Format: Audio Download|Change

on 26 November 2016
A great little book!
I first read this book some years ago but I've noticed that I love to dip in & out of it. Yes it's predictable in many ways from Seth Godin who loves to push & push, but lots of us do need a push. This is a book about getting out of your comfort zone & pushing boundaries, not just once or twice but daily or whenever you get chance even if you don't get the results you'd like.
I recommend this book to you even if you just need some reassurance that you are not crazy 'stepping out there!'
on 7 January 2014
This book is brilliant. It gets you motivated. It helps you eliminate the fear of failure. A must read for all
on 15 August 2014
As always with Seth Godin, the idea behind Poke the Box is simple – your organisation needs to take the initiative and ‘poke the box’, to start experimenting with things to breathe life in to the company and push things forward. Godin has great advice to give, and you’d do well to listen to it, even if it seems pretty basic in comparison to his other work.
on 29 March 2015
A refreshing compendium of positive snippets of advice, giving the reader an alternative take on making good your business ideas and how any setbacks (that will inevitably occur) are essential building blocks to eventually becoming successful. Easy to read, makes sense and the fun cover means that I keep picking it up and flicking through chapters.
on 1 March 2011
Through the first several books Seth held our attention and our hands, showing us how to become remarkable, how to forge relationships, and how the best marketers establishinng meaningful connections with their consumers. With Linchpin it felt like he was letting go, showing us how the magic the best ones wielded was within our reach, and we only had to put those hands to work and grasp it.

Poke the Box feels a bit like a continuation of Linchpin - but in a good way. If we weren't paying attention in Linchpin, if we haven't taken the initiative and begun making Art, or even if we need encouragement now we're trying, this book tells more.

It's easy to read, a series of tiny articles or stories that elaborate on the point: there's no time like the time we're living in now to make a change. Or in one word, 'Go.'

In some of the pre-release literature, it was expressed, 'Hurry.'

It doesn't read like a traditional business book, because it's appealing to what we as individuals can contribute. For me that's a message I need reminding of.

Seth doesn't remind in the usual sense though. As with any message that's really, really, vitally important, it has to be said again, and re-articulated in a way that makes it fresh and gives more opportunties for it to resonate with the reader.

What's next I wonder? I would like see him discuss the post-Go world. I would like to see the majority of readers having GONE! and created Art and made a difference.

I also love the idea of passing the book round to a distribution list written in the back of the book. I bought five or six copies of Linchpin to share. My kindle Poke the Box is already highlighted. I expect I will be similarly back for more copies.

If you want to do something, and you're waiting for permission, just GO! Read this, and get the permission and encouragement you need.
on 2 March 2012
I've never read a Seth Godin book before and, having seen some of the positive reviews of Poke the Box, had high hopes and looked forward to receiving some inspiration from this book. Unfortunately I've been left more than a little disappointed.

While the book does contain a couple of interesting thoughts and does start quite well, the lack of substance in the second-half of the book becomes very frustrating and, in the end, the lack of depth is impossible to ignore. I would honestly still feel a little short-changed if the book were half the price. (Seth refers to the book as a manifesto and I think a lower price for something akin to a manifesto, albeit one without detail, would be much fairer.)

I've given this book two stars rather than one purely for the idea; the concept of just starting things is a good one and one I think does need to be explored further. With more substantiation and thought around it there could have been a really good book here - maybe I'll start to write one! However, books such as Four Hour Work Week I have found much more adept at providing the necessary inspiration to actually start and get on with doing things than Poke the Box.

On a positive note it will not deter me from trying another Seth Godin book as everyone deserves a second chance!
on 4 June 2014
One of my favourite pieces of advice is "write a bad first draft, because you can't edit a blank piece of paper". Seth takes this further. You can't do anything if you don't start. Great re
Ad and thought provoking. Don't read it if you are not prepared to do something about those thoughts...
on 19 March 2016
Big fan of Seth Godin, he talks a lot of sense. I enjoyed this book, it was easy to get through. It may be because I don't have an idea I need motivation to push into action i didn't recieve the full benefits of reading it. It's very general, and I did find a lot of it common sense.
on 25 May 2015
I found this book to be poor, easily the worst "business" book I have had to read. Glib and obvious in part, incoherent elsewhere. It seemed to be just a bundle of his (frequently good) short blog posts arranged in a stream-of-consciousness style sequence.
Hockey superstar Wayne Gretzky neatly summed up the subject of this Seth Godin book when he said, "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." On every page, in different ways, Godin admonishes, cajoles and persuades you to take your shot. He pushes you to "Get Started!" because, he contends, innovation followed by action is the only way to succeed in today's globally competitive world where quality and good service are standards. Godin is a dynamic speaker and blogger, and his book reads like a speech or a blog post with short sentences, inspirational one-liners and nutshell examples that hammer home his main point. Although it lacks the substance of his previous works while covering much of the same ground, getAbstract suggests this book to those who need a swift shove off the couch and to all Godin followers who will relish his evangelical style, passion and forcefulness.