on 28 October 2011
I have the Kindle edition and would read it on the commute to work. It is easy to read and well laid out.

A few comments on what OneNote does. In simple terms it is an electronic notebook. In other words, instead of taking notes on paper, you take it on your computer. Some of the benefits are that you can always create more space (insert rows, move things around, etc), put your notes into sections, use the search engine to find items, etc. For example, you may have 5 different conference calls in a day and you can immediately categorize the five calls into different sections and simply add to those sections the next time you have a call on that topic. You can also create tags to follow up on items and add to your current notes. Naturally, this applies to course work if you are studying. Outside of work, you can use it to prepare for a holiday. You can just copy things from a website and OneNote will keep the link. Examples, are hotels, restaurants, sites to see and flights. You can bring it all into one place and simply add each day. You would then have everything in one spot for when you wanted to plan / make final decisions regarding your trip. Finally, it links in with Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, etc so that you can bring those items into OneNote.

You do get access to the videos even if you buy the Kindle edition. I state this because I read a U.S. comment that complained that one could not get access to the videos if one did not have the paper edition. The Kindle does not come with a code but you go to the site and you only need to enter the ISDN code which you can find in the book description on the Amazon page where you buy it (i.e. where you are reading my review). I found the videos really easy to watch and quite helpful. On average, I would say they are 4 to 8 minutes long. You see his screen and he just clicks on the buttons and explains what he is doing. The videos are all indexed so you can choose which ones you want watch. In fact, you may find the videos enough and not even bother reading the book.

I read this book before ever using OneNote and the book has introduced me to a great piece of software that, to be honest, I had never even heard of (I am heavy user of Outlook, Excel and Word). I consider that this is a good investment if anybody wants to move to an electronic notebook. The benefits are primarily the ability to keep everything in one spot, move things around and search quickly for items. My work is project based and I work on a lot of different projects. OneNote allows one to easily keep notes for each project and then search them later. This is a great plus when compared to old paper notebooks that are heavy to carry around and one cannot easily find things. If you like writing notes, then you may consider an electronic pen that would transfer your hand written notes to OneNote and you could then categorize them in OneNote.
on 12 August 2012
This publisher's books are designed to be used with on line resources yet it is impossible to access them even after following the publisher's covoluted and incomprehensible instructions - a rip off!!
on 6 January 2014
I use OneNote on a regular basis as a tool for my studies and find it a brilliant addition to my armoury of memory jogging tools. I was OK with OneNote but wanted to do more with it so I requested this book as a Christmas present. It explains in great and simple steps and language how to access and use the many functions that come with the programme. I still use the book as a reference when wanting to do something differently. Following this tutorial made adding sound and video files as well as the bog standard copy and paste functions easy to do. Would recommend this book to anyone who wants to expand their working knowledge of OneNote.
on 10 October 2011
Production of this book was rescheduled several times, but in the end it was worth waiting for. It is clear, thorough, sequential and has a good index, while the videos are a great help. Have read it right to the end, but will use the videos to refresh my memory. Excellent, thank you.
on 29 October 2011
At last a comprehensive detailed guide to the latest version (2010) of Onenote. I would have given it five stars if it had talked in some detail about the range of applications that people use it for and where relevant templates could be found. Maybe the next edition?
on 1 June 2014
I fell across OneNote as it came with my version of MS Office. The program is a real (and unknown) gem. I used it to manage my house move, and it certainly was great having everything (from any source, and of any type) in one place. The book is adequate to get you working effectively.
on 25 January 2012
I am converted to OneNote and I believe this software has the power to revolutionize the way we use our PC. The book is also very complete, there is no question about it.
But this book is simply a glorified instruction manual. The author seems to believe that the readers have no idea about Windows, how to cut and paste, how to use right click contextual menus, how to close popup windows, and so on. Here are a few excerpts which are repeated "ad nauseum" across the book:
- "Copying a page will leave it in its original location, but also place an exact duplicate of it in the location you chose... Moving a page rips it out of its present location and places the original page in the new location you specify".
- "If the option is currently disabled and the box is checked, you can re-enable this functionality by clicking to de-select this box again".
This book includes thousands of sentences which pedantically explain the obvious, to the point that I must waste my time for browsing for the few useful explanations of the OneNote features and technical tips: the book includes a few of them, but they are hidden under pages of platitudes.
There is no leading project, very few practical examples, illustrations are limited to menu commands. This book has no imagination, it is simply a glorified user manual. To the recycling bin!