on 11 June 2016
Stunning production with a natural chemistry between the principles and a high quality corps. The performances by Tsygankova and Golding were exceptional but that of Natalia Hoffman as Mercedes also caught the eye. I liked the added touch of cupid helping Don Quichot, I hadn't seen this before.
I watched with some apprehension, having read the negative reviews, but the sound, clarity and motion presented no problems, on my no frills 40" LG and Yamaha Blu-Ray player, with sound through TEAC amp. Despite suffering from Vertigo at the time of watching, due to an inner ear infection, I had no viewing problems.
I often have difficulty picking up detail with fast cross camera panning , but had no problems with this disc.
on 11 January 2015
Normally I would not dream of watching a ballet unless coerced, but this performance was so exciting and visually stimulating that I could not take my eyes from the screen.
However my other half, makes the comment, that it is to some extent theatre combined with ballet - never mind as a mere male,I enjoyed it !!
Buy it !!!! - and the service from Marvelio is first class !!
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 April 2011
I love this Don Quixote. It gave Don Quixote more weight to make the story cohesive. I was totally moved by Don Quixote's determination and kindness when the ballet ended in Don Quixote and Sancho Panza's marching at the center of the stage. The principal dancers were great, the production was beautiful and luxurious. The energy and youthfulness were immediately palpable. There will be more Don Quixote blu-ray release in the future, I think this one will stand as unique as it is today.

Then why only two stars? It is because of the camera work. When the camera moved, the motion blur was just awful. Out of 23 ballet blu-ray discs I have, only two suffer motion blur this bad (the other is Balanchine's Jewels by Paris Opera Ballet, Opus Arte 2008 release). I watched it on a 120Hz LCD TV. LCD TVs can have different degree of motion blurs, but I am sure this is not the case. I used a computer software to look through the video file frame by frame. I found that the blur occurs within the frames, that means you will see it on plasma TV as well. Those who are sensitive to motion blurs should be prepared for headaches if you decide to watch it :-).
1111 Comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 February 2016
Beautiful and clear picture until there is any dance movement on this blu-ray version then picture judder and blurring make it unwatchable for me. I cannot understand why it is sold. However received immediate refund when returned. Strange when dvd is acceptable.
on 26 April 2013
Just finished watching and first of all thank you to all of you who complained, b/c this is probably why Amazon.co.uk brought the price for this Great Blu-ray to it's lowest. As a U.S.A. customer and we do not pay European VAT, I ended up paying around £5 including delivery.
This Don Quichot will be one of the best ballets I have and I like it as much if not better than Swan lake from Paris Opera. I live in the U.S.A. and played this disk on Pioneer player set to "source direct" and watched it on Pioneer Elite 111fd and Pioneer Elite SC-37 is my receiver. One again, NO PROBLEM here in the U.S.A. Ballet itself - 5 stars! Anna Tsygankova - 10 Stars! PQ - 5 Stars! AQ - 5 stars!

Thank you for reading!
on 30 April 2011
There is an issue with this disc. The images are so blurred in motion, that you can not follow arm and leg movements. I personally got a headache after watching 30 min. of this otherwise fine ballet. I suspect that something has gone wrong in the mastering of the disc, as I own other discs without this problem.
on 3 June 2015
Very enjoyable, however similar to a previous review I agree that there is some motion problem with this blueray with movement being a little blurred. This being no fault of the supplier.
on 21 July 2015
A fresh approach to the old favourite, it compares favourably to the Royal Ballet's fussy and poorly-lit production.
on 1 February 2016
Once again a superb DVD from the Dutch National Ballet. Marvellous and exciting dancing. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
on 21 October 2015
Wonderful Ballet - I have watched it over and over. Some really superb dancing. Highly recommended