Top critical review
4 people found this helpful
on 13 February 2012
After reading about this game in a PS3 magazine, I was quite excited about it as it looked like a more brutal form of MMA than we see in the UFC games.
Unfortunately, my excitement was completely misplaced as this game is a steaming pile of excrement. There really isn't much to say in the pro column but I will try to give a break down below:
1. The graphics are decent
2. The voice acting is decent
3. The fluidity of the submissions is good
(yes, that's all I can think of)
Cons (prepare for a long list):
1. None of the characters are recognisable, the only one based on a real person is Jens Pulver, how far he has fallen in the MMA world to be included in this piece of crap.
2. The downloadable character that was available as a pre-order incentive was an absolute nobody and when I looked him up on wikipedia, he has a crap record and is not worth having in the game.
3. The game play, while fun to begin with, gets old very very quickly. The stand up is very basic, giving you maybe 2 or 3 kinds of strikes, the ground game is equally basic.
4. The game is done in a very arcade style, i.e. instead of being able to finish an opponent with an unexpected punch landing well (i.e. like really MMA), there is a health bar that must be depleted in order to win. This would be fine with strikes but when you lock in a submission, this just takes down the bar a bit then is let go! What is the point of a submission if you can't submit anyone?!
5. The counter system is very very wooly, it's pure luck as to if it works or not whereas the computer will counter everything past a certain difficulty so that you can't land a shot.
6. The story mode is pathetic, only maybe 5 fights per character (of which there aren't many). Cut scenes are told through static graphic novel-like illustrations and the story is never more complicated than "I have a rival, I need to beat him".
7. Despite boasting to be the first MMA game to have female fighters, there are only 2. This makes the story mode for each of them even more pathetic than the male ones.
8. There is a definite emphasis on fighting style i.e. each character is good at one thing and crap at everything else. Completely missing the point of MMA.
So, overall, a very poor attempt at a mixed martial arts game, even if the intent was to make one more accessible than the UFC undisputed franchise. I'm not in the least bit surprised that you don't hear much about this game now as it has faded into the void of crap games.
Avoid and buy UFC undisputed 3 instead.