on 6 February 2012
Purchased this from Amazon, it was a genuine Microsoft product (beware some cheaper options which may turn out to be a restore disk from a hardware supplier) and the installation was very straightforward, easier than XP, and only took about five minutes. If you're building your own system there's no point in paying extra for the full retail version, the OEM version is fine. I'm very impressed with V7 compared to XP, much quicker and easier to use in many ways.
on 11 February 2012
After a dalliance with Linux - Ubuntu and Macbuntu - I have to say it's a joy to be back with bloody Microsoft. It's the girlfriend you understand even when she's got a blackhead on the end of her nose. W7 is the best of the Windows operating systems - stripped back, fast and fine on my 3 year old laptop.
I loaded from fresh so I can't tell you about compatibility issues (not sure it'd work with my 10 year old HP Laserjet)and you need to format your hard drive to NTFS (which you have to do before installing) but apart from that everything went smoothly.
And, if you are wondering whether you should go for the 'proper' version, I wouldn't bother - when did you last try and get support from Windows?
The laptop now takes pride of place as part of my TV setup - supplying internet access to the Xbox and letting me watch TV Catchup and BBC iPlayer - can't say fairer.
on 29 July 2013
This is as far as I can tell a genuine Microsoft DVD, and is supplied with a licence key on a sticker so that you can stick it on to your PC after installation. It's not hard to install, but it comes with no instructions, so the assumption is that you know what you're doing and you know how to install any drivers that might be necessary. I used this after refurbishing my daughter's laptop, and I needed to find and install a driver for the internet connection, which of course I needed to download on another PC and then install on the laptop via USB memory stick. In my case everything else worked fine using the standard windows drivers, so it's all good.
on 11 April 2012
I bought this for a PC I built - if you are reasonably tech-savvy and can google for answers rather than using a helpline, save some money and get this OEM version.
I haven't had a crash in the 6 months I've been using it and I like it so much I bought another copy to put on an Ubuntu machine - that got rid of the greyouts and software compatibility problems on that machine and I have a home network set up now.
In hindsight the 64 bit version might have been better (32-bit can only use/see 3.5Gb or so of RAM) but really, I have no complaints.
Fast install, and no major drama with drivers or any software I installed.
on 20 September 2013
Upgrading from Vista to Windows 8 was a terrible mistake, which I corrected by purchasing and installing Windows 7 from Amazon. Having a power meter plugged into my PC, I was surprised to see that with Windows 7 my PC is consuming less power than with Windows 8, probably because it's less graphics intensive. And I have more programs installed on Windows 7 than I had on Windows 8, and no BSODs as I had with Windows 8. With a Vertex SSD my machine boots in 15 seconds.

I am very happy with the purchase, don't be put off by the fact that this is an OEM, you won't reinstall your PC very often.
on 12 May 2013
Microsoft have very good guide notes to change from XP which needs to be a clean installation not an upgrade. They provide a file that takes the settings of your programs and applies them when you reinstall the programs. I use office 2003 and was pleased to find that when I reinstalled it I still had all my macros. But not with Excel. The whole process was not as difficult as I had feared and was worth the trouble, especially as support for XP will cease next year.

Startup time of Windows 7 seems to be much faster than XP but of course it is not weighed down with old programs.
33 Comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 January 2012
Hello great for folks building a new system from scratch,thing i like is that you get the media to install ,instead of a partition with a recovery util to create a backup,if like most people its when the hard drive fails or you need a bigger disk than you are stuck.

I`ve had personal experience of this happening ,so always get a OEM version as mentioned ,easy to install and the updates can take awhile,activation is pretty straight forward online so very pleased with this purchase.

Price was reasonable and with free delivery (from Amazon super saver option)
on 26 June 2013
I brought Windows 7 Home Premium to fix a broken laptop because the Operating System was corrupt and went wrong, I brought this operating system and I installed it on a Acer Laptop and it fixed the whole laptop well, And the service was great it came in 1 day as I clicked on the 1 day express button, So basically I am really happy with this product and will buy it again if I need it again :) DOES THE JOB PERFECT :)
on 19 April 2014
I have an 8yr+ old Dell Dimension Desktop, much beloved, and despite working in IT I got caught completely on the hop when the windows XP end-of-life pop-up appeared. It was never going to run windows 8 with its CPU security requirements and what not and Windows 7 is no longer officially on the sale anywhere it seems.

This thankfully did exactly the job. Fellow Irish customers I used the excellent Parcel Motel service by Nightline to get it delivered to Ireland indirectly. I did a fresh clean install and the old windows xp and my old files were simply packaged away in windows.old. I use mostly open source software so re-installing was a breeze - the sound-card and monitor drivers were the trickiest. But overall I was up in running in just a few hours. Activation and recognition of the windows key were all fine - 6 more years ! (Windows 7 end of life)

One note of caution: If you have an older PC like mine turn off the default power management that turns off the PC whenever idle - it was too much for mine and the power supply blew within a week, fortunately an old spare made a fine replacement..
on 2 September 2013
The installation process was much easier than I imagined. I had all my driver disks to hand, but only needed them for the sound.

It's a much cleaner, smarter operating system than Vista or XP. Just seems like a nicer experience.

It's not perfect of course, has issues with not showing files when moved / deleted, need to hit refresh sometimes to see them.