on 4 July 2012
This book is a real breath of fresh air, written by an unpretentious and self-deprecating Englishman. The difference between this book and most other "improve your life" tomes is that Peter Jones explains the practicalities of how to change your life, starting with the first (simple but radical) step: you need a diary! Then, you need to schedule happiness-creating things into the diary. And you need to make sure the things you schedule will really make you happy. The challenges of all this are fully discussed - while most of us have a diary, we rarely make a full record of our commitments (doing so is eye-opening and a little overwhelming, but you have to know what you're up against), and we rarely schedule in time for ourselves.

Peter Jones also breaks with tradition by suggesting that the first special thing you put in your diary is a day of zero commitments: a so-called "Boxing Day". He understands the misery we create by flogging ourselves, and how we become detached from our own instincts and desires, so encourages a "letting go" before starting to schedule in more active things - the things we've always longed to do, and the goals we long to achieve. Goals actually come last in this book! It's great to read a self-help book that is fully in touch with reality.
on 10 March 2011
I normally pooh-pooh this kind of thing as new age mumbo jumbo, but this is a book that's perfect for anyone living a normal ordinary life who wants to make the most of every day. From the very first suggestion - Boxing Day, a day every month when you do whatever you want - through to setting goals and actually finding the time to achieve them, this book is full of ideas that you will really want to do, rather than airy fairy concepts that you know will never make it off the pages of the book. Possibly the best part of book is the last section, where there's a summary of all the concepts the book throws up, along with easy checklists that help you put the concepts into action - because thinking positive is all well and good but it's actually doing stuff that makes happiness, well, happen!

Since reading the book I've already made a Now List and a Goals List and have started saving stuff for my Trophy Board ... and it's already made me happier!

Peter Jones writes in a lovely conversation style so he quickly feels like a friend, or perhaps that bloke down the pub or the gym who
knows what he's talking about.

I'd definitely recommend this book to anyone who wants to get more out of life but doesn't think reading The Secret is the way it's going to happen ... this is real life ideas for real life happiness.
on 11 November 2013
I bought this book after reading How to Eat Loads and Stay Slim by Peter and Della, it was a no-brainer for me as I really like Peter's work. He tells me what I need to hear in just the precise way I need to hear it.

I am a self-confessed, self help junkie and as an holistic therapist it goes with the territory, but Peter has found a unique way to make self-help fun!

I started a blog on new years eve about working through my resolution list, I really wish I'd read this book back then as Peter's tips and insight would have helped me greatly, however, there's another new year on the horizon and I'm ready to tackle it head on - bring on the goals and the wish list, that's what I say!

If you want a really good read, to learn lots and be happy then buy this book today.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 26 August 2012
Firstly I must confess I like 'self help' books so was pre-disposed to like this and it was free on kindle. The first part of the book is good and gets people thinking about how to organise their time, keep a diary and schedule things in it they want to do, as well as all the usual commitments. I already keep a diary but found some of Peter's tips were useful. I also created a 'now' list (experiences you'd like to do and even tackled a 'Boxing Day' which was a big deal for a planner like me.

