TOP 50 REVIEWERon 7 April 2016
I am into portrait photography so when I bought my new camera Nikon D5300, I bought the camera body only and then I purchased "Nikon 20050 AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-200 mm VR II Lens".
This was without a doubt my best bet for a lens and this way I thought "I don't have to buy 2 lenses straight away"
How mistaken was I!

For my portraits, yes I was right, I had the perfect lens.
But after a few days my new camera arrived, it was my daughter's Birthday, so I took my camera out to take good shots of the celebration and... Oops!
Even at 55mm I could not frame enough area.
Yes of course my 1st thought was "I need the 18-55mm lens", but as I had spent soooo much money on me within days and I mean A LOT (accessories, stand, backdrops, camera bag, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc) I was looking for a wide angle lens that could take me through the event without having to buy another lens.
Obviously comparing the price of a Nikon lens (although it was on offer) with this Wide Angle High Definition Lens, it was worth for me to try.

I'm sure right now I must have professional photographers reading this and laughing at me, call me no-eve, but if I made this mistake, someone else can too.
Perhaps me sharing my experience can help others not to make the same mistake.

Once received I realised all reviews are correct.

Maybe if you are looking for a standard quality macro lens this item can help you to an extent. Clarity is not amazing but its standard clear.
Quality is obviously reflected on the price, but it's not too bad.
But if you are looking to have a wider angle... this item is useless.

To start with you cannot even use the wide angle lens without the micro attachment on. (This was not stated anywhere when I made purchase)
And for my personal opinion the wide angle is more a fish eye angle rather than anything else.

And that is how we learn sometimes, making mistakes. :(
This order and item for me was a clear mistake.

Thank fully to Prime and its amazing service I was able to return this item and purchase my needed "Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II Lens".
Sometimes you can't simply replace the basics can you?
on 21 January 2017
Doesn't fit a Nikon D3300 like it's stated to !
22 Comments|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 12 April 2015
I am happy with this product. It is exactly as expected for a £10 lens adaptor.
The issues that other people have found with this lens adapter are all endemic to the whole range of products.
This is a magnifying adapter to reduce the focal length of a lens by a ratio of 45:100, it is not a fisheye lens. It is not a stand-alone lens in its own right at all and shouldn't be expected to perform as well as this.
I have used this on a 28mm f2.8 Nikon lens and the field of view is increased to that of a 13-14mm lens (on a cmos sensor, that will become an effective length of around 18mm), and also on a 18-55mm kit lens - opening the 18mm end to around 8mm (effective length of 12 on a cmos - so almost fish-eye).
There are some real issues around sharpness outside of the centre third of the image, with chromatic aberration clearly visible the farther to the edges of the frame that you get and vignetting in the corners when used below about 22mm, but as this is a 1) Cheap adaptor and 2) inferior glass to the original lenses this is to be expected.
The purpose of this adaptor is to increase the field of view of a lens and it does that. If you want top-quality results then you will need to pay top-quality money (and buy/rent a dedicated lens). If you want a nice little bag-piece that has potential to be used for some rather interesting effects (particularly once you are aware of it's idiosyncrasies and prepared to work with them rather than against them) then it is well worth £10 on its own.

What has saved this from a 3 star review is the macro adapter, which works very well. It needs very precise focus control, as the depth of field is unforgiving, but the in-focus area - particularly if you stick to focusing in the dead-centre of the frame, rather than the edges (there are still CA issues around the edges, but nothing like as bad as the wide-angle).

