Format: DVD|Change

on 7 June 2013
My wife and I traveled to the Yorkshire Dales (from our home in Los Angeles) for the first time in 1982, motivated to see the world that James Herriot wrote about. It quickly became our favorite place in the world--we've been back ten times, the most recent being to celebrate our 50th anniversary. Over the years, we've seen many travelogues and some documentaries about the Dales, but none came near to capturing its unique spirit. So, we were not expecting much from this series. Boy, were we wrong. This is a fascinating, informative, funny, entertaining, and even emotionally powerful series. For the most part, the people that narrator/interview Ade Edmondson introduces us to are benevolent, purposeful, hard-working and love where they live. Best of all, this 12-part series follows most of them over a whole summer (in 2011, I think); when Edmondson says in an early episode, "We'll see what happens to him later on in the series," we couldn't wait to find out. We learned new things about places we'd been to many times (e.g., Bolton Castle) and discovered new places worth visiting. Above all, we got a deeper appreciation and greater insight into what makes the Dales unique. As a professional funnyman, Edmondson could've been over-the-top, but he resists any temptation to be too funny, adding occasional and low-key quips at the appropriate time. And he clearly enjoys following the stories of the Dales people and, above all, very obviously loves the Dales. To see a series that makes us feel almost as though we're there again was a delightful surprise, and we were tearful when it ended. Hope that the second series of 12 is even half as good.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 27 July 2013
This 12 part series takes Adrian "Ade" Edmondson on
a journey through the Yorkshire Dales.
Ably presented and with some well shot camera work
we are taken on tour where Ade meets local people
and visits many places that make up these areas
of natural beauty.

As a fellow tyke, born in Wharfedale, but now living
in Buckinghamshire, I found the mix of nostalgia and
rural life taking me back to the 1950's and yet one
can see that even in the remotest hamlet or village,
dales folk are keeping abreast of the 21st century
in a beautiful but challenging environment.

This is all brought together in a two DVD set,
where we meet, farmers, a shepherdess, the heir
in waiting to Bolton Castle, the Leyburn Band and
the enthusiasts who run the Wensleydale Railway to
name but a few of the interesting items on the way.
All filmed in glorious weather which shows off the
true beauty of the dales.
250 minutes approx
Subtitled.
Published 2011
Well worth a look see.
on 20 January 2013
This was a very interesting series and about a very beautiful part of the United Kingdom. Ade Edmonds made it very interesting by his whole approach to his subject. I would definitely buy another series if he made one.
on 22 June 2012
Very Good DVD and worth every penny to see the true Yorksire Dales! It shows the what the dales and people are really like.
on 8 July 2012
ade edmondsons documentory about the yorkshire dales is done with beautiful scenery and a sympathetic commentary from a born and bred yorkshireman who is proud of his county also known as the gods own county
on 13 May 2012
"It's going to be a wonderful journey". The amiable Ade Edmondson's catchphrase certainly lives up to its promise. This light-hearted trip through "God's Country" is both amusing and moving, in the best possible way. Ade's love of the "Broad Acres" comes shining through each episode, which seem to be over all too quickly.

I was enchanted by the Dales many years ago, being fortunate to live quite close to them, but perhaps from a Yorkshireman's point of view "the wrong end". As a "Lancastrian", my only gripe is Ade's failure to mention that one of the counties "surrounding" the Dales is the Red Rose County!

A minor detail, as a "Lancashire Lad" I'm big enough not to let such an omission bother me, and I'll continue to do "missionary" work every time I enter the county of the "White Rose". In the meantime, good lad Ade, can't wait for series two on DVD.
on 13 January 2013
This is a gem of a series for anyone who loves the Yorkshire Dales and Ade Edmondson is full of enthusiasm for his subject. It's great to meet the people who make the Dales what they are, and love them too. Can't wait for Series 2 to come out on DVD.
on 3 December 2012
I like the way Ade Edmonson narrates this series and so bought the DVD for my relatives (Yorkshire people) who live in Australia,. It will bring back many happy memories for them. And if, like me, you are from another part of the UK still watch because The Dales and their people are magical.
on 5 September 2011
placed the order got the confirmation e-mail got the product , is what it says The Dales T.V series in its complete form. brilliant
on 3 April 2015
I love Ade Edmondsons new programs where he travels around Britain. Loved Ade in Britain the best but The Dales is still enjoyable and if you like Ade at Sea you should also enjoy this. The difference is its the same families throughout. Some sad moments where Ade in Britain is funnier but Ade still makes all the stories interesting. Well worth a watch..