on 19 December 2013
As a plumber, over the years I've owned the Turbotorch Extreme 504, rothenberger superfire 2 and the bernzomatic Ts4000. The Turbotorch I found to be an expensive , plasticky piece of rubbish, which didn't seem to like Mapp-pro gas( in spite of being rated to run on it) and pretty much fell apart after a few months.
The rothenberger and bernzomatic are identical bar the nozzles, which are cross compatible, and are good enough, for the job, which is why they are the mainstay of most plumbers toolkits.

However, they do have a design that allows the nozzle neck to become quite loose, or even snap off if knocked off.

Having had my bernzomatic stolen off site last week, I thought I'd take a chance on the monument, and so far so good. Sturdier neck design, uses replaceable nozzles ( which look compatible with rothenberger/bernzomatic ones, though I can't verify that at the moment)
The body of the gun is a skin of what I assume to be pressed steel, covering the internal components, which seems to be held together with PH0 screws, so hopefully no more searching the bottom of my toolbox for tiny Allen keys for future maintenance.
Performance seems good so far, though the flame adjustment seems quite sensitive, but this may be because it's new and not befouled by the usual onsite dust and dirt yet.
All in all a pleased purchaser, and would recommend it to other plumbers/pipe fitters/gas engineers etc to give a try
on 3 October 2014
Good product. Needed it to fit my Primus 2000 bottles for Plumbing. I had to buy an adaptor to convert to bottle size, as this is sized for larger thread, but that was not expensive. You have to do the same for similar products like Rothenberger, which cost a lot more.
on 2 March 2013
Very pleased with this gas torch. no silly bits that brake off when you nock it over. good price when compared to merchants. will recommend to all other plumbers i know.
on 16 April 2016
Monument have been making plumbing tools for years so this brand is a good choice. I have owned a rothenberger torch of a similar design until the nozzle tube kept coming loose then finally snapping off. The monument torch is as good or even better in some aspects , the nozzle tube feels like a better design than the rothenberger and costs a lot less ! I'm sure this will last me quite a while as it feels like it is very well made.
on 25 September 2015
Worked successfully for one prolonged application. Pulled it out to use a second time (6months later) and wouldn't burn properly. Tried Amazon returns. Only guaranteed for three months. Recommendation: buy from someone that offers a legal requirement 12 months g'tee. And don't buy this torch as it has a very limited lifespan.
on 4 April 2015
Well built, ignites first time every time, easy to regulate the flame and perfect for what I wanted. It might be a plumbers tool but I use it in the kitchen for searing off meat etc. I might seem a bit overkill but if you are serious about using a blowtorch to brown and caramelise you need serious blowtorch, don't wast you money and time with the tiny kitchen torches or the the mid sized DIY ones, get one of these. If you want brown off a sous vide leg of lamb, rib of beef, you need something that can get to a high temperature and not take forever to brown the meet so you end up cooking it and undoing all that time in the sous vide. This torch get to a really hight temperature, especially with the MAPP gas. I get perfectly browned meet and it's never cooked in more that 1mm at the most so always just howI want it throughout.
on 31 December 2015
should have bought one of these years ago, Monument have been going for years, my dad used their tools & never had a problem, a lot cheaper than a rothenburger that the young pup plumbers of today use at twice the price! This does the same job on copper pipes no sweat, it also heated up a re-inforced steel spike (twisted fencing pin) in the vice for me to bend a piece of p***. Button for permanant on with one touch release, easy control of flame, nice contoured grip & feel, 1st class bit of kit, good build quality, my old dad would be proud of me following in his footsteps!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 2 July 2014
This torch is marvelous. On and off with the simple press/release of a button. Flame adjustment is easy by the knob to the rear of the torch and there is a lock-on button at the front above the on/off button. Once locked on, a simple press of the trigger is enough to deactivate the lock. Turning the on/off switch fully clockwise prevents the torch being activated accidentally. So much safer to use compared to my old butane torch.

I opted for Todays Tools MAP-Plus gas bought from the local plumber's merchants for £13.50 a bottle. The difference in heating is phenomenal compared to butane, both in speed of heating and amount of heat it applies.

I have to buy X Large in gloves, and for me, this torch fells solid, well built and really comfortable in the hand. I can't make a comparison to the more expensive makes but I can say I am more than happy I opted for this one. It will do everything I need at a fraction of the cost of some of the others.
on 7 May 2014
Useful tool; fits the 400gm cylinders; works as needed; comfortable to use; with Propane a good high temperature flame. Pleased to have it.
on 8 February 2014
Well made, well priced and performs well. As good as others which are much more expensive. Would recommend buying it.