on 14 August 2012
Very glad I purchased from this seller, excellent service and communication. I had been meaning to purchase a German crock pot for some time now as my attempts at fermentation in jars etc have often ended in the contents being thrown into the garden waste bin. My first batch of fermented sauerkraut/kimchi mix in my new Crock Pot have exceeded my expectation and I feel the quality is excellent as my sensitive digestion is not giving me any problems at all. I did add some veggie probiotic bacteria mix in capsules that had a variety of bacteria in it and I feel this has not only added to the quality but speeded up the fermentation process. Before using the pot I made sure to simmer the clay stones in water/vinegar, then leave in the oven for half hour and then leave to cool down slowly, so I had no mould problem at all and started my second batch as soon as I emptied my first fermented batch out of the pot. This food is now my absolute staple, I eat it morning, noon and evening.
65 people found this helpful
on 15 January 2013
A number of years ago I tried saurkraut in Sweden. It was WONDERFUL. Since then I have purchased it in jars from various place and to be frank, it has put me in mind of how chewing on an old sweaty sock might taste should one decide to do such a thing. I've never been able to recreate the flavour.....until now.

This is a very heavy jar and it arrived well packaged with no damage direct from germany.

A google search will throw up numerous recipes and you can begin producing your own saurkraut full of beneficial cultures. Very tasty and nothing like you would buy from the supermarket and because it has the lip for the water to create a seal, the risk of mold is reduced. Our first batch was ready to eat after about 9/10 days, with no contamination.

Quality product, should have many years of use out of it.
39 people found this helpful
|66 Comments|Report abuse
on 1 March 2016
Contrary to some other reviews here that mentioned an internal glaze, which i don't like the sound of anyway, this one was unglazed on the inside.

It lasted a year, then the 4th batch spoiled horrifically. A mistake was assumed, 5th batch carefully prepared, and spoiled even quicker which was baffling for a while.
Then i noticed that the entire inside of the pot was thinly veined with mould. What initially looked like a huge network of tiny cracks turned out to be a deep infestation, so deep into the structure of the clay that some mould had even went right through to the outside, rendering it entirely useless, and too expensive to ship back to Germany.
A shame.
14 people found this helpful
on 14 July 2016
I've had this almost two years and have used it maybe 6 times. I'm glad I didn't review it at the time, as while I've had it for a while, I haven't used it that much and I felt I need to review it, as while it's a perfect size and system for making large batches of pickle, the internal glaze has become increasingly damaged, like its bubbled and peeled off. Consequently, the last batch will need to be binned, after I found a shard of brown glaze in my sauerkraut this evening. In fact, the bottom 1/3 of the pot is terribly pitted, I shudder to think we may have already eaten some of this in our 'healthy' pickle already.
8 people found this helpful
on 13 September 2013
Great design and easy to use. Good fermentation results. I would recommend this as a worthwhile buy. It has been made specifically to be light to carry and also chemical free clay. Perfect.
14 people found this helpful
on 19 February 2017
Reasonably priced, prompt delivery, well packaged and in perfect order - this is a lovely piece of kit; it also comes with a leaflet with very nice recipes for pickling various vegetables, and it's a good size for the hobby chef; if you want to pickle smaller quantities, just pack less into the jar.
2 people found this helpful
on 24 October 2013
This was really nice and sturdy, far more robust than I thought it would be. Should make making Kraut very easy. Only downside is the directions and everything are in German only. So still trying to get things translated.
7 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 27 February 2018
Bought this for a mate to ferment some cabbage. This seems to be a really good quality. I actually bought another brand with a larger pot for myself and think the MS-Steinzeug pot is better.
on 5 August 2014
Arrived in good condition. Very well made and my first batch of sauerkraut came out beautiful. Only downside was the 'inner stone' weight broke very easily. Other than that it is a quality product which should last for years.
8 people found this helpful
on 28 December 2014
Wasn't sure what to expect as have never seen or owned a fermentation pot but wanted to give this to a friend who had been talking about making their own sauerkraut for health reasons. It certainly is a good size and heavy! The weights are also quite substantial. Overall from the recipient's reaction, I'd say this is probably a good buy.
One person found this helpful