on 6 March 2013
Wow what a great little printer.

My cheap Kodak colour inkjet finally gave up the ghost so I had to buy a new printer. I just bought a Samsung (from PC World not from Amazon) but after six hours I could not get it to connect with my wireless network. The next day I took it back and got a refund.

Then I bought this HP printer, it was delivered within two days (1st class post selected). This is MONO laser printer, copier and scanner. I had it set up and printing within five minutes of unpacking it, it could not have been simpler.

I have cable broadband with a wireless router and I have many devices connected to my home network (both wired and wireless) including 2 laptops, 1 netbook and 1 NAS server. The easiest way to set this up was to use the HP smart install option by connecting each pc to the IP address of the printer and downloading the latest drivers and firmware straight to that pc.

Within one hour I had the whole house fully connected and printing fine, including the HP ePrint system, which means you get a dedicated e-mail address for your printer, so you can send any doc (and attachments) to your printer from any pc, anywhere, and even from your smart phone.

I've had HP printers previously and they have always been reliable. I tried the cheap end of the market (Kodak, etc), but although the printers are cheap, the ink costs always add up, and bloody ink jets never last that long! so I have gone away from ink jets and gone back to laser (toner) which are far cheaper per page.I also decided I don't really need colour, so have gone back to Mono (black only).

The only down side I can think of here is that this does not do auto duplex printing. It does do duplex, buts its manual which means you have to turn the paper over yourself... big deal.

This is a great little printer, suitable for home or small office use, its easy to set up, easy to use. The included software is also useful (print utility, set-up, scan options, OCR software, etc. What more could you want?
on 6 November 2011
I bought this MFP to run on my mac network 3 months ago and to be honest at first I was disappointed. Only the printer side worked on a mac, the scan was not compatible even though advertised as, and it was slow.

But finally last month HP released a new version the the firmware and drivers and now everything works in Mac OSX Lion. The printer is extremely quick from pressing that print button. Although the scan only works through HP director, it is good quality and very easy to use. The AirPrint is very useful to print directly from an iPad or IPhone and is also very quick.
Setting up HP ePrint is also a useful bonus and works well.

So if you buy make sure you download the driver from the HP website, the driver automatically includes the latest firmware and is very easy to install.

One thing the toner that came with the printer is not full it is supposed to print 1600 pages however, only using it to print letters it is down to 20% with only 386 pages printed. So buy an extra toner.at same time.
on 22 February 2012
(Wed evening 22/2/12) RATING 1* only - and I've NEVER given 1* before!!!!!
What a waste of an evening trying to install - OK the printer installs but the fax / scan option is greyed out - software is terrible - I am considering returning if another evening is wasted in trying to install - beware! It shouldn't be like this - using with an iMac - losing patience with both - come back PC!

(Sat 25/2/12) OK then - it's now the weekend and I've had a second bash at it - "upped" the star rating - was 1* should've been 5* but given 4* due to the hassle to get things up & running on our iMac.

Suggest using this option as per below rather than trying to get info from forums as this was scary (using terminal = Mac's version of DOS :-( and not an attractive option).

2 x problems - 1st to get installed and 2nd to get on the network....

1. DON'T use the CD supplied - go to hp.com/uk/diagnostics - navigate to installation etc - choose 1217 software and install full software option from internet (and uninstall printer if already tried from CD)
- This should do it - but don't rely upon firmware update from CD installation - it didn't work for me.
2. Wireless Network - need to go to <Sytem Preferences> <Options & Supplies> <Utility> <Open Printer Utility> <Click EWS Browser> and follow instructions & when the HP window comes up in Safari or whatever you are using.

Thereafter easy for iPad to print wirelessly but overall installation came at a price and not immediately intuitive - although it seems easy from the above (but all computer tasks are easy when you do the right thing!
VINE VOICEon 5 April 2013
This printer was purchased as our scanner would no longer work with a modern operating system (thanks for nothing canon) and our laser printer (an HP 1018) was getting a bit old and tired so we decided on something new and 'technical'

The printer went straight in on the wireless, no problems with teh printing at all.

No scanner...

Logged onto the HP web site and ran the diagnostics and it all started working without a problem.

Connecting a lap-top was dead easy as well.

Just download the drivers and run the printer install sequence.

Next step is to install a tablet...
on 17 November 2012
I have a Mac using Leopard, a PC running XP, and a laptop using windows 7. All three connected perfectly through wireless to this printer. All three can also scan wirelessly. For this alone I would give the printer five stars. Wireless printing improves your quality of life considerably!

