Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.84

on 15 May 2011
I am not a great fan of americian humour,as a matter of fact ninty nine percent is absolute rubbish,but this book is completely different,a very funny lady with a dry humour,well worth the money,carry on lisa give us some more laughs,a great writer
on 31 October 2011
Confessions of a Call Center Gal was recommended to me by a friend and as soon as I heard the title it reminded me of two things. The first made me think about all the jobs I have had, which I hated and would love to be able to write a book about. And the second? Well unless you are British I doubt you will understand why I had this second thought but I thought of the TV show Confessions of a Call Girl with Billie Piper. Probably because the titles are so similar but also because they are both an hilarious look at industries we don't get to see much of. Well Lisa Lim lets us delve right into the life of this Call Center Gal.

Maddy has just graduated from college, with a journalism degree and is ready to begin her career in print media. There's just one problem Maddy seems to have no luck finding a job she wants. With unemployment being so high and the economy in such a state, Maddy has only two options left - working as a service rep at a call center in Pocatello, Idaho or staying unemployed. Maddy chooses the first option and is plunged into the wild and dysfunctional world of customer service at the Lightning Speed call center in `Spudsville.' At the call center she must deal with obnoxious callers who abuse her all day long and an evil boss who won't get off her case. Maddy manages to find a way to survive and that comes in her smouldering gorgeous co-worker Mika, who Maddy has an enormous crush on. Along with a close group of hilarious friends and a lot of patience. Don't hang up on this novel, as Maddy learns about herself and just why everyone looks down on call center workers.

I loved the character of Maddy and found her so relatable. In fact Maddy reminded me of one of my closest friends, with her witty sense of humour, and unique dialogue. She is someone who I would be friends with very easily, and defiantly a lot of fun to be around. I found myself laughing out loud as well as cringing along with her throughout the novel. I also really liked Maddy's unique quirky look at the situations she was placed in, finding that she sounded the age she should without coming across as immature. The way Lisa Lim brought in her own voice and views on call center's and the way staff are treated by customers to be very refreshing and with her humour added in very entertaining. Even if you have never worked in a call center, you will be able to relate to the way Maddy is feeling. I have worked in hotels and restaurants and found many of the situations to ring true with these professions as well. Anyone who has ever worked in customer service will find something that can agree with from a personal standpoint. There are so many hilarious scenes in the novel which will literally have you laughing out loud, one of my favourites being the `how to speak Chinese'. Maddy's group of friends in the novel are ones who I wish I could be friends with, everyone needs a friends like Troung, Kars, Ingeborg and Mika.

Even though this novel is hilarious, there are times in the novel where humour is used that some readers may find a little offensive. I personally didn't find any of the novel offensive, seeing the humour for what it is and that no harm is meant. If you are sensitive to toilet, racial or religious humour then you may want to take caution with reader this novel, as a lot of this type of humour is thrown in. Lisa does state though that if you are offended by shows like `Chelsea Lately' then you may not like the novel. In some places of the novel I did find that some of these types of humour could be toned down, especially the toilet humour, but so long as you take it with a pinch of salt you were laugh at almost all of this novel. The only other issue I had with the novel was the use of slang that Lisa sometimes used which made her characters appear younger than they actually were. If you are fresh out of college then this type of slang is perhaps relatable, if you are any older than that, you probably won't enjoy it. I felt as though at type it made Maddy seem as though she was younger than she was.

What did I think of the novel overall? Well I have to say I really enjoyed it. Confessions Of A Call Center Gal, reads like a season of the Office (the British Office with Ricky Gervais, which I find a lot funnier than the American version) with a dash of chick lit thrown in. I could really see this novel being made into a sitcom on NBC, it would fit right in and I would be tuning in every week to watch. The characters are all hilarious while still being relatable, the storyline honest and Lisa Lim's writing style witty. I was recommended this novel by a friend and have now been letting all my friends, who love chick lit and comedy, know about this novel. If you want to read something a little different from your typical chick lit novel then this is the novel for you. In Lisa Lim's own words `don't hang up on this novel.

Georgina
Chick Litaholic
on 14 August 2016
I enjoyed this. Although it is a novel, I suspect the author has worked in a call center at some time as she was spot on. Written in the present which was unusual. I enjoyed the book and having worked in a call center had a few laughs along the way. No really a huge plot to it as such but still enjoyable.
I loved this. Hysterically funny, laugh out loud funny even. I could not put it down. It was also spot on in it's depiction of life in a call centre. Noone likes doing the job but someone has to right?

