on 2 December 2014
I have had a much happier and more enjoyable relationship with my daughter (only child) since beginning to read this book and at time of writing I am only half way through. Reading Positive Discipline helps you and your kid/s to feel as though you are 'on the same side' and as though you are improving together rather than having to have power struggles all the time with one of you coming out the 'winner'.

The shortest message of the book is to 'empower rather than discourage'... And I would have thought that I could have worked that out for myself and implemented it on a daily basis.... but this book points out inevitable parental weaknesses and has helped me to enable and reinforce the "empower, don't discourage" approach ten fold. Most of all I want our child to have good self-esteem and problem-solving capabilities, and this book will help us to give her those qualities.

I am not a regular book reviewer but I thought this book was worth the effort as I am certain most families will benefit from reading it. I only give it four stars rather than five as - here and there - there are just a few things I don't entirely agree with but for the most part it's brilliant.
14 people found this helpful
on 7 May 2014
I have read many books - I have a child with special needs, but this book made so much sense and I thought it was simple brilliant. A must for every parent to read. It turns some things that you have learnt on its head, and it will answer other questions that you couldn't before. Great book - highly recommend you buy it.
8 people found this helpful
on 24 September 2013
Can a book help us love our children more? I think so.
The ideas are similar to other best sellers: How To Parent and How To Talk So Kids Will Listen; it's just another way of illustrating those ideas: helping children to become independent and self-confident; being firm and kind, and most of all, being respectful.
6 people found this helpful
on 5 August 2014
Best parenting book I've read so far. Wish I had read it or the earlier ages books when my now six year old was pushing all my buttons. I could relate to something on nearly every page and it made me recognise my own behaviour in the cycle of tantrums. It was a revelation to consider that time outs didn't have to be in a room without toys but in fact talking to a child when they have calmed down in their own safe place was far more effective.
4 people found this helpful
on 5 December 2017
I heard to audible version while taking a positive discipline course and it made a huge difference!
on 12 June 2018
Brilliant book. Every parent should have one :)
on 13 February 2018
I gave it to my son who is new parent
on 24 May 2015
I like the positive approach to disciplin and it's proved to work. I was very punitive and realised the negativity didn't work but a child responds different to positive discipline taking their own initiative to listen.
on 18 December 2016
Exceptional, life enhancing book. Can be reread again and again. Using the simple techniques and insights has enriched my parenting experience and brought me closer to my children. Helped me decode and understand the 'hidden messages' of misbehaviour. I would give a copy to every parent in the world.
on 29 December 2014
Very useful information, different perspective from most other books of this type. Very impressed & has helped me deal with my attention to my responses with my ADD teenager son & understand his behaviours better.Highly recommend this book.