Where the book is let down is in two areas. Peter doesn't suggest how you can accomdate one off 'must dos' like paint the bedroom and clear out the shed, because the diary is full of regular duties. For me, these are the jobs I feel obliged to do on my days off so this interfered with Boxing Days and planning for my 'now' experiences. I also struggled with the part of the book about goal setting which I felt was thin and at one point, referred you to another book (not by the author). I appreciate Peter didn't want to re-invent the wheel but his approach to organising time was unique and interesting, so why give up on the goal setting part? Worth reading for a kindle price and I would recommend to people.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 9 August 2012
This was such a great buy! I did think it was Peter Jones from Dragons Den but was pleased to find out it wasnt! The advise is so easy and sensible, really easy to follow and incorporate in your every day life. It really made me think about things I really wanted and things that I thought I wanted. The way its written is easy to follow, easy to read and by the end of the book I felt as though Peter was my mate and wrote the book especially for me! Would definitely recommend this book for people who want a little bit of help or direction in how to manage their days a bit better right through to if you want to make a massive life changes. If you think this book wont help, think again as there will be something in here that you will find useful. Even if you think your organised and efficient I think this book will still help you.... right off to find a singing teacher ; )
on 17 February 2013
I've bought quite a lot of self help books over the years, partly as I'm interested in this genre and also in the hope that they might make me more organised, productive, happier and fulfilled. Most of them I have to say are unfinished. I always start them but something always stops me from finishing them. This has not been the case with this book. I have just finished it and not only do I feel more motivated and organised (and yes, happier with myself), I know I am!
This is a very easy and fun to read book. Peters humour is obvious throughout the book and this is one aspect that makes it enjoyable to read.
It's easy to follow, is full of really great, sensible and practical suggestions. In fairness most of the ideas and suggestions are things I've read about, heard about or thought about before in some form, but like most who will be reading this, those ideas are still very vague and had not yet been put into practice. This book really helps you to translate those ideas into practical solutions, with some interesting and quirky new twists.
There's a great website and Facebook page to accompany the book so the process is an ongoing one (if you want it to be).
I have no hesitation in recommending this book.
on 3 January 2013
Out of all the self help books I've read over the past umpteen years, this book actually works.

The style of writing is very amiable and the author does not pretend to know everything, or have experienced everything, but what he has done is to distill the essence of what it takes to get control of your life.

Maybe it was the fact that this is written by an Englishman rather than a Yank (sorry if that bit offends, but my point is still valid), that is the reason it resonates with me so much...it just seems so more tangible because it acknowledges our culture.

It is also what it says - a step by step guide...do this, do that and all will be good...and I have to say, that's what I've done and it is working for me :-)
on 2 July 2012
This is a great book. It contains helpful methods to make you live a happier and more fulfilling life. The tone of the book is chatty, as if it is your best friend sat next to you giving advice. I found the diary part and the setting of goals very useful. The now list and wish list I am now implementing. What truly stands out with this book is that whilst chronological in your development it also takes time out to advise if something has gone wrong. It doesn't steam roller on to the end leaving those behind that maybe haven't achieved a goal or stage of the process. Peter dusts you down in a non-judgemental fashion and then continues his journey with you.
on 8 August 2012
I am not normally into 'inspirational books' and must admit I fell into this one by accident as I was searching for a book by the other Peter Jones (the iconic businessman from Dragon's Den). However I liked what I read in the sample downloaded to my Kindle and decided to buy the full book. I am so glad I did, the ideas and plans put forward by Peter Jones are fantastic and some are so simple to do - simple that is if you had ever thought of them yourself which you wouldn't have done! Within a few chapters I had set up my personal diary electronically, made to do lists and set goals that I wanted to achieve. Yes I know we have all done this before and then promptly ignored or forgotten them. However the style of Peter Jones's writing is so fluid and down to earth, it is like he is actually sitting down with you having a conversation. Peter's suggestions and comments make you see all the ideas and plans in a different light. Yes I have an electronically diary for business meetings etc but the new personal diary I now have contains so much more personal information and the goals list has already inspired me to move my career into a possible different direction, which may also mean living in a different part of the country and out of the rut that I had fallen into.
So I fully recommend this book to everyone and am sure that all will gain something from it to enhance their own life, whether they ae looking for inspiration or just want a very good read. Go for it, what have you got to lose and everything to gain.
I will certainly be looking at other books etc by this Peter Jones!
on 13 May 2012
Like other reviewer I really can't remember why I downloaded this book but it was the best thing I've done in a very long time. Others have explained the book, I just want to say that if you want to enjoy your life more but have no idea where to start buy this book NOW. Download a sample and you won't look back. No matter how busy or stressed you are he makes you find a few minutes in your life each week to focus on YOU and gradually you come to realise how important YOU are. He writes in a witty and comforting style that makes you chuckle and you will enjoy the journey - I have recommended this book to several people who have also had their lives enhanced by it - thank you Peter.