Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£1.99

on 8 September 2011
Oh dear. Not helped by very poor digital formatting, but a thought provoking and interesting idea was let down by cliched narrative and simplistic plotting. First real low cost kindle book that I have bought that has matched the price in terms of quality of writing, so can't complain that much. More disappointed than anything else as the ideas contained in the book could have been developed to make the reader really think about the underlying themes.
on 26 August 2015
Echoing some other reviews, the subject is obviously highly intriguing, but the dialogue and characterisation strains all credibility : particularly any members of British Military personnel, who would probably put this book down after their first quote. It's as if Nigel Farage wrote it, after a very good meal with lots of wine! There were times I wondered whether it was a parody of MacLean, or Clancy, but it isn't. That said, Jack does a very good job of tracking each politician's response to a growing crisis, especially when viewed from several very different points of view. That was wholly believable, and the tension was very well built. Good analysis of different behaviour in England, Scotland and N.I. as well

Last chapter sadly illustrates all the worst points of this book, not the best : crucially though, it is actually a real page-turner! {partly because you very rarely read dialogue as bad as this,,,)
on 16 April 2013
If you can overlook some of the dialogue issues with the people in the street, soldiers etc, some unnecessary padding out of the love interest bits and the formatting issues, it's actually one of those books you don't want to put down. The story moves from the UK to Europe to the US and back, so it's fairly fast paced. Relevant for today, and hopefully won't happen. Enjoyed it.
on 1 August 2013
I enjoyed this book, and liked the plot. It certainly made me think how easy it could be for someone in power to become a dictator so easily, and how we need to be careful in a globalised continent. Some of the real life issues we face are echoed in this book, but in far more extreme circumstances. Quite scary really when thinking about it. Good read overall.
on 13 October 2013
Having only recently bought a kindle, I decided to make this my first kindle book and I was glad that I did. This was a thoroughly enjoyable read.
on 25 October 2013
At one level I found this book an enjoyable read with plenty of action and pace. Interwoven however was a whole range of political issues which were followed through not only to a natural logical conclusion but beyond, to extremes which at times appalled. That made quite an impact - for me the USP for the book; 'different' and thought-provoking.
on 13 February 2013
Each to their own, I enjoyed this book and worth it for the price. It kept me reading my kindle for the last couple of nights. Yes, some say far to simplistic and not well written ... I disagree and better than I could do. Ken Jack may not have the financial or technical assistance available of say Coonts, Clancy etc. but the story made sense.

Would like to have read a bit more about the various battles, maybe more focus on a couple of characters and there were in my opinion, quite thought provoking questions left unanswered about a couple of issues. Don't want to spoil the story for others though.

In short .. buy it or borrow it for your kindle :)
on 25 May 2014
This was a cracker of a novel. The opening line is enough to draw you in and completely absorb you and the idea of cessation is powerfully and compellingly explored. This one is highly recommended by me; I've literally finished reading this today and gone and bought Ken's next book!
on 8 May 2014
A very tall story badly told. The European president is so artificial it is sad. Leaping from one cliche to the next at great pace this book is very personable. A total waste of time and money. Not quite true it will stop me reading any more of this 'authors' efforts.
on 4 August 2014
reads like some UKIP wannabe has created a daft rant. Also contains impossible strategies, most memorable is the paras dropping in battalion strength in enemy controlled air space, yeah right! Let about a story than about Ken Jack's delusions about the EU