Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change
Price:£7.95+ £1.26 shipping

on 5 September 2016
I saw this British-Japanese prisoner of war 'drama' film when it was first released in 1993. Written by Oshima with Paul Mayersberg based on Sir Laurens van der Post's experiences as a Japanese prisoner of war during World War II as depicted in his works The Seed and the Sower (1963) and The Night of the New Moon (1970). Not my usual kind of film but I was drawn to it because of the actors David Bowie, Tom Conti, Ryuichi Sakamoto, Takeshi Kitano and Jack Thompson. Ryuichi Sakamoto, (a rather beautiful young Japanese man) wrote and composed the score and the vocal theme "Forbidden Colours", featuring David Sylvian (from the Pop group Japan) as well as writing the score for The Last Emperor, Little Buddha and more). The music has stayed with me for years so decided to purchase the blue ray version to sit and watch again, However re watching some 23 years later this had much less of an impact on me than I had remembered. At the time the film was released the homoerotic relationship between Celliers (Bowie) and Yonoi (Sakamoto) was somewhat sensationalised, but by todays standards it's barely noticable and it was (I hate to say) a little slow, and I doubt I'll watch it again to be honest. 3 stars for the film, but a definite 5 stars for the music.
on 18 February 2014
At last!, me and my partner have been looking for this film everywhere that is on DVD or Blu-ray format piror to The David Bowie Exhibition (Fab Exhibition!), we found it on an internet website that had it on VHS format and was going for an extremely high price so I was delighted to find out that it is on Blu-ray format as now we have a blu-ray player and the film has had a remastered and retouched up plus the extras on the blu-ray have been great to watch (Did I say that my partner is a big David Bowie fan?) anyway this is a must for all David Bowie fans and those who like the classics!
on 28 April 2017
Excellent film and very well acted by Bowie, Conti and Sakamoto. I am a huge fan of Bowie and this shows his versatility and the fact that although he was probably the greatest music icon ever he could also act really well- a very sad film and well adapted from the original book "The Seed and the sower". The film was made in 1983 and is not dated - the star of the film for me was Beat Takeshi and the main characters explore the juxtaposition between East and west and the difference in values, philosophy and morals effectively. Well worth watching and the music is great too.
on 16 July 2017
fantastic film i love it , and great communication from seller , thank you 5*****
on 20 June 2017
A very good film with a good performance as you would expect from Bowie .
on 22 June 2017
Timeless
on 24 August 2017
loved this film, especially the solo's
on 20 March 2017
Brilliant film, quick delivery service
on 15 March 2017
Great product fast delivery
on 14 April 2017
Think it has been cut, various points certainly unexplained or skipped over.