on 24 April 2002
I am in 1st year at the academy and in my English class I have read a novel called Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh. It is a great novel because it has great characters in it.
It is all about a mouse called Mrs. Friby and she has four children and she has a sick child called Timothy and Mrs. Frisby goes out on a journey to get help from rats for medicine. There is farmer called Mr. Fitzgibbon who is going to run over their house with a tractor and the rats help her and her family to move house.
I would award it a five-star because it is the greatest book I have read in Englissh at the moment and if there is anybody out there who is thinking to read it should read it.
on 27 April 1999
The first I ever heard of this book, I was all of 10 years old. My home teacher, Mrs Bird, would read to us in the closing minutes of the school day. It wasn't too long before we were all totally captivated by this gorgeous litte tale. But the year came to an end too soon and we never did get to the end of the story. Now, 20 years on, I figured it was time to find out just what happened to The Frisby Family and the mysterious Rats of Nimh.
It is spring and Mr Fitzgibbon is getting ready to plough his field. This causes a great deal of distress for a family of field mice who have their winter home in an old cement block in the field. Normally, at the first signs of spring, they would pack up what they could carry and move to their summer home, far removed from the tractors and ploughs. But this year Mrs Frisby's youngest, Timothy, falls ill and the doctor's advice is, above all else, that he not be moved. But what can she do? With little time to spare and simply no other options available to her, Mrs Frisby seeks out the Rats of Nimh and before too long, she finds herself caught up in the company of these amazing rats.
Thus, we enter the secret world under the rosebush. We learn how the Rats of Nimh came to be, we meet Nicodemus, Arthur and the brave Justin, we learn all about The Plan and the role Mrs Frisby's late husband, Jonathan, played in the Rats' colourful history.
It's a wonderful story with delightful characters - Mr Ages, the doctor; young Jeremy the Crow; the fearsome farm cat, Dragon and above all the brave and simply lovely Mrs Frisby, who is determined to save her family - at all costs.
It's a book that will appeal to everyone - regardless of age!!
on 26 October 2003
A marvelously written adventure story that turns the animals into great fully fledged characters. A book that I first encountered in the early seventies and continue to read and recommend now. Buy it for the kids and read it for yourself.
on 2 December 2003
I am only 12, but was engoed by this epic story. It was better than the moive, which is a rare thing for me to say. I would recomed this book to anyone with an heart and soul. I prosime, you will be suprised by a the twists. And I would like to thank my Teacher, Mr. T, for reading tis book.
on 29 April 2015
A classic American novel. Actually great literature in the guise of a children's book. Different from the film. Both magical. This is one of those rare special books that comes along far too infrequently in a lifetime. I was captivated, couldn't put it down.
This is obviously an excellent book, but here's what might be an interesting thought. There are lots of books with animal characters, but in very few of them do you really feel like the characters are those animals, (as opposed to just characters that have been put into animal bodies). For example, the one complaint I read in reviews of Brian Jacques' "Redwall" series is that scale is always way off, and characters don't act like the animals they are supposed to be.

Here, the rats are rats and the mice are mice. They think, behave and cope just like you would expect sentient, intelligent rats and mice to act. So, in addition to the charm of the story and the appeal of the characters as such, you also get a chance to really appreciate the creativity that went into conceiving and writing the book. Fun bonus.
on 20 June 2004
I have just sent this book as a birthday present to my nephew. I could not resist sending it as I have read it so often and enjoyed it every time. As a child the idea of sentinent rats fascinated me and I was wholly engrossed in the tale of their escape from the laboratory, having never realised animals were even experimented on. I would gladly buy this book for every child I know!
on 23 August 2016
Another classic childhood book which I enjoyed our teacher reading to us. I never got to read the actual book myself until now. Very good book and you could not get tired of reading it. The animated film does differ slightly but that's with all books and films. A must read for all
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 24 February 2015

on 2 April 2015
Fantastic story, great to have rats as positive characters for children to see and not the usual predictable bad guys, thieves,mean, dirty vermin. We owe a lot to rats, they give a lot to us by giving up their little lives in labs. They didn't start the plague either gerbils did! They make intelligent friendly pets and it's good for children to see them in a better role as wise rats, love this book.