on 9 June 2011
After reading the other reviews I wasn't going to bother, but I've been playing it all day and this record is so good. There is no filler - just music that hits your soul from beginning to end. I don't do track run downs but a couple get special mention, at least for today. It will be others tomorrow. 'Midnight in Harlem' should become a classic. I could listen to it forever and will never tire of it. Susan's voice is sublime on this, and Derek's playing as good as everything he does. And the rest of the band are no slouches. A fantastic ensemble piece. Then there's Learn How To Love. Really dirty guitar that put me in mind of Hound Dog Taylor at the start, then riffs Jimmy Page would only aspire to. I say that because you could imagine (well, I could) Led Zep having a crack at this, but Robert Plant would never reach into the soul like Susan Tedeschi does. But this is no guitar rock album. It's blues and rhythm and soul. Wonderful stuff.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 4 October 2017
Revelator, is the debut album of the married duo Derek Truck and Susan Tedeschi. The two accomplished musicians put their heads together alongside a vast array of musicians to form the Tedeschi Trucks Band. Soulful bluesy rock group that has one of the smoothest sounds I have heard in a long time.

The curse of being a married couple in a band does not seem to take effect for this group. Revelator, is an extremely solid piece of work that shows both leading musicians in the peak of their career with some wonderful guitar work from both Derek and Susan, the latter also has a beautiful voice. One that is put to good use as she sings with a lot of feeling. The music itself is a bit of a mixed bag of styles ranging from the kind of mellow blues rock that The Allman Brothers Band were known for, but mixing it up with more folk, soul and some funk every now and again.

The overall tempo of the album is quite laid back with great use of melody over the top of some superb grooves performed by the bands dual rhythm section of Tyler Greenwell and J. J. Johnson. These two, alongside bassist Oteil Burbridge provide all the other musicians plenty of room to breath. The tracks that stuck out to me were, Come See About Me, Midnight In Harlem and the extremely catchy, Bound For Glory. Each track had melody where it needed it, a hard rhythm where it was required and a solo or two when it needed that extra something. The only thing I would have liked to have heard was a little more variety in terms of tempo. One or two short rock n roll numbers would have helped the momentum a little, but that really is a minor gripe.

I really enjoyed this album and it actually convinced me to buy the rest of the catalogue. I see a lot of promise in this band. It is a group of great musicians with fantastic chemistry. They know what they do well and they're doing it here. Revelator, is a great album that I wish I had discovered sooner.

Published by Steven Lornie of Demonszone
on 17 October 2012
This debut album from the Tedeschi Trucks Band is actually an album from some seasoned performers at their best. Fronted by husband-and-wife team Derek Trucks and Susan Tedeschi, and featuring members from their respective solo groups, this album is proof of a theory I have long held that the biggest bands make the gentlest music.

Despite the huge personnel list and the rich and full sounding arrangements, this is a gentle romantic album, full of soft dobros, acoustics, swells of brass, and whispery organ sounds. Derek Trucks plays a mellow, vocal slide guitar, only occasionally resorting to the blistering solos found on tracks like I Wish I Knew, or Don't Miss Me from his previous albums. The emphasis here is on rich melodies and bubbling grooves. But there is plenty of musical skill on show though both in the songs themselves, and in the live-in-the-studio jam style cuts Shrimp and Grits and Ghost Light (the latter being a hidden track that sensibly appears about a minute after the album closer and not after fifteen minutes of silence as used to be the trend with these things.) The two cuts fade in and fade out again giving hints of just how amazing this band's playing really is, as the slide guitar growls over rich improvised textures.

Susan Tedeschi's soulful vocals draw you into the original songs, ably assisted by Trucks band singer Mike Mattison and singer songwriter David Ryan Harris. These are songs about love, loyalty, commitment, forgiveness and hope, flavoured with religious expressions of prayer and praise. One of my favourites is the album closer Shelter, with its uplifting chorus, soft finger-picked guitars, and bluesy vocals the accompany the final solo are amazing. But the album also covers the darker side of life whether it is the lonely lover waiting `until you remember that you're mine,' or the plea `oh lord, don't let these walls fall down.' The lullaby like quality of Midnight in Harlem is a counterpoint to the darker subject matter, the heartbreak and deprivation. But the outlook is ultimately positive. The songs encourage us to love, to forgive past hurts and value those who are close to us, the ones we know we can rely on.

