on 2 December 2014
I have had a much happier and more enjoyable relationship with my daughter (only child) since beginning to read this book and at time of writing I am only half way through. Reading Positive Discipline helps you and your kid/s to feel as though you are 'on the same side' and as though you are improving together rather than having to have power struggles all the time with one of you coming out the 'winner'.

The shortest message of the book is to 'empower rather than discourage'... And I would have thought that I could have worked that out for myself and implemented it on a daily basis.... but this book points out inevitable parental weaknesses and has helped me to enable and reinforce the "empower, don't discourage" approach ten fold. Most of all I want our child to have good self-esteem and problem-solving capabilities, and this book will help us to give her those qualities.

I am not a regular book reviewer but I thought this book was worth the effort as I am certain most families will benefit from reading it. I only give it four stars rather than five as - here and there - there are just a few things I don't entirely agree with but for the most part it's brilliant.
on 7 May 2014
I have read many books - I have a child with special needs, but this book made so much sense and I thought it was simple brilliant. A must for every parent to read. It turns some things that you have learnt on its head, and it will answer other questions that you couldn't before. Great book - highly recommend you buy it.
on 24 September 2013
Can a book help us love our children more? I think so.
The ideas are similar to other best sellers: How To Parent and How To Talk So Kids Will Listen; it's just another way of illustrating those ideas: helping children to become independent and self-confident; being firm and kind, and most of all, being respectful.
on 5 August 2014
Best parenting book I've read so far. Wish I had read it or the earlier ages books when my now six year old was pushing all my buttons. I could relate to something on nearly every page and it made me recognise my own behaviour in the cycle of tantrums. It was a revelation to consider that time outs didn't have to be in a room without toys but in fact talking to a child when they have calmed down in their own safe place was far more effective.
on 16 January 2014
A very informative, powerful, thought provoking read.. trying to rethink and change entrenched ideads with regards to teaching children valuable lessons for life.
on 16 August 2015
I found this book brilliant in helping me understand my childrens behaviour. It provided clear advice on how to recognise the reasons behind a child's behaviour and offered a variety of techniques to help improve behaviour. We have seen an improvement in our children's behaviour after adopting some of these techniques and it's a good feeling to find other ways to manage behaviour when old ways don't seem to work in the long term. Our older children (aged 7 and 6) feel better understood and able to discuss with us more about their problems as a result. The guidance on family meetings has been very helpful also and our children look forward to this each week.
on 12 October 1999
This book is well worth finding. It sets out clearly how to bring up children with warmth and compassion. It helps you break the cycle of "pain, shame and blame". Parents and children will end up happier. The really positive part is the description of "Best Things/Worst Things" to go through with your child at bedtime. All kinds of funny, sad and important issues get to be discussed where before they probably wouldn't have been. The Family Conferences I wasn't so sure about. But generally this book is excellent.
on 9 May 2011
Quite simply one of the best books on bringing up children I have ever read. As soon as you start implementing the ideas in this book they work.
on 25 March 2013
This book explains very well and with practical steps how to raise a child - in positive and ecouraging way - to be respectful, kind, willing to find solutions for problems. It's easy to read and the methods described in it are effective in practice.
on 9 January 2013
Practical and intuitive, I have found the strategies in this book highly effective. It gets to the heart of what motivates children - intrinsically - and helps you to bring it out of them. I'm astonished at how well it's worked on my children - they now do everything I've ever wanted them to do without me having to "ask a hundred thousand times". I haven't had my usual power struggles with my extremely strong willed daughter and my usually very reliant son is now doing everything all by his big self! If you want to bring up children to be happy, confident and self-reliant individuals (and feel very proud of yourself in the process), this is the book to read. Highly recommended.