At the end of the day, I bought this to get some better photos of my fish, and in that regard it has performed very well. If it was £20, I might be tempted to complain but at £10, it's exactly what I had hoped for.
on 22 April 2017
Well... simply if you are professional, you should not even be looking this side. You are here coz looking for cheaper alternatives for acceptable results (social media :) ).
Considering that, it's a fabulous piece you can get under tenner. macro to be used alone while wide angle both lenses are required.
While macro results (you need to go extreme close to subject) will give your wow clicks, wide angle you need to zoom a bit to remove black corners. Wide angles doesn't give you that wow (coz there can never be comparison between macro and wide, they are two completely different) factor but it gives you what it says - that extra wide angle in your existing lens.
While I enjoy my other costly lens, it has given me reasons to reinvent basic 18-55mm.
on 20 April 2017
This did not fit my Nikon 3300 as it claims.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 25 January 2018
Does the job, good for the price
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 6 November 2015
I personally think this represents extremely good value - of course you lose a small amount of clarity by having this attached to your camera lens but for the price it offers an extremely good extra-wide angle shot to be taken, providing different and interesting shots to what you can achieve with a standard wide lens.

To limit the distortion or loss of clarity you can hold back from pulling out to the widest angle and have it set just a step or two from its maximum. Personally, there are some shots that can look great with a natural fisheye/vignette framing the photograph and if your main subject is central and doesn't require great detail around the edges of the shot (or indeed, actually benefits from having softer edges to the shot) then you can have a lot of fun with this ridiculously affordable lens for a creating some lovely or unusual compositions.

I strongly recommend the lens for the price and suggest giving it a go to see what you can achieve with it.
on 17 November 2012
This lens is a fantastic piece of kit. I bought this a few months ago for my nikon D50 and after reading some of the previous reviews i was a bit dubious about it but thought what the heck its only £8. When i got it it came in a little plastic type bag and strait away i noticed its weight and that this is a solid piece of kit and is well made. The housing is metal with a big chunk of glass inside it and it looks quite good aswell it doesnt feel cheap and plasticy but almost proffesional like and has lens caps on both ends. It was a bit fiddly to get on the threads at the end of my lens but after a few shots i now have it sussed. It does feel a bit heavy when attatched to the camera but you get used to it quite quickly.The macro part screws off from the wide angled bit and other attatchments can be screwed onto the end if it.
So how well does this lens take photos??.....well i have 3 different lenses that ive tried it on an 18-55mm kit lens a 28-80mm D lens and a 105mm macro lens. On the 18-55mm and the 28-80mm this lens works really well. Its nice and sharp and does not degrade any quality from these lenses at all in fact it slightly sharpend up the images on my 18-55mm kit lens!!!! I prefere using it as a wide angled lens as it works really well it has a very noticable wide angle of view and comes in very handy for getting that bit extra image into your photos, the macro lens is also pretty impressive for what it is and it does get you that bit better magnification to your subject but since i have a macro lens this one is only used as a wide angled lens which i use on my 28-80mm lens all the time....in fact its never off this lens because i like it so much.
The problem with this lens was when i attatched it to my 105mm macro lens, it would not focus at all!!the image was really badly blurred and i could not get it to work at all maybee something to do with the way the macro lens worked??? so i was a bit dissapointed with this because i wanted the wide angle for my macro shots.
My final view on this lens is that this is a very nice "extra" to have in your lens arsenal and is well worth the money spent on it and i would definately tell a friend to go buy one and if it was made in bigger focal lenths i would definately consider buying another but i would be wary of what lens you try it on as it worked well on my kit lens and the D lens but did not work on my macro. Even though it did not work on my macro i would still give this lens 10 out of 10 just for the extra wide angle it gives without degrading the image......what more could you want!!!
11 Comment| 47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 22 July 2017
Can't tell the difference
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 8 January 2014
As a macro attachment this is OK, just about on a par with a macro screw in filter. However when attached to a decent quality Olympus lens to use to widen the angle all it does is cause image degradation. I have uploaded 2 images including one of a tree branch at the edge of photos taken with and without the filter. There is a huge quality difference for no change in angle of view unless you like the round 'fisheye' type of image which isn't even a fisheye.

To be fair I did try it on my Panasonic 45-200mm (MFT so 90 - 400mm equivalent) and there was some increase in angle of view without the same vignetting so perhaps if you only have a standard or tele zoom lens then this device maybe of some use.
review imagereview image