So, if you want a gentle, complex, romantic album, that occasionally breaks into the swagger of two southern rock jam bands, you might want to give Revelator a try.
on 28 July 2011
Torn between 4 and 5 stars for this review.

Derek Trucks has made some fine albums (check them out elsewhere on amazon) and he has a superbly fluid style with the guitar. On this album the style moves on yet again - with some delicious interplay with Susan Tedeschi and the rest of the very fine band - and it deserves to be aa huge success. File it under blues / rock / soul as you see fit - its a cracking good album.

The catch is that there is one obvious area for improvement, which is - at the risk of starting a domestic... - the vocal range.

I have to agree with the reviewer who said that Susan Tedeschi's vocals are quite ... edgy and energetic, or even "rough". Sometimes this works (eg the opener, come see about me) and on some tracks she sings in a gentler more melodic style (shelter, midnight in harlem). But elsewhere - it grates. And it grates even more if you know DT's earlier albums, and you've heard the vocals on them (Mike Mattison is the lead singer) - very soulful and melodic. You can hear him on harmony vocals on this CD too.

So ... If anyone from TTB is reading this - please please for the next album(s), share the lead singing duties between Mike Mattison and Susan Tedeschi...
on 25 July 2011
This is such a "Cant put down or switch off" Album.....Utterly fantastic.
I saw them perform together on the "Clapton Crossroads 2010" DVD.
I also saw them perform at the Royal Albert Hall, as they guested with BB King back in June. So I thought I should give them a listen.
The album is fantastic, with just a couple of "album fillers".You know what I mean. But the 2 band merge with 2 drummers works well. Tadeschi vocals are a mellow soulful blues which are fantastic and trucks slide guitar has an excellent phrasing quality.

Big thumbs up, fantastic.
on 26 January 2013
Susan Tedeschi and husband Derek Trucks combine to magnificent effect on this enjoyable blues-soul fusion. Her blues inflected voice and his technically brilliant and lyrical slide guitar grace some interesting and well constructed songs. The band, including organ, piano and horns, support their leaders admirably. Accessible without being bland. One of the best albums I have heard for a long time.
on 23 August 2016
Its good but not great. Susan had a fantastic voice which is underused on this I feel. I was hoping and waiting for her to let rip. Guitar is fantastic though.
on 3 July 2012
I first came across the band when I saw them on Sky Arts when they showed a couple of songs they did at one of Eric Clapton's Crossroads gigs. This led me to want to hear a bit more of their music, so now having now bought the album I'm glad I did. There is a good variation of sound and tempo, crossing many styles. One of the songs from the crossroads gig was Midnight in Harlem which I really liked and had that on repeat for a few times when I first played the album, but the stand out track for me has become Until You Remember. It was one of those moments when Susan Tedeschi was really giving her all that the hairs stood up on the back of my neck. Such power and emotion in one go. The repeat button really got a pasting with that track. As for Derek's guitar playing - I thought it was just nicely understated when it needed to be and strong on other occasions. There is the odd track that I can take or leave, hence only four stars, but overall an album that I'd recommend to anyone who likes Bonnie Raitt or the Allman Brothers.
VINE VOICEon 24 May 2016
Came across this band from some Youtube clips. Great slide guitar work, great vocals - a very tight band of super musicians playing good music. Highly recommended.
on 27 September 2012
Having stumbled across The Tedeschi Trucks Band on you tube, I decided to purchase this album....
What can I say.... Great individual sound that provides a listening delight, they manage to combine various musical genres that come together beautifully....
If you have a broad taste in music, buy this album....
You WON'T be disappointed!