• Thaw

Thaw
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.28

on 5 July 2012
This was another of those books that kinda sneaks up on you. To begin with, it seemed like it was going to be one of those "good scientist vs bad scientist" tales with dashing pilot stuck in the middle. Thaw lulled me along in that mode for a good while before - BANG! the monster appeared!

And what a monster! Without giving too much away, this turned into something of a gorefest but it never got to be just about the gore, which was a clever turn of things by author, Bryan Dunn.

A real "Ripping Yarn" and what an ending - could there be a sequel? I hope so!
on 29 December 2012
I wasn't expecting to like this book very much but I was pleasantly surprised to find that I really enjoyed it. It moves along at a good pace and kept me interested right to the end. A very interesting and funny monster story.
on 28 November 2015
A thoroughly enjoyable monster-stomper. Easy to read with an interesting plot.
on 10 August 2012
Had this been the first book I had read with this theme (Monster trapped in ice, thawed and wreaks havoc) I would have thought it an excellent book however as I read it I kept thinking I have heard this all before.
The actual story is well structured and fast paced, I am not sure about the French bashing which is rather overdone and some of the dialogue does not ring true for example one of the lead characters is in a life threatening situation and , to quote the authors words "This is bad," Harry said, nervously stating the obvious.
The descriptions of the ice and the locations are superb and the characters are interesting but unless you have never read a book with this theme I think you will find it a case of déjà view.
on 30 December 2011
I always like these sorts of stories where a bunch of fools go into an island / research base / lab with a monster / alien / creature etc and everything goes wrong. A great story and well written, if you like a good monster story where the cast is greatly reduced by the end then worth getting.

Could I suggest that you tell your publisher to stop been foolish and remove the 'Jaws on the rocks' quote from the cover, other than people getting eaten it has no relevance and is tacky name dropping to 'big' your own book up - you don't need it as your book is good fun based on it's own merit - otherwise you might as well have it on all your books...Jaws in the Jungle, Jaws in a small town, Jaws with a tattoo etc etc. Just a thought :)

Looking forward to your next book.
on 25 May 2012
I bought this book on a whim as I like "Creature Feature"-type books and films. What a good choice. The book is very fast paced, has some nice characters that I actually came to care about, the creature is cool and I really got engaged when reading it. Dunn's style leans towards short chapters which (together with the above points) meant that, even though I was tired from a hard week at work, I found myself thinking "just one more chapter and then I'll go to sleep". The result being that I went into work the next day tired but happy. I love it when a book grabs me so much that I just can't put it down.
If I had to make a comparison I would compare it to Matthew Reilly's "Scarecrow" novels. Both just have an energy that picks you up and carries you along for a fantastic ride.
So, take a chance, spend a few pennies and enjoy "The Thaw" too.
on 17 April 2014
I fell in love with the Kindle app on my phone and did a massive download of cheap horror pulp novels. In my binge I've stumbled across some great authors like Guy N. Smith who I hold with great regard and inspiration for my own writing. Up there with him is now Bryan Dunn. I picked up Thaw expecting some prehistoric-monster mash in the vein of Jaws or The Thing (Who Goes There?). What I got surprised me! I wasn't expecting the monster to be what it turned out to be, I found myself laughing along with the quips of the characters and it was overall a fun and fast-paced read for the train and late nights. I felt though that while I enjoyed the fast paced some plot points could have been further developed such as betrayals and back stabbing. Some parts seem just too abrupt for me to keep up with it, and also the locations became very static at certain points but overall, I got a nice surprise and a great fast paced read for when I just want to enjoy a book.
on 22 June 2011
Just go with the flow and enjoy a good rip roaring adventure yarn even if it is a bit ridiculous.
on 10 April 2012
I had to give this 5 stars as it was a gripping story and written so well I could imagine easily what was going on. Thank goodness I read it during a Bank Holiday otherwise I would not have been able to go to work as I could not put it down.
on 1 April 2013
Thaw is a horror novel about an ancient frozen creature which gets defrosted causing chaos on a huge floating iceberg. The story contains a rough edged hero, a beautiful damsel in distress, a wicked scientist and cannon fodder soldiers. There's no earth shattering revelations or insights just a solid action romp with lashings of gore. The episode with the French characters is cringe worthy but apart from that this is a good piece of ebook adventure escapism. Enjoy.