Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.08

on 6 September 2014
Children of the Fog is a mixture of horror, psychological thriller and paranormal that is split into two distinct parts – the first part focuses on Sadie, her relationship with her son and husband, and the kidnapping of her son by a mysterious kidnapper known locally as The Fog. He’s been kidnapping children for years, and yet no one has ever come close to catching him. The second part is Sadie and how she copes without her son, indisputably the love of her life.

Unfortunately, some of Sadie’s choices and actions made it difficult for me to really connect with her as a character. At times I felt sympathetic towards her, other times she was the type of character I love to hate, and on more than one occasion, I found her completely frustrating. I don’t need to like or respect characters to appreciate them, but the inconsistency was hard for me to deal with.

Issues with Sadie aside however, I really enjoyed the psychological thriller part of the story – it was written with the perfect amount of suspense, and the strong sense of not knowing if it was the character losing the plot, or everyone around her, which for me is the mark of a strong psychological thriller.

The horror and paranormal aspects I found rather gripping, although I wouldn’t personally class much of the story at all as horror, the paranormal aspect is much more prominent, and also a little more convincing.

Children of the Fog isn’t a perfect book, but it is the kind of book that I found easy to lose myself in – I wanted to know what was going to happen next, and I was pretty much captivated the whole way through. It’s just a shame that Sadie was so inconsistent for me.
on 10 March 2012
I downloaded this book when it was free but I would of paid for it because its a brilliant book. The storyline is consistent, the characters believable. It's quite spooky in places and my emotions were up and down all the time. No other book has made my emotions jump from sad to happy like this book has. It's a fantastic book and I didn't want it to end. I can't find the words to explain how good it is. You won't be disappointed if you buy this book. I've only had my kindle for about two weeks and I must say it's one of the best things I've bought. It's opened my eyes to different authors which I would'nt normally of heard of. Buy this book I would give it more stars if i could. What a great author.
44 comments| 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 May 2012
This book certainly kept me turning the pages but after a while it was only to see how many more cliches the author could cram into this (as it turned out) short book. It didn't help that it was the 2nd book I'd read in a week where a child became mute - not a good start. The main character had so many things happen to her I'm surprised her clothes didn't keep falling off. In the end I was laughing out loud when she yet again stumbled at a crucial time.

The most annoying thing was that the book ended when my Kindle showed only 57% completed, the rest being made up with promotion for another book. This is unforgiveable.
44 comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 May 2012
Another book purchased on the back of 5 stars reviews (I'm gonna have to stop doing this and start researching better) that although was ok, it never got me to the 'one more chapter before I go to bed' stage. Far too many of the hiccups that happen to our main character hero were just way too predictable. For instance early on in the book, she is told that one day the car won't start due to an alternator problem or something similar and guess what? At the one moment in life when she needs it the most, the car doesn't start. It's a continuing trend through the book which means there was never a surprise.....never an I didn't see that coming kind of moment.

The other most noticeable event in the book, which infuriated me immensely was the fact that the ending is solved on nothing more than our heroine's instinct. Nothing to make you think hmmm, that was clever, I didn't see that coming. The best crime writers will have given you clues along the way (whether you acknowledged them or not) and therefore the end gives you the satisfaction that a great amount of detective work was done to solve the crime, rather than how this book unfolds with pure intuition.

If it's free, give it a try. Don't expect miracles though and don't be disappointed if you do end up, well... disappointed.
on 20 March 2012
I must say I really enjoyed this book. The plot was well thought out and kept you wondering right the way through. My emotions were on a roller coaster ride....one minute I was smiling the next trying to read through tears. I downloaded this as a free book, I would have gladly paid for it.....the best book I have read in a very long time. I will certainly keep a look out for this author.
on 21 May 2016
I finished reading Submerged this morning and downloaded Children of the Fog - needless to say I've read it cover to cover and what an excellent thriller, I was so tense reading it I just couldn't stop until I got to the end. I will keep both books and reread them again; they're that good that once will not be enough, I will have to read them again at a later date. Well done Cheryl Kaye Tardif, you are an excellent author who has written spell binding books, thank you
on 10 May 2012
WOW! You HAVE to get this book!! A REAL page turner. Characters are very very believable and every part of the story just draws you in for more. I would want to meet Sadie and hug her!
Please do read "Children Of The Fog". You will not be disappointed!!!
I am now on to Cheryl's "next" book (for me)......"Whale Song".

Steve.......
on 22 January 2013
Yep, as most reviewers have already said, the story was completely unbelievable...but isn't that true of most stories within the horror genre?? If you want reality, try the non-fiction section.

I loved this story. It was creepy and shocking in all the right places. It seemed to capitalise on the fears of every parent. I couldn't foresee the ending. I thought I had it sussed but the twists and turns kept me guessing right until the final page.

Having never read anything by this writer before, I was totally surprised by the talent I had been missing out on. I will be looking for more of this lady's titles.
on 20 March 2013
This is a wonderful book, with believable characters and full of emotions the reader can relate to. Not wishing to give too much away, it follows the story of Sadie and her missing son, and her quest to try and find him. There are lots of atmospheric passages that keep you gripped, so it does not disappoint or lose momentum, and because of this, it was hard to put it down. It is beautifully written with good use of grammar, I'm pleased to say. I will be looking out for more by this author, definitely.
A "must read", in my honest opinion - a really great thriller!
on 8 December 2012
I've had this book on my kindle for a while,I wish now I'd read it as soon as it was downloaded,what a book! It was a real rollercoaster, I don't even know how to describe it, part thriller, part horror/supernatural and just when I thought I knew where it was going it took me in a different direction.I loved it, I felt for the main character with her imperfections, and struggles and I liked some of the other characters a lot too,I was totally captivated by this book,and can't wait to read more by this author,definately a winner for me I recommend it to anyone who wants a page turner they can get lost in.This is an author I am starting to really like.