The only thing that lets this printer down is the manual double sided printing - because it is not duplex, you have to reload the paper it has printed. Unfortunately this printer must get very hot inside as it curls standard paper, so upon reloading, you often get angled prints, torn sheets or jams. It probably requires the best printing paper - I have't tried that yet.

The menu would be better if backlit, but the most I've used it for so far is to press copy and ok ( yes it slso functions as a photocopier ).
on 30 January 2015
Great printer with very good print quality for black and white documents. The print speed is decent and I like the two-sided manual print option. I have been using it for over 6 months and so far it never failed. Although, I must admit I am not a heavy user and this unit is used at my home. I have not used the wifi printing option but did try to play with it once. I found it too fiddly and gave up after a while as I don't really need this feature at this time. The HP eprint feature is a welcome addition but it is not 100% reliable. The printer also gets offline time to time. The ink cartridge that came with it lasted for ages considering it's complementary, I think it gave well over 650 prints. I do not use the scan feature to scan high quality photos, but I can assure you guys that for a standard document, this scanner is more than sufficient. The copier works great too. Overall, it is a great printer for the price.
on 8 June 2013
After my beatiful Samsung SCX4500W stopped working, I moved to this HP, and I am quite happy with it.

It operates seamlessly, the drivers are good, works with iOS devices, MacOs, Windows etc. No random problems, always ready to print or scan.

It is one of the best multi function I ever had. You can even find cheap (~£10 for 1600 pages) print cartridges, which makes this printer very desirable.
on 23 October 2014
Firstly, I should say that I'm writing this review after using the printer for the past year, as this is the only way to properly review an item.

I used to have an HP then switched to a fancy Epson when it needed replacing, which had top reviews on Amazon (probably from people who had not long used the thing!). After finding that I was constantly having to change the colour cartridges (whether or not you use colour, colour ink is injected each time anyway), I was completely fed up and thanks to the Amazon returns policy, was able to return the Epson printer and get this one instead. Before buying this, I did a lot of research on Which. This one was in the top 10 and seemed to best meet my needs. When I got this, it was like a breath of fesh air after my Epson ordeal. It's very fast being a laserjet but also much more economical to run than the old Epson one (which was however cheaper to buy). In summary, I would say beware of buying a fancy cheaper printer that turns out to be much more expensive to run- I found that to be a false economy (especially as they are designed to reject non-original branded cartridges). This may not do colour, but it is a solid, fast and reliable printer and scanner.
on 11 April 2013
11th April, 2013
Good laser printer bought after Which review recommendation. (viewed in local library). i was a bit reluctant to purchase at first as I'd had a bit of a nightmare with a previous HP officejet pro inkjet colour that was extremely expensive on the cartridges that also froze the machine if one inkjet cart was empty and also bled ink inside. Eventually junked!
This printer however is different. It was connected via WI FI to both a Mac and PC. In connecting it up I let the Mac do it's own thing connected with no real problems. *I did not use the supplied disc with MAC driver on as this seemed to confuse the Mac. I just let Mac sort itself which it did surprisingly easily. *
The PC. The instructions asked that I plug the printer in to the PC initially with a USB to the PC which I did even though I wanted a WI FI connection. The PC then searched on the HP web site for the printer driver. I did not use the supplied disc as the PC seemed to do it's own thing in searching for the correct printer driver which it did off the HP website no real issues, other than that fairly simple but you have to be patient. Following on screen instructions the PC was later able to "talk" to the printer via WI FI and print.

The Mac took about 20 mins from sitting down to finish to load driver and the PC about 45 mins.
I've only just come to change the supplied genuine printer cartridge after some 5 months home light usage which has prompted this review. I suspect this original supplied cartridge was not fully charged with toner but it came with the printer to start off with and it's done its job. (Just have to work out how to get all this plastic recycled!)
I bought a spare original HP cartridge when I bought the printer on another reviewer's recommendation. On reading some of the adverse user reports on replica cartridges I'm glad I did buy a second genuine cartridge I think it's worth paying a bit more for the genuine printer cartridge for the reliability and sustained quality. Good BW printer for the price in my opinion esp if you've got someone studying at home.
on 11 June 2014
As a printer it's pretty good stepping up from an epson inkjet

Connects via ethernet and wifi. Also offers print options for IOS devices on your home wifi network without the need for special IOS apps to be installed (like HP's own IOS app) which is good - printer is automatically located by your IOS device as long as it's switched on.

On/off switch is cheap and feels like it won't last very long but the keypad feels more robust.

The ADF is picky - if you are scanning multiple pages and it mispicks/jams then the hpscan software does not let you unjam/repick and then continue scanning where you left off. HPscan also doesn't let you specify where to scan from (flatbed or via ADF) - I tried a trial version of vuescan which offered this option but not explored further.