an occasionally extremely patronising "How did it go?"-Q&A. Sometimes the Brilliant Idea is something which doesn't fit into the formula at all, such as a chapter on why you shouldn't try memory enhancing drugs, but the formula is still used.

I would recommend this book if you're wanting a very light introduction to how memory works and perhaps some short pointers into where you can go if you wish to take your search for good memory techniques further, but if you're here and already in that search for concrete memory techniques then this is not a value for money. The techniques are a minority of the Brilliiant Ideas and the short and rigorous chapters do not allow for any thorough elaboration on them.
on 8 September 2011
When I downloaded this book I thought it would be full of clever ideas to help me remember long lists of items, dates, telephone numbers etc.

Well, part of the book does just that, but it also goes much deeper into the subject of memory. It explains why we remember some things and not others, how we remember, sleep, positive thinking, rhythm, old age, the 80/20 rule and smells (!) to name just a few of the areas covered.

Various methods are also discussed to help you learn all sorts of things including lists, telephone numbers, passwords and even foreign languages. There's also a few party tricks to impress your friends.

There's something in here for everyone who wants to improve their memory or wants some practical advice in specific situations such as studying for an exam or making a presentation.

Highly recommended.
on 17 February 2014
Bite sized chunks of all the relevant information pertinent to what memory is and how to improve it from a wide variety of different perspectives. Concise, comprehensive and, most importantly, "it does exactly what it says on the tin" ;-)
on 8 January 2014
Now, you see, I read this one maybe a year ago and to be honest, I quite enjoyed it; the only problem is that I've forgotten absolutely everything about it. In a nutshell therefore, it really doesn't do what it says on the tin.
on 1 October 2011
The thing with all these books that promise to change your life is not to expect too much. This isn't going to make you into someone with 100% perfect recall but it will give you some ideas about how to set about remembering things mainly based on visualisation techniques but also aids such as acronyms. It covers all sorts of things like remembering lists and people's names through to how to set about learning languages. It covers a greater span of things than I expected even going into what it calls 'Dream memory projects' and ending with chapters on 'Memory party tricks' and 'How to pass exams.' For me the problem is when you've read the book how do you remember all the things it's told you to do?
on 19 November 2011
a page turner and with plenty of exercises to improve your memory. it's also very interesting and written and a very clear concise English, making all the theory and boring stuff a lot more readable.
on 11 January 2014
I have the skills to memorize 1000 numbers in a row. This book is about number 99 out 100 in the memory books I've read (as far as I can remember)
on 23 May 2013
You will find this an interesting read.
And for free who can complain?
Add it to your library for those few spare moments.
on 22 August 2014
I have read many memory books but this one I found boring. Save your money and by a book by Tony Buzan or Dominic O'Brien.