Customer reviews

Monty Don's Italian Gardens [DVD]
Format: DVD|Change

on 8 January 2014
Having watched the series on live TV some time ago I decided to buy the DVD for my wife.
It's well worth the modest outlay, as we can now revisit these beautiful gardens at our leisure.
A well-made series, superbly presented by Monty Don - pitched just right, with stunning scenery & excellent camera-work, music, etc.
The only problem is that we now want to visit them in reality, so it's going to cost me a holiday in Italy!
on 27 June 2017
Package receive on time and in good condition. It was exactly as expected and we have enjoyed watching the dvd
on 29 August 2017
Monty in paradise
on 14 August 2017
So enjoyed and fast service
on 6 January 2012
Monty Don certainly knows how to bring out the most interesting aspects of old gardens and the palaces and other grand residences. He weaves in fascinating historical information that brings the whole to life.
on 18 May 2017
Incredible!
Really beautifully filmed and terrific commentary - not too much philosophy this time Monty!
on 4 May 2017
Brilliat
TOP 100 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 9 June 2011
The Amalfi Coast, stunning villas, formal gardens, Italian History and beauty is what you get in this really fabulous DVD release of a four part series.
Monty Don is always engaging and his warm personality is welcoming, friendly and informative. He gives great enthusiasm to the subject and all of these factors are here in this series.
It is a wonderful series. I loved every minute of it. And this DVD is one to have and keep. I can quite easily watch it again and again.
There are two discs and only four programmes. There are no extra special features but there are subtitles for the hard of hearing.
There is a range of Italian Gardens and all of them are interesting. They all have their own special beauty. The whole series is beautifully filmed. There is good light and colour. Each garden is given interesting detail about the layout and history of the garden. Many of the gardens are not open to the public so this is a unique way to experience these magical places.
I found this series relaxing, interesting and uplifting. Monty Don has always been so likeable and in this series he is excellent.
11 Comment| 57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 October 2011
I have a love affair with Italy so acknowledge a bias from the start. Have also seen Monty Don in other programs. I did enjoy seeing gardens that were not normally open to the public, and also some of the aerial shots which provided perspective not normally seen.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 19 March 2016
I design gardens for a living and have so many garden & gardening books that gifting me such items is fraught with the danger of buying me something I already have. This year, one of the people who regularly buys me gardening books for Christmas went slightly off-piste with this DVD set. I vaguely remember seeing the TV series advertised but as I am not a fan of Monty Don's presenting style (too smug & patronising for me) I didn't watch it. I still don't like his style although he comes across a bit better in this than in his other TV work, but I concentrated mainly on looking at the gardens, a mixture of public and private gardens, some familiar to me, others not. Four episodes cover Rome, Florence, Southern Italy (including the Amalfi Coast) and northern Italy taking in the villas of the Veneto and the stunning gardens of the Italian lakes. This is a series about grand gardens, reflective of the owners wealth and power, I don't recall a single modest garden. The commentary provides some very basic information about the background to the gardens - a function of the limited time available in a TV series - if you want to know more about the history and design you'll need a book or search the internet.