I loved the characters. Some of the names were amazing. The author has a keen eye for satire! I also like the backdrop of the 'will they, won't they' relationship of Mika and Maddy. it was there quietly simmering in the background with all the hilarity going on in the forefront.

I hope the author writes more as I thoroughly anjoyed this and I am sorry it has come to an end!
on 15 February 2012
I found this book to be both funny and, while a little over-the-top in some regards (often the case with much fiction and a lot of good humor), an accurate enough portrayal of working in a call center for anyone not familiar with what this can be like.

I'll get back to the positive, but first I'll tell you a few reasons why some people wouldn't like "Confessions of a Call Center Gal." The first is an idiosyncratic approach to emphasis. This includes occasionally capitalizing all the letters in a word and frequent use of "?!?" as sentence ending punctuation. There are venues where this might be appropriate (informal emails to friends or some internet forums), but in general your words should make the emphasis, if it is needed. A novel isn't the place to use this technique. Even if it was, the technique loses its effect if overused, which was the case here.

The second issue won't be a consideration for most people. When a novel is set in a real place, it is important to get the details correct. It doesn't matter for a reader who isn't familiar with the town, but it might be for those who are. If these details are integral to the story or plot, it becomes critical.

Anyone familiar with the town where "Confessions" is set is going to spot numerous things that don't ring true and some complete errors of fact. For example, the apartment Madison moves into is at least twice as tall as any building in town. None of this is integral to the story and most readers won't recognize any of the issues I spotted as unrealistic. However, using a fictional town would have worked just as well and would probably have been a better choice. Had the book been set in a large city such as New York or Chicago, it would matter that much more.

It feels like after writing this much negative, I shouldn't have liked "Confessions," yet I did. Although it has been a while since I've had to work in one of those low-paid, thankless jobs largely populated by students and recent graduates trying to pay the bills until they can jumpstart their career, I remember enough about what it was like to know Lim nailed it. It is a mixture of fun and frustration, camaraderie and infighting, and experiences both satisfying and infuriating. I've been lucky enough to avoid a call center job, but from working with people responsible for those functions, and hearing stories from numerous friends and family members who have worked in call centers (several in the city where this book takes place), Madison's experiences are realistic (no matter how farfetched some might seem). Last, the rest of the story ingredients needed to transform this from a fictionalized memoir into an entertaining and humorous piece of chick-lit are all in place.

**Originally written for "Books and Pals" book blog. May have received a free review copy. **
on 7 September 2011
This is not my usual genre of book but the author invited me to review it for her.

This tells of the life and loves of Maddison (Maddy) and Karrsyn (Kars)who are friends, well most of the time.

They both find themselves working in a call centre, which is not their ideal job. They work with some very different and mostly amusing characters and a supervisor who is quite fearce. Maddy hankers after her colleague Mika and ends up helping him improve his grasp of the English language by introducing him to decent works of fiction.

The story has many laughs along the way, and working in a call center like I do now, I can understand their talk of the "not ready" button, and how heavily supervisors monitor it. Maddy talks about her 8 hour shifts, speaking to some rather rude people, who she handles expertly.

I did feel that some of the calls Maddy spoke about were a bit too detailed and laboured and she rambled on a bit. I found myself getting bored in parts and quickly flicking through the pages.

For me there was just not enough substance and the book didn't grip me enough to keep my interest. Nevertheless it is a light hearted book and for those lovers of chic-lit you may well thoroughly enjoy it, as many others have.
on 30 November 2011
The writer has cleverly combined the day to day life of a call centre operative with a touching story of friendship and love. As a male reader, I wasn't sure about whether I'd like this book, but I found it very easy to read, and the characters were very real and believable.
on 5 December 2011
If you've ever suffered obnoxious and rude customers then you'll certainly relate to this humorous novel. I couldn't help laughing along at the customer interactions, and Lisa Lim's fresh and fun writing made this a winner. It was nice to see a novel featuring a w
on 7 June 2011
Destined to life in a dreary call centre, Maddy and her best friend try to make the most of it. When Maddy falls for the sexy Mika, fate and timing seems to keep them apart. Will Maddy get her man while dealing with crazy callers and supervisors from hell?

This is sassy, fun, quirky chicklit, and guaranteed to make you laugh-out-loud . Fans of Sophie Kinsella and Marian Keyes will love it. Lisa Lim has made me want to work in a call centre!

Fabulicious with a capital F!
on 3 November 2013
Really Funny. I can associate with it (worked in a call centre), loved the storyline. Someone should think about making this into a movie.